NORTH TEXAS (7-5) at WICHITA STATE (8-5) Pregame Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mean Green Sports - UNT Prepares For AAC Debut At Wichita State

The UNT men's basketball team begins a new era on Thursday as they make its American Athletic Conference debut at Wichita State on national television.
    Tip-off is scheduled for 8 p.m. CT and the game will be broadcast on ESPN2 and the Mean Green Sports Network, presented by Learfield.

Coincidentally, Thursday's AAC debut for North Texas pins them against an opponent they shared a conference with for 18 years. The Mean Green and Shockers were both in the Missouri Valley from 1957 through 1975.

Thursday will be the 39th all-time meeting between the two schools. Their most recent matchup, on Dec. 18, 2021, was a memorable one for the Mean Green. In a then non-conference battle, UNT trailed Wichita State by 10, with 18 minutes remaining in the game. But North Texas proceeded to hold the Shockers scoreless for the next 12 minutes and 42 seconds and turned its 10-point deficit into a 10-point lead. They went on to win 62-52.

North Texas (7-5) enters the conference opener on a two-game winning streak. The Mean Green own the nation's No. 4 scoring defense, holding opponents to 58.9 points per game. This will be just their second true road game of the year. Since 2021, only Houston owns a better road winning percentage than North Texas. The Mean Green are 19-5 (.792) in road games since 2021.

The Shockers (8-5) are also a formative defensive team and one of the best in the nation at rebounding. WSU averages over 43 rebounds per game, which ranks ninth in the nation. Wichita State won seven of its first eight games this year but heads into Thursday's game having lost four of its last five.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

You never heard of this team Cold? Might want to brush up on your history a little!

Comment

Cold...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I attended the WSU = Michigan NCAA tournament game at North Texas when their arena was new. What a heartbreaking loss that was!

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker View Post
            I don't know where discussion goes for the pick em game, but I think everyone picked Tulane to beat Tulsa, and they forgot to show up for the game and lost by almost 20.

Tulane is dead to me now.
            I'm confused. Tulane hosts Rice tonight and Tulsa hosts Memphis tomorrow.

I figured it out. The Tulane-Tulsa score you saw was for women's basketball.
            78-65

Comment

Originally posted by Topshock View Post
              I attended the WSU = Michigan NCAA tournament game at North Texas when their arena was new. What a heartbreaking loss that was!
              Ya, we had them way down early as I remember

Comment

North Texas has some solid guards who can shoot and defend. Their frontcourt is a weakness and the team as a whole struggles to finish at the basket. SF Aaron Scott and PG Rubin Jones were key contributors to last year's NIT championship team (RIP mid-majors in the NIT) and have continued to develop into larger roles this season. JUCO transfer Jason Edwards is a strong scorer.

Comment

If we don't at least split the next two we will be looking at a horrific start. Everyone lift your left foot so we can start on the right foot. Shocks 78-71 KP and DR leading the way.

Comment

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

I'm confused. Tulane hosts Rice tonight and Tulsa hosts Memphis tomorrow.

I figured it out. The Tulane-Tulsa score you saw was for women's basketball.
                      I'm confused as well.

I thought I had missed the game, went to the AAC website to look for results this AM. I thought I read that Tulane lost to Tulsa last night. Went and checked just a moment ago, and there's no mention of it. Maybe it was a reset of the matrix. ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                        Anyway, that’s what it’s like when Cold posts.
                        Or when you're standing in front of the mirror in the morning trying to figure out how to stuff your fat ass into a snowsuit.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

This makes no sense as we lost to them a couple years ago in Wichita. It also makes no sense because it's not a bad school and brings a lot to the table.

I know some of you only see things through basketball, but a lot more goes into things than just that. And for the University as a whole, the American is still where we belong. I've said it many times, but the University as a whole benefits from being grouped with other urban research universities. The University as a whole benefits from having reaches into Texas, and now we have direct avenues to the three largest metro centers in the state. The growth of the University doesn't happen without being in the American. It has helped the Innovation Campus and enrollment. It's helped with prestige and how we're viewed on the whole.

While the Big East would be nice for basketball on the surface, being connected to a conference that is essentially private Catholic schools in the northeast doesn't do much of anything for the rest of the University. We're not going to make gains in the northeast like we have and will continue to do in Texas. Travel becomes even worse for all sports teams. We don't fit as a university into anything other than basketball. There would be a lot of negatives that would come along with it. And until we get things righted, being in the Big East would be detrimental to even basketball.
                          "This makes no sense as we lost to them a couple years ago in Wichita."

And I'm thankful to say, I didn't even know it happened. Had I glanced at the results, I would have figured it to be a buy game.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

"This makes no sense as we lost to them a couple years ago in Wichita."

And I'm thankful to say, I didn't even know it happened. Had I glanced at the results, I would have figured it to be a buy game.
                            I am sure it was a buy-game, wasn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post

I am sure it was a buy-game, wasn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

I'm confused as well.

I thought I had missed the game, went to the AAC website to look for results this AM. I thought I read that Tulane lost to Tulsa last night. Went and checked just a moment ago, and there's no mention of it. Maybe it was a reset of the matrix. ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????
                                Those schools did play last night…in women’s basketball. Tulsa won by 18…just like you thought (kinda).
                                78-65

Comment

Working...
                                X