3. UNI 4.22 (38.0/9)
      4. CU 4.36 (30.5/7)
      5. INS 4.50 (36.0/8)
      6. SIU 5.00 (40.0/8)
      7. EU 5.25 (42.0/8)
      8. MSU 6.06 (48.5/8)
      9. DU 6.28 (56.5/9)
      10. BU 6.50 (45.50/7)

Best case I have the Shocks finishing at 2.38 which would break the previous record of 2.47 held by Illinois State. My worst case for the Shocks would be 3.10 which still might be good enough to bring home the trophy.
      Is the 2.47 really correct? Not questioning you as much as I just have a vague memory of a lower score in the past few years.

2.50 would be 3 disaster finishes at this point. That record is almost certain to fall.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        Is the 2.47 really correct? Not questioning you as much as I just have a vague memory of a lower score in the past few years.

2.50 would be 3 disaster finishes at this point. That record is almost certain to fall.
        This is where I got that information Doc. http://www.mvc-sports.com/awards/allsportsaward/
        See the 2nd to last paragraph regarding Illinois State's record.

Three 3rd place finishes would put us at 2.50 (Maybe not a disaster, but certainly it would be disappointing)

Two 3rds and a 2nd would put us at 2.43

A 1st and two 2nds would put us at 2.23

We may not know our final total after this weekend, but we will probably know whether or not we will break the record.

As of right now we have 28.5 points for the 12 sports that are completed for a 2.375 average. This includes softball's 8th place finish.
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 7, 2013, 09:55 AM.

Comment

So it is the two track teams and baseball that is left?

Comment

Correct. Technically the trophy isn't ours yet, but barring multiple tragedies and upsets (3rd in baseball, 5th in both track events AND ISUR winning all 3 events) the trophy will return to WSU, likely with a new record average.

Comment

Track and Field makes me nervous because unexpected but not really uncommon injuries (pulled hamstrings, strains, ankles, feet) can have a huge impact on those results especially if they are to key members of the team. The WSU women already had several injuries that could potentially cost them a place in a tighty contested meet. Which I think the Valley will be this year for both the women and the men. So I don't want to tempt fate and say the trophy is in the bag.

The baseball team only needs to win 1 game against Creighton to clinch 2nd place but those guys make me nervous because you just can't predict how they will play. However, if we don't take at least 1 game from Creighton the baseball forum will no doubt be in major meltdown mode.

To set a new All Sports low average we need combined finishes totalling 8 (8.5 would tie the record if it is only rounded to 2 places). Any combination works (3+3+2 = 8, 2+2+4=8, 1+2+5 = 8, etc.)

We may not know our exact final score by Sunday night, but we should know if we have the trophy and the record in the bag by Sunday night.

Comment

Shox need soccer.

Comment

Originally posted by kstarheel View Post
                  Shox need soccer.
                  Not going to get into the "I like soccer", "I hate soccer", as I've coached competitve youth and teenage teams before. At least in the past, Wichita has been a hot bed for quality soccer and has/had some national and international moments.

All that said, which sports do you suggest we do away with. If none, any monies the soccer program uses comes out of the other sports' pocket.

Comment

What I can say with certainty as of this point in time.

The Shocks have clinched at least 2nd place in the All Sports Standings.

The only school that even has a mathematical chance of catching the Shocks at this point is Illinois State.

IF the Shocks finish as bad as possible (4th in baseball, 7th in Men's Outdoor T&F and 8th in Women's Outoor T&F) and IF Illinois State finished 1st in those three sports the Redbirds would edge the Shocks 2.97 ro 3.17.

If the Shocks finish with a combined total of 15 for these 3 sports they will win the trophy (and this assumes Illinois State takes 1st in the 3 remaining sports which is highly unlikely).

So while Illinois State still has a mathematical chance that is about all they have. Long odds for the Redbirds? If you could gets odds they probably would be quoted in scientific notation.

What the Shocks are really shooting for this weekend is the record low average.

Comment

The Shocks are your 2012-13 MVC All-Sports Trophy winners.

Both the men's and women's track teams finished 2nd today in the Valley track & field championships and the baseball team clinched 2nd place with their win over Creighton. The baseball team could move up to either a tie for first or an outright championship depending on how Illinois State does next week in its series with SIU.

The Shocks have also set a new All-Sports record for lowest average finish breaking the record of 2.47 set by Illinois State in the 1996-97 season.

Not exactly sure how the Shocks will finish until next week but the worst we will score is a 2.30. The Shocks could finish as low as 2.23 depending on what happens with baseball next week.

The Shocks finished 3rd or better in 14 out of 15 Valley championships they participate in. The only sport not to finish in the top 3 was softball with an 8th place finish.

This is the Shocks 19th All-Sports Trophy award. My guess is this record average score may stand awhile. Atlthough it will provide a standard for future Shocker teams to shoot for.

Congratulations to all the Coaches, support staff and especially to the Shocker athletes for making this a great year.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 12, 2013, 07:12 PM.

Comment

We need to get rid of the AD for this poor showing.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                          How many of the coaching hires were made by the current AD?

You might want to find a quote somewhere that states that we should get rid of the AD. I'd love to see it.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                            Well......that worked. :highly_amused:

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

You might want to find a quote somewhere that states that we should get rid of the AD. I'd love to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

you need to get over your hang up of how many coaches and which coaches he has hired. that is just one aspect of his job. he has managed to retain all of these coaches which is just as important if not more. managing the coaches is just a fraction of his job, albeit it is higher profile than the rest of his duties. you cant fault him for not making major improvements to facilities as there really arent any to be made. he is however making minor ones which are just as important. you say his is just maintaining status quo but is that really that bad when you look at where they are at? not sure how being at or near the top year in and year out is a bad thing. his legacy wont be a change in conference or bringing back football. those both affect the entire university. they are changes that he alone wont be able to make. cant fault him if neither happens before he retires or moves on.

Comment

How many times has this been argued about on here?
                                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Working...
                                X