1982 Playboy All-American Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 Playboy All-American Team

Saw this cool picture online and had to at least attempt to cure some of our summer boredom:

Obviously, one of our favorite alumni is included. What I found surprising was that 'Toine wasn't, because I'd always been under the impression that he was the better player even though Cliff left early (I am not quite old enough to remember specifics of their games).

I was originally going to ask the old timers on the board for their recollections, but decided to research the stats anyway. I was very surprised at the rebounding gap, given that they were almost identical physically and had virtually the same type of careers in the pros (basically workhorses that weren't relied on offensively very much).

AC's PPG/RPG:

Fresh - 15.2/5.9
    Soph - 15.8/7.3
    Junior - 16.0/7.0
    Senior - 22.6/7.6

CL's PPG/RPG:

Fresh - 15.8/10.1
    Soph - 18.5/11.4
    Junior - 13.9/10.2

Any additional memories or insight from anyone?

Cliff was a monster on the boards and got a lot of his scoring on put backs, often of his own shots, and seldom scored from farther out than 8 feet. He was your genuine workhorse underneath, much like Carl Hall times 2. He always carred his lunch pail into a game.

Antoine could shoot the rock and was a very good ball handler for his size. He could pull up and hit the jumper or slash to the basket and was so strong that nobody could stop him inside. AC was a better shot blocker as well. He also was more inclined to foul. AC was better at the line. AC could either get a rebound or block a shot, take the ball and dribble the length of the court for a layup or monster dunk. He was one would would take over a game and control both ends for several minutes at a time. Awesome.

Comment

Actually, AC getting the rebounds he did during the 3 years Cliff was here was pretty amazing given that the first 2 years they played with 6'11" Ozell Jones, all 3 years with Jay Jackson, and the 3rd year with X and Dreiling. AC was battling his own teammates for rebounds more than the opposition.

Comment

And 6'10" Zarko Durisic during his senior year...
        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

AC's senior year was the Xman's sophomore year and X lead the nation for the first time with 14+ and an other big in the paint doesn't leave a lot of rebounds.

Comment

This thread depresses me...

T

...:cool:

Comment

Cheer up theres not one Korver in the entire picture
              I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

That's Mitchell Anderson (Bradley U) to the right of Cliff. The Valley was always good/great (up until about '90).

Comment

There is not enough bare chest and nudity shown to excite cold blood thing. Please cure soon.

Comment

Working...
                  X