• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today in Shockers Sports History: March 20th

For the day, the Shockers are:
    5 and 2

Regular Season (Games of Interest):
    2019 – Won at Furman in Greenville, S.C. 76-70. National Invitational Tournament (campus sites). Markis McDuffie had 20 points as Wichita State topped Furman 76-70 in the first round of the NIT on Wednesday night. Jaime Echenique had 16 points and 10 rebounds for Wichita State (20-14). Erik Stevenson added 12 points and six rebounds. Asbjorn Midtgaard had 10 rebounds for the Shockers.

2015 – (#14) WSU Won vs. Indiana in Omaha, Neb. 81-76. NCAA Second & Third Rounds (Omaha, Neb./CenturyLink Center. Though ice cold from three (2-of-13), WSU still piled up 81 points, thanks to Fred VanVleet's big day. The junior point guard scored a game-high 27 to win a head-to-head point guard battle with former AAU circuit rival Yogi Ferrell (24 points) by getting to the rim repeatedly... When he wasn't converting tough layups, he and Ron Baker were doing damage at the foul line. Both went 9-of-10 from the stripe... The Shockers hit 29 total free throws to 17 for Indiana... Zach Brown set career-highs across the board with 11 points and 8 rebounds.

2011 – Won at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, Va. 79-76 (OT). National Invitational Tournament (campus sites). Gregg Marshall's return to the area where he spent his youth couldn't have gone much better. His team made sure of it. Joe Ragland's layup with 2.6 seconds left in overtime lifted Wichita State to a 79-76 victory over Virginia Tech in the second round of the NIT on Sunday. The Shockers (26-8) advanced to play the College of Charleston on Tuesday night. It made for a sweet return for Marshall, who graduated from Cave Spring High school in Roanoke, Va., just a 45-minute drive from the Virginia Tech campus, and attended college at Randolph-Macon College near Richmond. "I grew up coming to basketball games here and football games at Lane Stadium," he said. "I've got some very good friends waiting on me as soon as I'm done here. I can't wait to visit with them. .I've got a lot of people I want to touch and thank for sharing this experience." Murry led a balanced Wichita State attack with 15 points, and Graham Hatch added 14 as five Shockers finished in double figures.

1981 – Won vs. Kansas in New Orleans 66-65. NCAA Midwest Regional (New Orleans, La.) In the first meeting between WSU and Kansas in a quarter-century, reserve guard Mike Jones became a legend. Jones' 24-footer with 46 seconds left trimmed the Jayhawk lead to 65-64. After KU's Darnell Valentine missed on the opposite end, Jones -- who averaged all of 4.5 points -- again had the ball in his hands. With bookend forwards Antoine Carr and Cliff Levingston heavily guarded and point guard Randy Smithson similarly shadowed, Jones cut loose a 25-footer that swished the net with two seconds showing.

1922 – Won vs. Friends in Wichita (at the Forum) 27-21

Other:
    The NIT first-round win at Furman (Mar. 20, 2019) was Marshall’s 500th career victory. He became just the 10th NCAA Division I coach to hit that mark before the end of his 21st season.

1981 – FULL GAME: WSU - KU The Battle of New Orleans 1981

Comment

2011 PHOT0 MONTAGE: NIT - Wichita State versus Virginia Tech

2011 - WSU at Virginia Tech - Audio (03-20-11)

Comment

2015 – FULL GAME: NCAA Wichita State Indiana (Note: it’s in Russia)

2015 – POST GAME ANALYSIS: Indiana vs Wichita State 2015 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Comment

The “U” in the Furman student section was very sad that day.
          2019 – Quote Furman Student
          Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
          2019 Gregg Marshall - 500th win
          [QUOTE=WuShock Reaper;n1177340]500th Career Win - Gregg Marshall.JPG

Comment

Working...
          X