What was the technical for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RoyalShock
    They T-up GM for saying nothing, but can't see a Creighton player airmail the ball into the student section.
    :clap:

Exactly.

Total garbage. I think Valley refs get a kick out of pissing off 10,000 plus.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

The T was awful and unjustified, period. That set of officials had a really, really bad night.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu
        The T was awful and unjustified, period. That set of officials had a really, really bad night.
        From the Wichita Eagle Sunday mroning:

Creighton broke away after a technical on Marshall that stunned him and his players. After a foul on Wendell Preadom, Marshall waved off referee Patrick Evans and stalked to the end of the bench. Evans hit him with the technical with 10:49 to play.

It was the first technical of the season on any Shocker.

"I didn't say anything," Marshall said. "I've been pretty well behaved with the officials this year. I guess that doesn't pay off. When you do something as simple as that, make a gesture like that, just a back hand, wasn't looking at him, wasn't saying anything."
        "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
        ---------------------------------------
        Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
        "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
        "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

refs were bad, but we got plenty of home cookin IMHO as well...especially in the first half. So can't blame them for this one.

And while I agree I don't see why Marshall was T'd up, that doesn't cost us the game. It started Creighton's run, but we certainly didn't have to let it balloon all the way to a 12 point deficit.
          "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

The T was for being a first-year coach against Altman.

At that point in the game I wasn't surprised by anything the officials would call against WSU.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

I did not see the game and did not listen. I have no idea if it was justified or not. However, there is a MAJOR emphasis on bench decorum this year from the NCAA. CGM is very aware because the emphasis originated from... The coaches association! It has been hammered on at every meeting. When I mean an emphasis, I mean the threat of taking away tournament assignments has been used to make the point. Once again, I'm not making an excuse for the official. But there is more to it than meets the eye. 8)
              Above all, make the right call.

Comment

Marshall's actions by themselves, certainly did not warrent a T. Whether or not the ref heard Coach say something or not, no way to know.

Comment

Unless Marshall dropped a four letter word or insulted the refs mother it wasn't warranted. Both were walking away from eachother when it was given. Marshall was half way down the bench headed towards the baseline when he recieved it. I may have been closer to Marshall at that point than the ref.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Only once has FSF reffed a game and it was a lousy performance and I will never do it again. My take on reffing was "To much work, and not enough glory." There was a big collision with 2 seconds left and "I saw what I saw" and made the call even though the game was tied. Half the crowd loved me and the other half wanted my head on a platter.

Even so, I still have opinions. The refs are a part of the game and make mistakes and have good and bad nights, just like players and coaches. Last night ON the court, a Creighton field goal attempt was missed by 3 refs. The antic by HCGM OFF the court was quickly noted by the very same ref that had just called another controversial foul call on WP. Now he can either rubber-neck over and notice this, even though HCGM did not say a thing, or he could have run over there if it was triggering his sensitive side so much, and give him a stern warning.

Seriously, I doubt we have lost many if any games due to refs this year. All's we can ask them to do is call the game to the best of their ability and let the players on the court decide the winner and the loser. Last night, after this technical foul was called, the momentum swung to Creighton and soon we were 12 down. That is why I was so proud of the Shockers, even though we lost. We fought back against a smart team that never beats themself, and had a chance at the buzzer to go to overtime. Creighton won, but they knew they got a tough win at a place they had lost the last 2 or so. After being mauled by Mo State, it was nice to see us bounce back and play hard and better. Now we just have to find ways to squeak out some wins, especially at home.

In conclusion, thanks Shock Ref as always for your insight on the emphasis that is being enforced more this year. You could not pay me enough to take over you or Subgod22's jobs of reffing.
                    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

I thought the refs were pretty bad, but they were bad on both ends. That "dribble with one hand, shove off with the other" thing bothers we. We got away with that all night long.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh

At that point in the game I wasn't surprised by anything the officials would call against WSU.

Do you honestly think the Refs got together before the game and said "Marshall is in his first year against Altman. We have to T up Marshall to show Altman we respect him." Give me a break. It was a bad call from a bad ref, not because Marshall is a MVC rookie coach. :roll:
                        "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                        -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Patrick Evans was not a valley ref and I think that he was trying to show everyone in the valley that he can hate wsu like everyone else. Even after the T HCGM remained very controlled in order to try to win a basketball game. I understand that we put ourselves in the situation but those refs may as well of been wearing blue. It was an embarrassment to the valley and it was horrible that we were on the bad end of the stick.
                          J

Comment

Originally posted by BA2929

Do you honestly think the Refs got together before the game and said "Marshall is in his first year against Altman. We have to T up Marshall to show Altman we respect him." Give me a break. It was a bad call from a bad ref, not because Marshall is a MVC rookie coach. :roll:
                            I think Aargh was being a touch sarcastic..
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever
                              Originally posted by BA2929

I think Aargh was being a touch sarcastic..
                              I can't tell anymore on this message board when someone is being sarcastic or not, unless they use a 8) or some other emoticon.
                              "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                              -- Yogi Berra

Comment

That T did cost us points galore. WSU just ran a play where Griskenas got a back screen for the lob, and the T was called as he was jumping to catch the ball and put it in. Then Creighton got the T free throws and the ball.

But, when Creighton had 10 more fouls and WSU shot 15 more free throws, you can't blame officials.

Comment

Working...
                                X