Where we are today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where we are today

If this was last year's team we'd be toast. Honestly, I am a little surprised these guys haven't mailed it in more than just at MSU.

Gregg said it in his post game.....other than the recruiting class we haven't had a break since April.

We are a team hanging on by a thread where the tiniest error can cause a free fall. Our margin for mistakes is essentially nothing but we play hard and mostly with poise.

We only had 13 TOs last against a team that pressed us most of the game. CU is 12-3....that's not bad. They needed a career game from Bahe and officiating that went their way along with 55% from the field to get us.

We have a lot of heart.

Phil has been solid if unspectacular. He has been great defensively. There isn't much more we can ask of him unless it's to shoot a couple of those wide open 3s he has been turning down. But only if you are going to shoot it with confidence Phil.

PJ was great against ISU, CU and the 2nd half of BU. We need more consistency please PJ. When you are on, you're great.

I am not sure what more you can ask of Gal. For a 2nd year player playing out of position he's doing a pretty solid job. I am not sure how they figure minutes but it seems unlikely he was really on the bench for 9 minutes last night. Like PJ, he is basically asked to play the entire game. I realize he is prone to mistakes at big moments but as a team we are incapable of creating anything out of system so it falls to Gal. That's a pretty tall order imho.

Not to be totally unoriginal but Ramon has been a warrior. Unrelenting on D and the boards he has been everything he can be so far.

Mantas has been disappointing, especially when he was counted on so heavily, but he has been improving. Last night 2-3 from the field, 2-2 from the line, 4 boards and 0 turnovers is pretty solid. Unfortunately we need this times 3 or 4 from him. However, he is improving and getting more comfortable every game and there certainly is upside here.

Wendell is...well...Wendell. He gets after it on the defensive side and is a total liability on the other end. He is giving maximum effort with minimal talent. Any points from him is like hitting a 4 spot on a Keno ticket. While you know it's possible, after a while you don't even bother to look because you know it's no good.

Graham Hatch has been a pleasant surprise but really only out of dire need and frankly only on the offensive side. He gets torched on the other end and is not athletic enough to compete at a high level. But, for a team that cannot shoot, he helps us there when he can get a shot off.

Aaron has struggled getting it. There is a lot of upside but he really is having a tough time of it so far. He needs to play every second when we are out of games in the future.

JT, imho, has been a monumental frustration. How can you be that talented and still be that bad? He should be playing 25 minutes at least and could have scored at least the same number of points if for only he had half the heart and desire of Ramon. He could really help us but until he plays hard, to the bench it is.

Arbry-Where art though? On the way out I imagine. A shame really.

The 3 walkons (who can really talk about walkons being counted on?) have been just that but Bret has done a nice job at least giving Gregg a chance to rest Gal for a few minutes.

Ehimen-we could have used you. AJ-we need different rules that would have allowed you to play this year.

Now lastly, Matt. Who here thinks we would be 3-2 with him healthy? Sometimes things just don't go your way. For us.....seemingly more often than not.

We may or may not get better this year. Yes, there is some untapped potential and yes Matt may return (I sure hope he doesn't) but these games are going to wear down the intensity of this group if things don't turn soon and they get at least a taste of success.

Any thought of an Arch run should be put to rest imho. There is no way with our lack of depth that we could survive 4 games in 4 days.

well put, I dont think we would have been that much better with Matt Brauer. Maybe a win here or there. I think it is best to just take it one game at a time and just play the players who want to get better and play hard. Make an emphasis on players who actually are going to be here next year and just go from there.

The only thing that pisses me off is that these Valley teams are not that much better then us, and it is just a matter of finishing and we are just doing it. The Valley is SO WIDE OPEN, it is not even funny. Having Matt, Orupke and maybe a consistent bench contributer and we would be owning the Valley, or right up there.

Nonetheless, this is my team and I am going to take the good with the bad. But man, this team is just like the Stock Market, such a roller coaster ride.
    ________
    Percocet rehab forum
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

The most encouraging thing is that they came back from a devastating loss in the MSU game and played tough against CU.

