Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is Gregg Marshall Going to Land the Lunker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
    Gives noodlin (hand fishing) a new meaning!
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I will say that Marshall isn't afraid to go after the top players. This is one reason that the past few years, we've whiffed on Top 100 players who've visited WSU but gone to W. Virginia, Boston College, KU, etc. and we've gone after more JC players during the spring recruiting period because we didn't get them. Luckily, we've recruited well on the JC circuit in the spring.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        But the point is, even not so successful teams have landed the types in question. Not every team is going to capitalize for whatever reason and I'm sure the schools you're referring to don't surprise anyone that they haven't had more success. I'm not sure what point that serves in this discussion though. WSU lands these kids it's something I'm sure we could build off of as we're much more likely to have success than Central Michigan. You seem to think we'll fail to land the 50-125 types by shooting for a top 50. That's ridiculous with this staff. You never know where the kid is going to come from, and very few from what I remember were local kids that stayed home. So that throws out that idea. We should always shoot for a Top 50 type if we have a connection and some mutual interest. It's only a matter of time before we land such a player. But as it is, we still haven't landed a Rivals Top 125 guy yet under Marshall. I have no doubt that we're going to see our name next to more of those recruits in the near future. Also, those guys are less of a project than many of the bigs we sign now. I'd love to have a big come in and actually be a nice contributor as a FR.
        Sorry that I'm not explaining my point well. I thought the point of this thread was how quickly will we land that lunker. For me, I didn't give an opinion on the poll because I don't believe our success now, and in the years to follow, hinges on that Top 50 player. If we get him next year, great. If not for 4 more years, so be it. For WSU to have the best shot of getting such a player, HCGM is doing the things that will continue to improve those chances. But it's still an unlikely proposition. At this point, and in the near future, I think it will take unique circumstances for it to happen. Sort of "the stars aligning up just right".

As Shocker fans, we want in the worst way for WSU to be one of the premier non-BCS basketball programs. On the short term, we're close. On the long term, not so much. We are not UNLV (as of 2009, they were 5th all time in DI winning % at .712), an Xavier (have made the Dance 20 years out of the last 28), a Gonzaga (Dancing 12 straight years with 5 S16 and an Elite 8), Butler (10 of 16 years Dancing with 5 S16s and 2 Finals), we've even taken a back seat to two CAA teams twice each when it really counted in George Mason and VCU. How do we even stack up in the Valley over the last 12 years (0 MVC tourney championships).

We're talking about landing a Top 50 player, but it's like you said, "we still haven't landed a Rivals Top 125 guy yet under Marshall". For WSU to be successful, long term, at a level we all hope for, it will take signing 1 or 2 of those Top 125 guys year after year. I want to see WSU have the kind of teams that if Marshall were to leave after a great season, the cupboard will be full and signing the next (great) coach will be assured (or if someone from the current staff becomes coach, they'll have a lot of quality to work with).

For me, it's much more relevant to have a poll that asks, "When will we sign 2 Top 100 players in the same year?" or "In back to back years". That's not to say I won't be :D :yahoo: :biggrin-new: if we sign that lunker, but also very pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
          "we still haven't landed a Rivals Top 125 guy yet under Marshall".
          We haven't? FVV is #19 PG and I believe #95 overall.

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
            We haven't? FVV is #19 PG and I believe #95 overall.
            By ESPN. I was going off of Rivals which has always been my standard for rankings. I don't know where scout ranks him, I believe Rivals moved him up to 150.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

By ESPN. I was going off of Rivals which has always been my standard for rankings. I don't know where scout ranks him, I believe Rivals moved him up to 150.
              Yes, Rivals had him at #19 PG but they rated the other positions higher than PG's especially PF's and SG's.

Comment

Rivals has him as #19 PG and #138 overall.

Comment

Originally posted by Zardoz View Post
                  Rivals has him as #19 PG and #138 overall.
                  I meant to say into the 150. Before the last one, they basically said he was 151.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Marshall stays? Check

Time to land the lunker. I guarantee you at least one is interested somewhere after this media circus.

It will happen.

Comment

7 openings next year. Better conference. Potential for a title next season.

I just hope the lunker we land doesn't have a tendency to break rules, skip class, solicit prostitutes, do drugs and commit felonies like the ones I've been seeing lately...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                        I just hope the lunker we land doesn't have a tendency to break rules, skip class, solicit prostitutes, do drugs and commit felonies like the ones I've been seeing lately...
                        For the last time, I am not the lunker!
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

On Marshall's watch --- I doubt it. He recruits good kids with good traits and enough intelligence not to fall into those traps.

Comment

I don't do drugs

Comment

To be fair, we do have the God Bear coming in next year.

Comment

"Darn, it was just a nibble."

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X