Greece practices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greece practices

Have the practices for the Greece trip started?
    Any way to get reports from them?

Originally posted by kcshocker View Post
    BAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH oooooohhhhh hohohohohohoh aahahahahahahaaha

That was a good one!!

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by kcshocker View Post
      Have the practices for the Greece trip started?
      Need to get someone installed in the air ducts with a camera

Comment

Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Need to get someone installed in the air ducts with a camera
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Comment

Comment

Seems like examples that support Coach Paulino's statement that HCPM spends more time teaching players how to play than teaching plays.

Comment

Channel 12 did a clip on the 1st WSU practice preparing for Greece. KP and C. Rogers were interviewed. These 2 could very well be leaders to the keys to success this Season.
                Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Pierre is still unsigned, yes? Gettin pretty late is it not?

Comment

Originally posted by shock-it-to-me View Post
                    Pierre is still unsigned, yes? Gettin pretty late is it not?
                    Posted in the transfer portal thread ..

Grades must have really been an issue

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                      The return of the PNR to the offense would be a wonderful change. Haven't seen that for a few years.

Great foundational philosophy (opening up the lane and exploiting).

Comment

Wichita State basketball kicks off first team practice ahead of Greece exhibition tour
                        Taylor Eldridge; Tue, July 18, 2023

https://news.yahoo.com/wichita-state...hssrp_catchall

I, in particular, liked reading this:

After flirting with the transfer portal this offseason, Kenny Pohto returned for his third season with the Shockers in hopes of a bigger role — both in production and leadership.

He ultimately returned to WSU because of the dedication of Mills and the new coaching staff, which made retaining him a top priority when he was still in the transfer portal. Pohto said he was particularly impressed by player development coach Iain Laymon, who trained with him at 6 a.m. even when he was in the portal.

“The coaches really invested in me,” Pohto said. “That showed their commitment. They were talking to me every day, calling me every day. I think their plan for this year and all of the stuff we’ve been working on, that’s what I’m looking forward to. I’m excited. It feels like it’s going to be a really good year.”
                        and this as well:

For these early practices, Mills is more focused on teaching concepts and the style of basketball he wants the team to play, rather than try to install a myriad of offensive sets before the trip.

For instance, the court was covered in tape when the players arrived for Monday’s practice. The tape provided a visual aid for players to instruct them where to run during fast breaks to properly space the floor. Mills demands the middle of the floor be empty, preaching the wings to hug the sidelines to provide space for the ball handler and big man to operate.

“You don’t want them doing too much thinking,” Mills said. “Defensively, there’s concepts we have to nail down. But I kind of look at this in three phases. We’re still in Phase 1 and it probably takes six-to-eight weeks to feel comfortable with Phase 1. That’s what (this trip) will allow us to do and hopefully get into Phase 2 defensively. And then there are things we want to do offensively, but I don’t know yet because I’m not really sure about the package just yet. I have an idea of how we might utilize these guys, but I think these scrimmages will help sort that out.”
                        What will be a successful trip?:

“No injuries and everybody is eligible,” Mills said. “They’re taking summer classes right now, and if we can handle our business there and we don’t get anybody injured, then it’s been a very successful trip.”
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 18, 2023, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Watch out -- KP has a bicep!

Comment

Count me as impressed

Comment

Mills is trying to get away from the old approach with a 1,2,3, etc., and move to the positionless, modern basketball (and NBA) that teams are moving toward, and we have been talking about the past couple of years. We obviously need Cortes because he is a solid guard that seems to have multiple skills. The curious thing is that CPorter is the type of player who would thrive in this system that Mills is talking about.

I think Mills would say that ALL of the players need to be able to have the skills to handle the ball, pass the ball, rebound the ball, shoot the ball, etc., but that seems easier said than done. I think that Brown wanted to see this positionless basketball played, but couldn't totally pull it off. I like the idea of positionless basketball, but haven't seen it done at the college level with very much success. However, I wish Mills luck, and hope he can bring this system into a reality here at WSU. Taylor tells us what Mills is contemplating with his skills based positionless basketball. Without Cortes, Mills doesn't have a choice in Greece, but we will see if Mills non-traditional approach has a chance to be successful.

The non-traditional approach Paul Mills is taking to Wichita State point guard position

The point guard position is always a position of curiosity for fans, who want to know which players are going to be handling the ball and orchestrating the offense. That question is near the top of list for fans of the Wichita State men’s basketball, as the team logged its second official practice at Koch Arena on Tuesday ahead of its August exhibition tour in Greece. It’s likely first-year head coach Paul Mills is still seeking a point guard for the 13th and final scholarship spot on WSU’s 2023-24 roster, but with such a short ramp-up time before the team leaves in two weeks, that point guard prospect likely won’t make the trip to Greece. That leaves only one natural point guard on the roster in Oklahoma transfer Bijan Cortes, who is still clearing academic hurdles to become eligible and will not be able to play in games for WSU in Greece, a team spokesperson confirmed to The Eagle. Mills is confident Cortes will complete the necessary classwork in order to be ready to start the season, but Cortes’ absence in Greece opens up opportunities — and questions — for the Shockers at point guard. The coach is taking a non-traditional approach to the situation. “Who is the Boston Celtics’ point guard? Who is the Denver Nuggets’ point guard?” Mills asked rhetorically. “For me, it’s not a big deal. I don’t get caught up in, ‘You’re the 1, you’re the 2, you’re the 3, you’re the 4 and you’re the 5.’ It’s more about how do you play and what should the spacing look like, regardless of who has the basketball.”

Read more at: https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...#storylink=cpy

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...277451338.html

Comment

Working...
                              X