• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today in Shockers Sports History: March 23rd

For the day, the Shockers are:
    2 and 2

Regular Season (Games of Interest):
    2013 – Beat (#1) Gonzaga in Salt Lake City, Utah 76-70. NCAA Second & Third Rounds (Salt Lake City/ Energy Solutions Arena). Cleanthony Early and Ron Baker scored 16 points apiece and Wichita State hit five straight 3-pointers late to knock the top-ranked and No. 1-seeded Bulldogs out of the NCAA tournament 76-70 on Saturday. The Shockers (28-8) advanced to the Round of 16 for the first time since 2006, while Gonzaga became the first top seed to be eliminated, giving all the Zags doubters an I-told-you-so moment. The Zags survived a scare in the second round against Southern but couldn't hold up against a fellow mid-major from Kansas whose motto is "play angry."

2011 – Beat College of Charleston in Wichita 82-75. National Invitational Tournament (campus sites). As he exited a loud locker room into a jubilant hallway, Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall greeted boosters, friends and family by repeating three letters: MSG. Wichita State clinched a spot in the NIT semifinals at Madison Square Garden by holding off College of Charleston 82-75 on Wednesday night. The Shockers (27-8) were led by seniors, Gabe Blair (16 points) and J.T. Durley (14 points), playing their final home game. "A lot of emotions right now," Marshall said. "It was wonderful. After the first 15 minutes resulted in a 19-19 score, Blair scored six straight points and Graham Hatch hit two 3-pointers during an 18-6 run to end the half. Even when the Cougars tried to run down the clock for the final shot, Murry stole the ball from Goudelock near midcourt, then passed ahead to Ragland for a buzzer-beating layup that gave Wichita State a 37-25 lead. "Boy, the fans here are something, and we got a little excited to start the game," coach Bobby Cremins said. "We got away from our game, and we dug ourselves a hole."

2011 – MOSTLY THE FIRST HALF: Wichita State vs. CoC Basketball

2011 NIT PHOTO MONTAGE - College of Charleston versus Wichita State

Comment

2013 – FULL GAME: WSU Gonzaga

Comment

This article puts into perspective how legendary the Shock's comeback against #1 Gonzaga was: https://www.si.com/college/2013/06/2...topped-gonzaga

"Three months after it happened, it still seems fairly surreal: 2-3-3-3-2-2-3-3-2.

What hit the Zags was one of the best stretches of offense in any game last season.

According to college hoops stats guru Ken Pomeroy, there were fewer than 65 instances in the more than 5,600 games played last season where a team scored 23 points or more in a sequence of nine consecutive possessions. "

Comment

2013- "I make these things a family choice. I don’t just say, ‘Hey, pack your bags, here we go. Daddy’s been offered $2 million to go get his brains beaten out over here for three years before he gets fired.’ That’s not what I want to do. I like winning and I think we’re going to win here."
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
          X