Practice - January 11, 2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice - January 11, 2008

I went to the ticket office this afternoon.

Afterwards, I stuck my nose into the arena. The team was practicing. I watched for about 5-7 minutes. Interestingly, I was not asked to leave. If it had been a Coach Turgeon practice, I would have been surrounded immediately. If fairness, perhaps I was not seen by any of the staff.

Here is what I saw as follows:

1. Arbry was on the bench. He looked very dejected. His left leg was propped up on the folding chairs with some kind of large pillow. I guess he has an ankle injury, but I am not sure.

2. The team practiced zone defense on both ends of the floor. #1 v. #2.

3. While there, all shots were 3 balls. None connected. Since there was instruction with the drills, I saw perhaps 5-6 shots.

4. The players looked tired. I imagine I arrived near the end of a long practice.

5. JT was on the side.

As an aside, I wish Ellis and Griskenal would start hitting just a little bit. I think it would make a world of difference in the team's performance. I am not asking for Kobe. I am not asking for Dwayne. I am not asking for Ray. I am asking for just a little bit.

you forgot to mention Michael Redd. he can shoot

Comment

Paul Sullentrop watched the tape of the MSU game to get Doug Gottlieb's comments on watching two Shocker practices.

A

Here is what ESPN2's Doug Gottlieb said after watching WSU practice Monday night and Tuesday before the game: "I think that Gregg Marshall needs to be careful of, cautious of, is when you're trying to coach execution, what happens is, by coaching execution, you take away from one, the team's legs, and you have to have your legs to hit shots, and the second thing is, just getting volume shot ups in practice. Getting more and more shots tends to allow you to make shots and that cuts down the more you work on individual play sets, which Wichita State did a ton of in practice." I think that's a reasonable opinion for Gottlieb (whom I love as a college basketball voice) to express after a quick view at the Shockers, and one that quickly comes to mind when you watch WSU shoot horribly. I disagree, however. I would largely discount the first theory and totally discount the second. Here and there, it would not surprise me if fatigue some Shockers a little. The Shockers practice hard, they are not deep and it is easy to get tired, or look tired, when shots don't fall. But I think they have worked hard on conditioning all season and I don't think you can blame their poor shooting on weary legs. After all, WSU has been a pretty good hustle team this season. Certainly, I don't think you can make a case that less practice is good for this team. I attend at least parts of most WSU practices. They shoot a lot. They start every practice with a shooting drill. They often do one in the middle. They seem to finish practices with shooting and free throws. That is in addition to the shooting that comes in the normal course of a practice. The coaches frequently mention the gym is open for players to get in their own shooting. Some players, especially Gal and a few others, stay after practice for more shooting.
      Paul Suellentrop 1/09/08

Comment

Am I the only one who supposes that there may be just a wee bit too much emphasis and pressure being placed on our poor shooting from everyone on down to Joe Smoe the Ragman?

I know from golf that the moment I question my ability and put pressure on myself to make a putt, I most likely will miss it badly. I think the same holds for just about any sport.

Let the guys play and, at least as fans, lets not put any more pressure on them than they are already under.

Comment

Re: Practice - January 11, 2008

Originally posted by Ricky Del Rio
          I went to the ticket office this afternoon.

Afterwards, I stuck my nose into the arena. The team was practicing. I watched for about 5-7 minutes. Interestingly, I was not asked to leave. If it had been a Coach Turgeon practice, I would have been surrounded immediately. If fairness, perhaps I was not seen by any of the staff.

Here is what I saw as follows:

1. Arbry was on the bench. He looked very dejected. His left leg was propped up on the folding chairs with some kind of large pillow. I guess he has an ankle injury, but I am not sure.

2. The team practiced zone defense on both ends of the floor. #1 v. #2.

3. While there, all shots were 3 balls. None connected. Since there was instruction with the drills, I saw perhaps 5-6 shots.

4. The players looked tired. I imagine I arrived near the end of a long practice.

5. JT was on the side.

As an aside, I wish Ellis and Griskenal would start hitting just a little bit. I think it would make a world of difference in the team's performance. I am not asking for Kobe. I am not asking for Dwayne. I am not asking for Ray. I am asking for just a little bit.
          I've watched a couple practices and all they did was run sets and practice shooting. One drill went on for 10-15 minutes and all they did was shoot mid-range jumpers from near the free throw line.
          "You can observe a lot just by watching."
          -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Good advice, 60.
            Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Originally posted by wsu789
              Good advice, 60.
              just put the damn ball in the hole. that advice is good in everything in life. :D
              ________
              VIDEO REVIEW
              http://youtube.com/watch?v=XTOEV6f7jB4

Comment

Working...
              X