Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is Gregg Marshall Going to Land the Lunker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
    Mo was recruited extensively by a lot of top programs.
    Sweet. If we can land one in the 90's, we can darn straight land one in the teens!

Actually ol' FVV is pretty darn on the bubble.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      Sweet. If we can land one in the 90's, we can darn straight land one in the teens!

Actually ol' FVV is pretty darn on the bubble.
      By the end if the season, we may find out coach has already done it :)

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
        I'm not sure what a lunker is but how about Conference USA Houston? They must qualify for a destination for blue chip recruits. They landed a #20 5 star and #54 4 star. They also landed a couple of 3 stars to go along with them.
        Keep in mind two points: 1) Both are from the Houston area, and 2) Houston will be in the Big East in 2013.

Comment

I think Memphis is the poster child here. Conference USA isn't exactly a haven of blue chip recruits--except for Memphis.
          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            Someone relearn me, what did Maurice Evan's status look like coming out of highschool? Bluechip or no, I just can't remember?
            Evans was #40 in the nation. That's pretty blue chip.

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO View Post
              Evans was #40 in the nation. That's pretty blue chip.
              To revise my earlier posts:

I think Marshall can recruit top 150 players. Maybe even a few guys around #40.

I don't think he can ever recruit a top 20, top 10, one and done type player that I think this thread was talking about. Not with us in the current Valley. I think of "blue chip" as a top 10 player, or top 3 by position. Not the guys that would stick with us for years.

FSU has a top 25 player on the roster, but I don't consider him a blue chip, and I think WSU can absolutely get a guy at that level soon. Andrew Wiggins I think has FSU in his top 2 ... he would be the first blue chip recruit by my own definition. The guys that start for Kentucky, Duke, UNC, etc as freshmen.
              Last edited by Rlh04d; July 26, 2012, 12:41 AM.
              Originally posted by BleacherReport
              Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                To revise my earlier posts:

I think Marshall can recruit top 150 players. Maybe even a few guys around #40.

I don't think he can ever recruit a top 20, top 10, one and done type player that I think this thread was talking about. Not with us in the current Valley. I think of "blue chip" as a top 10 player, or top 3 by position. Not the guys that would stick with us for years.

FSU has a top 25 player on the roster, but I don't consider him a blue chip, and I think WSU can absolutely get a guy at that level soon. Andrew Wiggins I think has FSU in his top 2 ... he would be the first blue chip recruit by my own definition. The guys that start for Kentucky, Duke, UNC, etc as freshmen.
                Wow. Even Antoine, Cliff, Aubrey, and Xavier don't fit into this category. AC may have been Top 20 on some recruiting lists but none of them would be Top 10, 5, or one and dones today.

Comment

Wow. Even Antoine, Cliff, Aubrey, and Xavier don't fit into this category. AC may have been Top 20 on some recruiting lists but none of them would be Top 10, 5, or one and dones today.
                  Very good information and point.

I think your point is that with 20-20 hind sight, WSU has recruited top rated players.
                  "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

I'm not sure what a lunker is but............................
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                      Very good information and point.

I think your point is that with 20-20 hind sight, WSU has recruited top rated players.
                      I'm not sure, but I think that my point is that if a lunker is a top 10 or Top 5 recruit, that is an extremely high standard. We probably have never recruited that type of player (and very few programs have) and we have hung up jerseys of some great players that put us into national championship conversations. We don't need a lunker to be a Top 10 team. Ellis isn't a Top 10 or one and done. How many burger boys are even selected? Quite a few more than 10.

Comment

I'm not sure, but I think that my point is that if a lunker is a top 10 or Top 5 recruit, that is an extremely high standard. We probably have never recruited that type of player (and very few programs have) and we have hung up jerseys of some great players that put us into national championship conversations. We don't need a lunker to be a Top 10 team. Ellis isn't a Top 10 or one and done. How many burger boys are even selected? Quite a few more than 10.
                        Of course you don't need guys rated that high to be successful. And plenty of under recruited guys turn out to be amazing, and plenty of highly recruited guys turn out to be busts.

Seems to me that was the kind of guy being talked about in the first post. The elite, incredible, NBA destined talent and everyone knows it. I don't think we'll ever recruit that kind of guy ... And I don't think we need to. We can be extremely successful without them.
                        Originally posted by BleacherReport
                        Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Based on the link that Cold provided, he seemed to be talking about a top 10 (at his position) type of player. I'm not 100% sure on that. And the talent level varies based upon position. But a Top 10 PF is normally a pretty damn good player. Personally, I'd call a Blue Chip talent Top 50 overall. You could make a case for higher or lower. Considering there are roughly 1000 'ships available each year, Top 50 is the cream of the crop. These guys are 5 star talents with some high level 4s thrown in. I could also accept just 5 stars or both 4 and 5 stars as Blue Chip. It all depends on where one wants to draw the line.

We currently have an offer out to at least two Rivals 4* for '13 and one for '14. We also have an in with a 5* in the '14 class. :) All it takes is landing one high level recruit to open more doors. I have no doubt that 3G can get those types in here in the near future. Who knows where it goes after that.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Evans was indeed blue chip, but I'm being even more specific. I'm talking about power forwards (ok, centers as well). I'm talking about the star big man that everybody wants on their team. Guards don't count. I'm talking about the 245lb 6'9" bad ass that can dominate straight out of HS. I consider a star big man a true game changer. Sure outstanding guards can light a team up, but nothing makes an impact like a beastly forward. I know that one thing a great forward looks for is an equally great point guard that can get him the rock. We have that piece of the puzzle. Now, if Gregg can nab a 4-5 star power forward, it will be smooth sailing. We all know how great players like to sign in bunches (A.C., Cliff, etc.).

Damn you Perry Ellis.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Understand that you could be the top #10 power forward in the country and still be ranked #50 overall nationally because you have to consider the top 10 players of 5 different positions; point guards, shooting guards, power forwards, small forwards, and centers. I consider a top 10 power forward in the country a "lunker". Perry is the #5 power forward in the country and #24 overall. Perry, is a lunker.

T

...:cool:

Comment

I guess I'm just not that concerned about landing that Top 50 player as much as I'm concerned with consistant quality in HS commits and less reliance on Juco players. Based on ESPN/Scout ratings, getting at least a couple of 90-93 rated players each year. I certainly like the Juco players HCGM has brought in, but each year he's been here, we have relied on a juco player as a key component, last year 3 Jucos, and this year 3. And I'm not counting EO in that group.

As an example, for 2012, Xavier has a 90, 92, 92, and a 96. Even without that 96, a team is going to be able to compete with the big boys if they can continue to recruit at that level.

Comment

Working...
                                X