2024 Hall of Fame Class Announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 Hall of Fame Class Announced

Not really basketball related except that the induction occurs at halftime of the MBB game vs SMU on January 28, but since this is the lead forum on the board and MBB funds all these other sports I chose to post this here.

Charlie Giaudrone (Baseball), Alex Harden (Women's Basketball), Taryn Torgerson (Women's Golf) and Cacy Williams (Softball) have been selected as the 2024 Class of the Wichita State Pizza Hut Shocker Sports Hall of Fame.

Not sure anyone can take much issue with any of these choices.

I admit that I'm not overly familiar with Charlie, but Alex was an absolute stud, Taryn is one of the best female golfers we've had, and Cacy was an absolute badass on the field.

Hell of a class.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I know that Alex was delayed for several years because she obviously wanted to be in attendance, which her pro
      schedule hindered.

I’m sure that is what is holding up Fred. What about Ron though? Maybe those guys will go in together?
      78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
        I’m sure that is what is holding up Fred. What about Ron though? Maybe those guys will go in together?
        They should.

Comment

Charlie's numbers pretty much speak for themselves.

Four-year starting pitcher for the Wichita State baseball program from 1989-92…Went 31-7 with a 2.69 ERA in 61 appearances with 49 starts and six complete games…Pitched 294 innings with two shutouts and 195 strikeouts…Member of the 1989 National Championship team and was the starting and winning pitcher in the regional championship game against Michigan to advance team to the College World Series…Member of four Missouri Valley Conference regular-season championship teams, four NCAA Tournament teams, three College World Series teams and two MVC Tournament championship teams…Pitched a no-hitter in 1989 against Fordham…Named to the 1992 MVC All-Tournament team…Named a second team All-American in 1992 by ABCA…Named a first team Academic All-American in 1992 and a second team selection in 1991…Named the National Academic Athlete of the Year in 1992…First team all-Midwest Region selection in 1992…Earned first team all-MVC honors in 1992…Finished his career at Wichita State second in ERA (2.69), sixth in games started (49), seventh in consecutive victories (13), eighth in winning percentage (.816), ninth in wins (31) and 10th in innings pitched (294.0).

The question with Charlie might be why did it take 31 years. Perhaps the most impressive honor Charlie received was being named the Division I College Baseball Academic All-America® National Player-of-the-Year in 1992.

Here is an interesting article about Charlie from 2010: https://www.milligan.edu/2010/03/17/...ar%20in%201992.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 30, 2023, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Charlie's numbers pretty much speak for themselves.

The question with Charlie might be why did take 31 years. Perhaps the most impressive honor Charlie received was being named the Division I College Baseball Academic All-America® National Player-of-the-Year in 1992.

Here is an interesting article about Charlie from 2010: https://www.milligan.edu/2010/03/17/...ar%20in%201992.
            You just had to say that. Not because you're not absolutely spot on, but because it doesn't seem near that long ago.

Comment

Charlie is an absolute no brainer and over due in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
              X