Yeah, they lost and no loss is a good loss, especially at home. But they just as easily could have come out downtrodden against CU and got slaughtered.

Got to respect the players, GM, and the entire coaching staff for not giving up and for playing to the best of their abilities.

We now just need to take it one game at a time and snap this lousy losing streak.

Comment

Doc,
        Nice job. You hit all the points that need to be hit. This team MAY win a game in STL, but 4 in 4 days in beyond any pipe dream some may harbor.
        It's been stated several times, but help really is on the way. AJH is the real deal and teamed with RC will provide a toughness in the paint this program hasn't experienced since, well, I can't remember. MG is taking a lot longer to adjust to D-1 than most thought, but will be a major contributor next year. They will have to be the leaders because basically no one else on the team will be old enough to vote. That's a joke kids, relax.
        Other than the listed and maybe a couple of other holdovers, this will be a young talented team WITH GM's type of players. As mentioned before this sure feels a whole lot like MT's first year when he scrambled, grabbed a few JuCo's and ran (Remember Adam Grundvig?) You know the rest of the story. Patience please. 8)
        Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Doc I agree! In the words of Subgod I'm not worried. This experience with an infusion of height and shooting next year will be night and day.

:posterwu: 8) 8) 8) 8)
          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Nice points Doc. Here is the silver lining to Shocker Basketball, all wrapped up in a quote by our Coach, who we know means what he says. In article in the paper today by Bob Lutz, HCGM was quoted as saying these words: "I'm not use to losing. I don't like it. We're not going to lose for long."

Last night, I seen a spitfire Coach that had fire in his belly and some competive looks and stares and words that made me know he meant what he said and will do (already doing) the groundwork to make it all come to pass. It all starts on developing what he has inherited in players, and getting the players he likes in here to go with them, to right this Shocker ship. We are 8-8 right now with killer games coming this week. However, we have just began to fight. If we do get beat, we will go down swinging. We will still have some positive moments this very Season. Many of us before the Season started said that we need to be patient and give this regime time to work their magic. Now as we have hit some big bumps in the road, we have to continue to be patient.

Creighton got hit hard with graduation and brought in several new solid players that can play and shoot the ball. If HCGH never signed another recruit for next year, we still will be walking in tall cotton and cooking with fire. However, look for him to bring in at least 2 more recruits for next year. We may be 2 Seasons away from being a big threat in the Valley, but put it in the bank. HCGM WILL turn this Program back around and get this party started!!!!!!! Just remember this and believe it. "We're NOT going to lose for long!!!!!!!"
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

I keep waiting for Mantas to just get 'mean' or get aggressive, and he just seems to lack confidence. He just needs to imagine he's still in JUCO, and play with that type of intensity. It's like the D1 game is overwhelming him a bit. He seems to have great tools--he's a big, strong guy with a nice shot. He just needs to play like it.

That 3 he shot was great. If only it could've been earlier in the game, so it could've given him the confidence to really get after it for the rest of the game.

Next year will be fun. This year, I have a lot of respect for the players--they're not giving up. I think the loss at MO. State was more of a lack of intensity... they came out flat energy wise (not that I think they had intended to give up) and then, well--there was the shooting, which goes without saying.

Comment

Compare MT's first year class to Marshall's...on paper it's significantly better provided they all make it here.

It's seems that over the past several years, there's always been one recruit or two that fell out of the program.

Jamie Sowers, etc.

I don't expect that from this group of highly talented kids...they are going to love the facilities and the crowd when they get here!

Comment

As fans, all we can do is support our team, and take it one game at a time. What will be will be (this year). Next year, we will see the real results of having GM as our coach.

We just need to relax and support the team game after game. Share our frustrations as we do our joys.

I wouldn't trade our coach for anyone, and frankly even the guys we have right now, even if they struggle all the way to the end.

I'm a Shocker damn it....

:goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks:
                  Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock
                    As fans, all we can do is support our team, and take it one game at a time. What will be will be (this year). Next year, we will see the real results of having GM as our coach.

We just need to relax and support the team game after game. Share our frustrations as we do our joys.

