• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall quotes from Rothstein

From Twitter:

Jon Rothstein

@JonRothstein

43mJon Rothstein‏@JonRothstein

Really good early season game on 11/13 as Wichita State travels to VCU. Shockers and Rams are developing their own little rivalry.

Marshall on the MVC "Creighton is the team getting all the national attention and Northern Iowa should be very good. The rest is open."

44mJon Rothstein‏@JonRothstein

Marshall on if Wichita State will play smaller "It's very possible.

Marshall on Tekele Cotton "He'll play on the wing. He was very good at the end of last season."

Marshall on Ron Baker "He's one of our better shooters. He's going to command some playing time."

45mJon Rothstein‏@JonRothstein

Marshall on Nick Wiggins "He can really slash. We just need to get some of the JUCO out of him."

Marshall on Cleanthony Early "He's a tremendous talent. He's got all the attributes to be a big time player."

46mJon Rothstein‏@JonRothstein

Marshall on Demetric Williams "We could use his experience. He's made his mark as a defensive, intangibles type guy."

Marshall on Fred Van Vleet "He doesn't seem like a college freshman. He's wise beyond his years. He knows how to win."

47mJon Rothstein‏@JonRothstein

Marshall on Malcolm Armstead "We're still not sure how well he understands our system. He hasn't done it in a game yet."

47mJon Rothstein‏

Marshall on Carl Hall "We need him to have a breakout year. He wants to be a pro."

Marshall on last season "It was a little bittersweet. You don't want to lose in the NCAA Tournament, especially when it's early."

48mJon Rothstein‏@JonRothstein

Marshall on having a young team "This year will a challenge. It's harder to build when you have guys who haven't done it in the system."

49mJon Rothstein‏@JonRothstein

Gregg Marshall on Wichita State "The buzz is good. We've put a few high caliber seasons together. Now that's the expectation."
    In the fast lane

Interesting comment on Armstead. Been around here for over a year.

Comment

I'm not concerned about the comments re Armstead. If this were a poker game and none of the bets were down yet, and someone asked Marshall what he had, do you think he'd just lay his hand down and show everybody?
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Marshall doesn't BS. Armstead is not a unknown.

Comment

=tropicalshox;332767]From Twitter:

Jon Rothstein

@JonRothstein

Really good early season game on 11/13 as Wichita State travels to VCU. Shockers and Rams are developing their own little rivalry.
          I wouldnt mind us setting up a series with them outside of BB. It would get us a little more exposure in the area.

Marshall on the MVC "Creighton is the team getting all the national attention and Northern Iowa should be very good. The rest is open."
          Can't argue with that. I expect a lot out of ISU though as well as us. 4 teams should separate from the rest.

Marshall on if Wichita State will play smaller "It's very possible.
          I hope we don't have to. But as a tactical option it could be quite effective.

Marshall on Tekele Cotton "He'll play on the wing. He was very good at the end of last season."
          I'm a little surprised as I think he'd make a solid PG. But if this is what will be best for the team I'm all for it. Cotton needs PT. He deserves PT as a guy who's going to do the right thing and play smart. Hope we see a little more aggressiveness from him this season on the offensive end.

Marshall on Ron Baker "He's one of our better shooters. He's going to command some playing time."
          I like to hear these things. Baker could give us the outside threat we so desperately need to keep teams honest and open things up.

Marshall on Nick Wiggins "He can really slash. We just need to get some of the JUCO out of him."
          That doesn't surprise me one bit. I hope he learns and adjusts because he could be a very valuable asset.

Marshall on Cleanthony Early "He's a tremendous talent. He's got all the attributes to be a big time player."
          I think we all know this. I hope it comes together for the young man.

Marshall on Demetric Williams "We could use his experience. He's made his mark as a defensive, intangibles type guy."
          I love what DWill brings to the table. He doesn't have to be a superstar. He should be a very valuable asset.

Marshall on Fred Van Vleet "He doesn't seem like a college freshman. He's wise beyond his years. He knows how to win."
          I hope this translates, and it sounds like we may actually need him this year based on the following tweet.

Marshall on Malcolm Armstead "We're still not sure how well he understands our system. He hasn't done it in a game yet."
          This is disappointing to me. He has a year in the system already and there are still questions? I understand he hasn't done it in a game yet, but to me, this sounds like he may not be ready to lead this team which could mean even more time for FVV. Especially if they don't see Cotton as being a PG.

