Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Practice, Scrimmage, or Pickup Games this Weekend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice, Scrimmage, or Pickup Games this Weekend?

Does anyone know if there are any practice, scrimmage, or pickup games this holiday weekend - Thursday, Friday, or Saturday? If so, what time are they normally held and are they open to the public? Also, if they are open to the public, where do you enter at Koch Arena to watch?

Scrimmages

I do not know if there are any scrimmages this week. However, I can tell you that whenever they are going on, you can enter any of the doors into Koch Arena, but you have to be inside before 5 PM. The doors are closed after that. I watched a scrimmage in early June. The players didn't start scrimmaging until after the basketball camps that lasted until around 4:30 PM. Those camps are over now, so I have no idea when the scrimmages start now. Hopefully, someone else can answer that question.

Comment

It's pretty random. Showing up around 4pm between Tues and Thurs is a good bet to see some action. I will probably go out and watch another game if we have more players show up. As it stands, I saw all I need to see of the current crop of talent. If I get any more excited about next year, I will blow my expectational load.. and that will be messy (for all of us).

T

...:cool:

Comment

After that, I think I better make some time to get over there.

Comment

Scrimmages

Please let us know if Chadrack Ufile is at the next practice. I saw somewhere else that he was due to show up the past Sun (2 days ago). I'm not sure i spelled his name right.

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
            Please let us know if Chadrack Ufile is at the next practice. I saw somewhere else that he was due to show up the past Sun (2 days ago). I'm not sure i spelled his name right.
            It is Lufile.
            "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

ur going to blow your load, now that's Shocker Madness...lmfao...cant wait till season starts. GOSHOX!!

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
                "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                -John Wooden

Comment

Okay here is a brief update on what I observed today.

1. We arrive at Charles Koch Arena today at about 3:30 pm. My three sons and nephew got to play on Devlin Court for about an hour (there were a few ladies from the women’s team playing one-on-one and practicing their jump shots). I wished the ladies well with the upcoming season.

2. The Men started practice at 5:00 pm today and I had to be at a dinner party at 6:00.

3. There were 14 players suited-up to practice. The only players not there were Randall Vautravers, Henry Uwadiae, and Deontae "Teddy" Hawkins. Yes, Chadrack Lufile was there and looked great. I spoke with two players regarding Uwadiae and Hawkins and both expressed the same feelings that neither would be on campus this year, but would not say 100 percent as they did not know the specifics of each of their circumstances.

4. I had new batteries and a new memory card for my wife’s video camera and thought we had videoed the first two scrimmage sessions. I am heartbroken as neither of the two sessions copied correctly onto the memory card. I FAILED, FAILED, FAILED.

5. We took about 100 pictures with the other camera before we had to leave, but I am still mad about the video debacle to really look at them right now. Plus I am not sure the pictures provide enough description of the practice.

6. I met each of the returning and new players, shook their hands and welcomed them back or here to WSU. Everyone was very polite and gracious. I told each of the returning seniors there is no more playing time at WSU after this season so don’t leave anything on the bench. I reminded them to make sure they attend class and to help/support each other throughout the season.

7. Thoughts on the two scrimmage sessions that I watched. They played to 11 points by 1 point and both games were very close in baskets scored, so neither team simply blew away the other team with superior play. As I watched, (while also thinking I was taping) I noticed that all the players were very serious about playing, they all appeared to play fairly aggressively and weren’t afraid to put some serious flesh onto each other. I saw some nice baskets scored with great passing for layups. Several of our players were willing to jack-it-up for threes, like Baker and our big men White and Lufile. Orupke sat out the first session and played in the second. I remember one particular play by EO trying to dunk the ball, but either someone partially blocked the ball or fouled him. The way EO reacted he thought he was fouled but the other team was on their way to the other end.

8. FINAL THOUGHTS: I feel good about our opportunities this season. We have several seniors who will be able to contribute every game. Our sophomores have a year of WSU ball under Coach Marshall so that has to be pretty good, Right? Lastly, the wild card of Wiggins, Early, Lufile and Mitchell is difficult to assess at this point and I simply have to trust that Coach Marshall and the other Coaches have done their due diligence. With that said, again, I feel good about OUR team.

Go Shockers!!!

Comment

How did wessel look?

Comment

I believe Vautravers is leaving WSU for some small college. Seems like I heard or read that in the last week or so. I could be wrong though
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Thanks for the update. Any thoughts on the new guys skills? Can Early and Wiggins get to the rim? Can Lufile bang inside? Can VanVleet hang with Armstead?

I'm still curious who will sit this year. Armstead, Williams, Cotton, Hall, White, and Orukpe have all been "in the rotation" at the D-I level. I expect they will all play along with uber-talented Early and Wiggins. I expect Wessel and Green to have the most difficult time getting PT this year. Two of VanVleet, Mitchell, Baker, and Lufile are going to be situational players only.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                          Thanks for the update. Any thoughts on the new guys skills? Can Early and Wiggins get to the rim? Can Lufile bang inside? Can VanVleet hang with Armstead?

I'm still curious who will sit this year. Armstead, Williams, Cotton, Hall, White, and Orukpe have all been "in the rotation" at the D-I level. I expect they will all play along with uber-talented Early and Wiggins. I expect Wessel and Green to have the most difficult time getting PT this year. Two of VanVleet, Mitchell, Baker, and Lufile are going to be situational players only.
                          I agree that the guys with D1 experience are going to play. Ideally, you have 4 post players to rotate so I think Lufile will get good minutes. Baker sounds like he may be the best shooter on the team, and if he is, he'll play. Green is an ideal redshirt to allow him to bulk up a little. He's a wing so we don't have to worry about him trying to get to 230 or whatever to bang inside. FVV is the wildcard here for me. If he isn't going to redshirt and is going to get minutes, that pretty much means that Cotton will be on the bench. I have a hard time seeing Cotton not playing.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                            I believe Vautravers is leaving WSU for some small college. Seems like I heard or read that in the last week or so. I could be wrong though
                            Blue Mountain State is a TV show, but I knew he'd catch some people with that...
                            "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                            -John Wooden

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              I agree that the guys with D1 experience are going to play. Ideally, you have 4 post players to rotate so I think Lufile will get good minutes. Baker sounds like he may be the best shooter on the team, and if he is, he'll play. Green is an ideal redshirt to allow him to bulk up a little. He's a wing so we don't have to worry about him trying to get to 230 or whatever to bang inside. FVV is the wildcard here for me. If he isn't going to redshirt and is going to get minutes, that pretty much means that Cotton will be on the bench. I have a hard time seeing Cotton not playing.
                              Sub, do you see Cotton as a PG or SG ? or a little of each depending on who else is in.

Comment

Working...
                              X