I wouldn't trade our coach for anyone, and frankly even the guys we have right now, even if they struggle all the way to the end.

I'm a Shocker damn it....

:goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks:
                    Post of the year right there
                    Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

Will next year be better? I think so, marginally, but better. Although I am glad to have Stutz coming in, his style of finese basketball is not a match made in heaven in regards to MVC basketball and big concern for me. Can anyone think of a recent MVC player who had the built of GS and played with finese but still a first or second team all-MVC?

Does anyone here believe we will have a guy coming in next season who can actually break down a guy one-on-one and take it to the hole to score or dish it back out for a wide open J?

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that we will be sweating bullets next August to see if our prized Nigerian recruit will actually make it to the states?

If anyone can answer positively to all three questions above, then I think we will do great and I still believe the MVC will be down next year as well.

Comment

Originally posted by forevershockerfan
                        If HCGH never signed another recruit for next year, we still will be walking in tall cotton and cooking with fire. However, look for him to bring in at least 2 more recruits for next year. We may be 2 Seasons away from being a big threat in the Valley, but put it in the bank. HCGM WILL turn this Program back around and get this party started!!!!!!! Just remember this and believe it. "We're NOT going to lose for long!!!!!!!"
                        I'm going to take your prediction with a big grain of salt because Mantas was susposed to be a great shooter and it has been rough so far. Will the recruits come in blazing and win the Valley? I hope so but JC or HS stats can be misleading. Will David Kyles and Toure Murry shoot well next year? I hope so!!

“Clevin is a true point guard who has done nothing but win his entire career,” Marshall said. “He has been well coached at every stop and knows how to play. He can shoot the ball extremely well, as well as run the team really well. Can a D1 point guard also be a primary scorer (on a good team)? Will Hannah have to give up something (e.g. scoring)? Will he be a good MVC shooter? http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticl...ATCLID=1312307
                        Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                        Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox
                          Will next year be better? I think so, marginally, but better. Although I am glad to have Stutz coming in, his style of finese basketball is not a match made in heaven in regards to MVC basketball and big concern for me. Can anyone think of a recent MVC player who had the built of GS and played with finese but still a first or second team all-MVC?

Does anyone here believe we will have a guy coming in next season who can actually break down a guy one-on-one and take it to the hole to score or dish it back out for a wide open J?

Is it just me, or does anyone else think that we will be sweating bullets next August to see if our prized Nigerian recruit will actually make it to the states?

If anyone can answer positively to all three questions above, then I think we will do great and I still believe the MVC will be down next year as well.
                          First question: I think Stutz will be fine in the Valley - don't expect him to take the world by storm right away, but in time he will be great.

Second question yes: between Clevin Hannah, AJ Hawkins, Tourre Murry, and David Kyles we should have at least 1 or 2 guys.. Don't expect freshmen to be All-Valley from the get-go, but yes I think we will be okay in that department. Also see the following article on Murry:

Third question: I will bank on Orupke, when he is here. Not until.

To sum it up, all 3 questions are valid. Next season will be more than marginal, but I'm not counting on a Valley championship.
                          Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Good post Doc. You nailed it.

Our team is playing their hearts out. The only thing that really bothers me is our free throw shooting. We should make at least 75% from the line. We would have several more wins if they made the throws.

I hope our fans give Gal a break. He is trying and for the most part is playing well. He is in a bad situation without much backup. He had more assists/points and less turnovers than Creighton's PG (Dotzler).

We need to win a couple on the road and then take care of business at home to stay out of the playin game at the tourney. We have already played the three best teams in the Valley at home. We should beat the rest of them including Indiana State.

Comment

Don't forget that we have had a rough Valley schedule so far. Drake and Illinois State are both 5-0. Creighton is always tough and Missouri State played an awesome game against us. Down the stretch, the games will not be quite as tough, so they might be able to put together quite a run down the stretch. Probably not enough to be a contender at the top of the Valley, but they definitely can win enough with their schedule remaining to stay out of a playoff game if they can put together some solid performances like they did against Creighton.

Comment

Working...
                              X