47mJon Rothstein‏

Marshall on Carl Hall "We need him to have a breakout year. He wants to be a pro."
          Sounds like he's been busting his butt this summer to put the work in to be a pro. We know he's a beast, hopefully he can take that to another level this year.

Marshall on last season "It was a little bittersweet. You don't want to lose in the NCAA Tournament, especially when it's early."
          I'd go beyond bittersweet personally. It was very disappointing to go out in the first round. I'm never going to be happy just making it there. But that's me. And I know that's not what 3G was saying. It was a hell of a season with a very disappointing finish.

48mJon Rothstein‏@JonRothstein

Marshall on having a young team "This year will a challenge. It's harder to build when you have guys who haven't done it in the system."
          Fair point. But talent can at times make up for youth while they figure things out. Hopefully they're smart enough to come together and do that before conference play.

49mJon Rothstein‏@JonRothstein

Gregg Marshall on Wichita State "The buzz is good. We've put a few high caliber seasons together. Now that's the expectation."
          Damn right there's good buzz and expectations. I don't think he minds that. He's a winner and wants to win. He came here because of what he can do and because of what we'll expect.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
            From Twitter:
            Marshall on Malcolm Armstead "We're still not sure how well he understands our system. He hasn't done it in a game yet. "
            I don't take this as a negative comment as much as a matter of fact. It's one thing to practice and know the system but I would wager that Marshall has coached players before who knew the offense in practice and in a game where they can't be hand held, they lose their mind and forget to execute (free lance). We even saw that from experienced players in our offense at the end of games when they forgot to execute the play that Marshall drew up during a timeout.

Comment

Translation: I told you this last year and then we kicked their ass. Were you or were you not paying attention then?

Marshall on if Wichita State will play smaller "It's very possible."

Translation: I'm not telling you ****, but we're deep as hell.

Translation: Stud.

Translation: Maker will be out there early and often. And listen to Doc.

Translation: Fore!

Translation: I'd like to introduce everyone to Fred VanVleet.

Translation: Demetric is a great defensive cog in our team.

Translation: Pull your head out of your ass, Malcolm.

Translation: See Malcolm above.

Translation: You've never seen me very upset.

Please ignore me as much as possible so I can use the insult to motivate my team when we'll be bad mammerjammers in February, March and April.

Comment

When I saw a live practice this summer, I didn't see Marshall unhappy with Armstead one time. Armstead was quick, efficient, and robbed balls like it was going out of style. Don't take this to mean that HCGM was in a charitable mood, because he was intense and had no compunction in chewing some of the new guy's butts.

T

...:cool:

Comment

@C0|dB|00ded: , does Coach Marshall ever show compunction?

Comment

Playing great D and running the team as the PG are two completely different things.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      @C0|dB|00ded , does Coach Marshall ever show compunction?
                      I would say negatory sir!

T

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        Playing great D and running the team as the PG are two completely different things.
                        And that's where a lot of new guys were losing parts of their butts, on offense. They were making poor decisions within the offense. Armstead wasn't. His passing is VERY crisp and moves well within the offense. Marshall might be concerned about his scoring ability, but I didn't see anything that indicated he wasn't working efficiently and correctly in Marshall's system. I remember him looking like a leader on both ends of the court.

T

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                          And that's where a lot of new guys were losing parts of their butts, on offense. They were making poor decisions within the offense. Armstead wasn't. His passing is VERY crisp and moves well within the offense. Marshall might be concerned about his scoring ability, but I didn't see anything that indicated he wasn't working efficiently and correctly in Marshall's system. I remember him looking like a leader on both ends of the court.

T

Fair enough. You're first description of events seemed to focus on his D at this practice which I don't think anybody would question. We need a leader. I hope he can be one. I'm confident that FVV will be one at some point. Hopefully sooner than later.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            @C0|dB|00ded: , does Coach Marshall ever show compunction?
                            I showed compunction once but was let off with a warning.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              Fair enough. You're first description of events seemed to focus on his D at this practice which I don't think anybody would question. We need a leader. I hope he can be one. I'm confident that FVV will be one at some point. Hopefully sooner than later.
                              You always have to mention his D because it is exceptional. I mean there is nobody that guards on-ball like that dude. If you revisit my comments in a previous thread about my take on a practice I watched, I was totally convinced that Armstead would be running the show - at least at the start of the season. FVV didn't even compare to Armstead's poise, strength, and overall leadership on the floor. Armstead looks like he's been the Shocker floor general for 100 years. HCGM didn't even bat an eye in his direction.

T

Comment

Working...
                              X