Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When is Gregg Marshall Going to Land the Lunker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recognize John Smith, Paul Wight, Claudeus Johnson and I think Michael Wiggins. Who is #21 and #15? What number was Boo Craft? He was a package that arrived with John Smith.

Comment

Boo Craft was #12. Michael Wiggins wore #30. So neither Boo or Michael are in the photo as posted.

I think the group in the photo are:

#32 - John Smith, 6'8" Freshman, 12.8 PPG
      #50 - Paul Wight
      #15 - Tony Brown
      #24 - Claudius Johnson, 6'6" Junior, 8.2 PPG
      #21 - Robert George, 6'0" Senior, 10.6 PPG
      #22 - Tony Johnson, 6'4" Junior, 4.8 PPG

The 1991-92 Shockers were coached by Mike Cohen and finished at 8-20.

BTW, my apology for leading to the thread hijacking.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 25, 2012, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
        Jesus! Look at our non-conference schedule in 1991... Can you imagine the celebrations that would occur on here if we could have even a semblance of a schedule like that now? My how times have changed.. :grey:

1 Mon, Nov 25, 1991 REG Rider ECC W 78 39 1 0 W 1
        2 Sat, Nov 30, 1991 REG Delaware State MEAC W 78 68 2 0 W 2
        3 Sat, Dec 7, 1991 REG Florida SEC L 50 61 2 1 L 1
        4 Sat, Dec 14, 1991 REG @ Oklahoma State Big 8 L 54 82 2 2 L 2
        5 Sat, Dec 21, 1991 REG Utah WAC L 36 58 2 3 L 3
        6 Sat, Dec 28, 1991 REG Southern Illinois MVC L 64 66 2 4 L 4
        7 Mon, Dec 30, 1991 REG @ Syracuse Big East L 63 88 2 5 L 5
        8 Sat, Jan 4, 1992 REG Saint Peter's MAAC L 68 71 2 6 L 6
        9 Wed, Jan 8, 1992 REG Kansas Big 8 L 51 81 2 7 L 7
        10 Sat, Jan 11, 1992 REG @ Indiana State MVC L 51 81 2 8 L 8
        11 Wed, Jan 15, 1992 REG @ Kansas State Big 8 L 50 72 2 9 L 9
        It's not hard to get those teams to schedule you when you suck and they know they can smoke you easily. That's the difference...
        "I discovered surfing, which I absolutely fell in love with. That feels good and kind of keeps your body aligned, so does the salt water." - Anthony Kiedis

"I'm not worried. Are you worried? You shouldn't be. Sleep well tonight. "

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
          9 votes for NEVER? I should have made the votes public. I know KC Shox voted never, but who else? How many BJ fans do we have registered on this forum?

T

...:cool:
          I said never.

I probably should qualify that by saying, if for some reason, HCGM was to leave and go to a BCS school, he'd probably get one his first year.

Comment

The sad part of that record is that we had some decent players on that team. Johnson, Wiggins, Robert George and John Smith were all pretty good players. At least I thought they were at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
              I said never.

I probably should qualify that by saying, if for some reason, HCGM was to leave and go to a BCS school, he'd probably get one his first year.
              Oh ye of little faith...

T

...:cool:

Comment

Either when WSU leaves the Valley for a better conference or HCGM leaves WSU for a better conference.

Right now, I'd be stunned to see any elite, blue chip recruit go to any team in the Valley.

Hell, I'm still waiting for Florida State to get it's first elite, blue chip recruit, in the ACC.

I don't mean anything bad about the quality of the Valley. It's just not a destination for elite recruits.
                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                  Either when WSU leaves the Valley for a better conference or HCGM leaves WSU for a better conference.

Right now, I'd be stunned to see any elite, blue chip recruit go to any team in the Valley.

Hell, I'm still waiting for Florida State to get it's first elite, blue chip recruit, in the ACC.

I don't mean anything bad about the quality of the Valley. It's just not a destination for elite recruits.
                  He's got a point. Whether or not we get one seems to revolve around just what our coach is capable of. The Valley is not exactly as attractive as other places. I do think coach is capable of it on a different level compared to what we are used to, but it will still take some magic and some consistent program success...or some dumb luck like with the Wiggins speculation. Marshall does some pretty amazing things, though. I believe anything is possible at this point. He is still building our program, and we haven't taken a step backward in any form in all 5 of his years. In order to keep taking steps forward from where we are now, it would have to turn into pretty big things like more Valley titles, St. Louis wins, NCAA wins (not just arrivals), better and better recruits and so on. I don't know where its going to level out, but hey, maybe it will be better than we hoped for.

Comment

Gonzaga is the problem I have with this logic. The WCC was never a destination conference for top talent either.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Someone relearn me, what did Maurice Evan's status look like coming out of highschool? Bluechip or no, I just can't remember?
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                        Someone relearn me, what did Maurice Evan's status look like coming out of highschool? Bluechip or no, I just can't remember?
                        He was a blue chip. He was recruited by that other school north of here and we all know they only go for the elite. Heard Bruce make a comment about a golfer he met from KC and the guy wanted to know how to get back from Newton. My reply would have been to get on 35 and head north and let Topeka and Lawrence suck you towards KC.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                          Mo was recruited extensively by a lot of top programs.
                          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                            Gonzaga is the problem I have with this logic. The WCC was never a destination conference for top talent either.
                            How many elite, blue chip recruits has Gonzaga had?

I honestly don't know. I don't believe any of the major players in their team history were heavily recruited coming out of high school. They've had four first round NBA draft picks, and I don't believe any of those four were "elite" HS recruits.

From glancing over some of their stats, it looks to me like their best players have still been developmental guys. Matt Bouldin was the #15 SG in the country in his recruiting class, but I still wouldn't call that an elite, blue chip guy. Dickau? Morrison? Daye? Which one was an elite recruit? Gary Bell was the #17 SG overall. Daye was the #14 PF. I think Josh Heyvelt was the highest ranked by position recruit in Gonzaga history at the #11 PF. That covers their recruiting history on Scout.com ... I believe they've had six four star recruits since 2002, but none have been top ten by position, let alone top ten overall.

So unless I'm seriously missing something, my point is still that the elite recruits don't go to the smaller conferences. Not just the Valley, but they're not even going to Gonzaga, despite their success, and despite their multiple first round draft picks in the last decade. I also don't believe any Gonzaga player other than Stockton has had much of an NBA career.
                            Originally posted by BleacherReport
                            Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

I'm not sure what a lunker is but how about Conference USA Houston? They must qualify for a destination for blue chip recruits. They landed a #20 5 star and #54 4 star. They also landed a couple of 3 stars to go along with them.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                                He was a blue chip. He was recruited by that other school north of here and we all know they only go for the elite. Heard Bruce make a comment about a golfer he met from KC and the guy wanted to know how to get back from Newton. My reply would have been to get on 35 and head north and let Topeka and Lawrence suck you towards KC.
                                Hahahaha, kinda like the Death Star tractor beam.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X