Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Ranking the coaching jobs: The Others" - ESPN

"Ranking the coaching jobs: The Others" - ESPN

It's Coaches Week on ESPN.com and today we're going conference by conference to rank the best and worst coaching jobs, as voted on by 14 of our writers and television analysts.

I haven't seen Creighton's facilities on campus but I can't believe they are better than ours. I have seen them a couple of times and was blown away. Our players have some super nice on site digs. Just plain awesome. And the Chuck? The only problem with it is the size, would like to see it hold another couple thousand.

Just a great place in a conference in desperate need of an overhaul. That's all.

Comment

Originally posted by Capitol Shock II View Post
      I haven't seen Creighton's facilities on campus but I can't believe they are better than ours. I have seen them a couple of times and was blown away. Our players have some super nice on site digs. Just plain awesome. And the Chuck? The only problem with it is the size, would like to see it hold another couple thousand.

Just a great place in a conference in desperate need of an overhaul. That's all.
      Interesting, even though I live in Omaha, I have never even paid attention to what Creighton has for practice facilities. This post got me wondering, what does Creighton have for practice facilities? I did a search on the internet and came up with... nothing! That really got me wondering, so I made a few calls and got some answers. Creighton has two on campus practice facilities, three if you include their student rec center.

Their main practice facility is what they call the "Old Gym" or Vinardi Center (sp). It has two full courts, plus all of the weight training and conditioning equipment for basketball. I asked as to what equipment they had and was simply told that they have everything. The guy told me the equipment was state of the art and everything that they could want, but didn't elaborate. My guess is that it is very nice, I just don't know why Creighton doesn't put out any information on it. Maybe it was where Kevin Ross studied or something. :chuncky:

They also practice occasionally in the new Sokal Arena. It is the home of women's basketball and volleyball, the men don't use it very often from what I am told. It seats around 3,500 to 4,000, has some quality amenities and is very nice. My guess is that it is a smaller version of UNI's McCloud Center. Can't say any more about it, I don't know.

Lastly, they have the student rec center, but is rarely ever used by the basketball team. They will however, use it should the need arise. It contains five, full sized courts. Five indoor courts seems like a lot for a school as small as Creighton, but what do I know, where I went to school, they had one indoor and two outdoor.

All of that said, that is all I know. I don't know, nor do I really care who has the nicer facilities. My guess is that both Creighton and Wichita State have just about everything that they could want or need. Anything above that is just window dressing anyway. I would also guess that both Creighton and Wichita State are heads and tails above what just about any other Valley school could dream for in basketball training and practice facilities. It was interesting to try and piece this together, though, and hopefully, gives Shocker fans a bit of insight on what Creighton has, which to many, even in Omaha, is a great unknown. I was disappointed that I couldn't find this stuff or piece much, if any of it together on a simple internet search.
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I like this:
        A few important notes: This is not an attempt to rank the programs or their histories.
        Missouri Valley: Wichita State got first-place votes from Fran Fraschilla and Jason King, who know the conference well, but the rest of the panel went for Creighton, which has the same loyal and large fan base but more success on the court than WSU over the past 15 years.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
        X