The Golden Eras of Shocker Basketball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Golden Eras of Shocker Basketball

Handful of years in the 60's, 80's, and 10's. Hope you didn't miss the last one as they are normally spaced about 20-30 years apart. I called the end of the last era in 2017. We probably won't see another as amateur sports is now pretty much dead. I'm thankful I got to drink up every drop of the Marshall Era. Indebted to that man for a truckload of lolz and

Haven't really paid attention to Shocker Basketball since the day he was fired.

The good ol' days. *sigh*

Merry New Year's and Happy...

Oh, and you to the Cheatin' ChicKUns. You corrupt SOB's are an embarrassment to good Kansans everywhere.

Remember when Marshall put 'ol boy on speakerphone?

He should have the keys to the new head coach's latrine to lay his morning steamer at will.

P.S. If Gene was #10, the current WSU basketball coach would certainly be #21...

Comment

That 19 pt comeback against SWOMO. Their lead erased in 10 minutes. We broke them completely.

We broke Houston at Koch also. Went up by 300 at least. HCGM not only built WSU to greatness, he built Teh Coogs too. That ass-whipping was the catalyst to THEIR golden era.

And now they're in the not-so-big 12 lol. I mean... only a couple years ago they were on a half-century NCAA drought. Amazing.
      Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; December 31, 2023, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I barely remember a game MANY years ago that we played OT with only four players and I think we won it. Was listening on my little transiter. Anybody remember that game and where? I want to say at BYU or Utah St. I was pretty little but a big fan even then.

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
          I barely remember a game MANY years ago that we played OT with only four players and I think we won it. Was listening on my little transiter. Anybody remember that game and where? I want to say at BYU or Utah St. I was pretty little but a big fan even then.
          I was thinking it was at Indiana State and Fast Eddie Folger was our coach.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I was thinking it was at Indiana State and Fast Eddie Folger was our coach.
            Partially correct. Bench clearing altercation at Indiana State. I believe Papke was in on the original conflict. Indiana State finished the game with either 3 or 4 eligible olayers. I think they may have out scored us that half but we still got the W.

I’m fairly confident in most of these details.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

Partially correct. Bench clearing altercation at Indiana State. I believe Papke was in on the original conflict. Indiana State finished the game with either 3 or 4 eligible olayers. I think they may have out scored us that half but we still got the W.

I’m fairly confident in most of these details.
              Don't know if this is the game being referred to above, but i believe your description of that game with ISU is correct.

Comment

Not the game I was thinking of. Late 50's I believe. We started the game with about ten players and fouled out six going into OT
                Last edited by asiseeit; January 1, 2024, 08:28 PM.

Comment

More thoughts:

Shocker bowling + Grand Canyon University = ???

Wichita used to be known as a city full of entrepreneurs. Wichita State has an "innovation" campus. We need to innovate our way out of this mess. Completely disregard the NCAA (and even our conference) as much as possible.

1) We need the absolute best coach money can buy

2) Our non-conference schedule must be Gonzaga-esque. Play anybody, anywhere. This allows us to to create a synthetic power conference membership.

3) The NIL has got to be filled to the hilt.

These are the goals. Revenue cannot only come from donations. WSU needs to leverage all its streams, perhaps even go into commercial business and locate/capture/generate a stream of income that can feed our basketball program. Offer stock/ownership to players. Make their investment into WSU something that lasts beyond college. Turn Wichita State into a freakin' semi-pro team filled with college students who also happen to be partners in our success. No half-measures. Throw out the manual. We MUST find edge and force our way back into the big game.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                    More thoughts:

Shocker bowling + Grand Canyon University = ???

Wichita used to be known as a city full of entrepreneurs. Wichita State has an "innovation" campus. We need to innovate our way out of this mess. Completely disregard the NCAA (and even our conference) as much as possible.

1) We need the absolute best coach money can buy

2) Our non-conference schedule must be Gonzaga-esque. Play anybody, anywhere. This allows us to to create a synthetic power conference membership.

3) The NIL has got to be filled to the hilt.

These are the goals. Revenue cannot only come from donations. WSU needs to leverage all its streams, perhaps even go into commercial business and locate/capture/generate a stream of income that can feed our basketball program. Offer stock/ownership to players. Make their investment into WSU something that lasts beyond college. Turn Wichita State into a freakin' semi-pro team filled with college students who also happen to be partners in our success. No half-measures. Throw out the manual. We MUST find edge and force our way back into the big game.
                    Lmao. “WSU needs max NIL but they need to do it in a way so I don’t have to contribute.”

Cold is reaching Shaq levels of laziness.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

Lmao. “WSU needs max NIL but they need to do it in a way so I don’t have to contribute.”

Cold is reaching Shaq levels of laziness.
                      "Revenue cannot only come from donations"

Learn to read blubber boy. We clearly do not have enough charity revenue to get it done. And believe me, enough dollars can get it done, just look at Memphis.

I can't tell you how the innovation campus was built. I know most of those businesses are not making sufficient investment to support that kind of commercial development. In fact, I believe most are tenants. I suspect the taxpayers are involved. It may take a few little friendly Commies to get WSU back to top 20 status. I mean... Chuckles could flash the pen, but he clearly isn't made of the same stuff as T. Boone.

What happened to the mill levy money? Are we still getting it?

What about all those fat government grants the engineering dept. is getting awarded every year. How about a 1% "administration fee" off the top. :)

Somebody is going to have to find some money - for baseball too. Those two Shocker sports is about all Wichita has. And the last F4 gave this city MASSIVE exposure. Perhaps it's time the municipality invests heavier in WSU.

We gotta find an edge before irrelevance becomes permanent. It's all about finding creative ways to raise more money.

Comment

I thinks someone's girl friend dumped him. So now he has plenty of time to post Idiocracy on SN again.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

"Revenue cannot only come from donations"

Learn to read blubber boy. We clearly do not have enough charity revenue to get it done. And believe me, enough dollars can get it done, just look at Memphis.

I can't tell you how the innovation campus was built. I know most of those businesses are not making sufficient investment to support that kind of commercial development. In fact, I believe most are tenants. I suspect the taxpayers are involved. It may take a few little friendly Commies to get WSU back to top 20 status. I mean... Chuckles could flash the pen, but he clearly isn't made of the same stuff as T. Boone.

What happened to the mill levy money? Are we still getting it?

What about all those fat government grants the engineering dept. is getting awarded every year. How about a 1% "administration fee" off the top. :)

Somebody is going to have to find some money - for baseball too. Those two Shocker sports is about all Wichita has. And the last F4 gave this city MASSIVE exposure. Perhaps it's time the municipality invests heavier in WSU.

We gotta find an edge before irrelevance becomes permanent. It's all about finding creative ways to raise more money.
                          This is exactly the kind of ideas and discussions that should be taking place. Thinking outside the box is going to be essential.

Comment

Endowment. It's the only long term winning strategy. The only one.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              Endowment. It's the only long term winning strategy. The only one.
                              He said endowment. Hehehehe…

Last edited by ShockBand; January 4, 2024, 11:10 AM.
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                              X