• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today in Shockers Sports History: March 17th

For the day, the Shockers are:
    3 and 2

Regular Season (Games of Interest):
    2017 – (#19) WSU Won vs. (#RV) Dayton in Indianapolis, Indiana 64-58. NCAA First Round (Indianapolis, Ind./Bankers Life Fieldhouse). Wichita State can play a little defense, too. Just ask the stunned Flyers. The Shockers' powerful offense stalled out until the closing minutes, but their defense carried them through to a 64-58 victory over Dayton on Friday night in the South Regional. Make it 16 straight wins for the Shockers (31-4) , who brought their reputation for piling up the points to Indianapolis, along with the feeling that they'd been slighted by their No. 10 seed. They made the gritty plays in a game lacking style-points. "It was definitely something a little brand new to us from what we've seen in the Missouri Valley," said Zach Brown, who had 12 points, including a late 3. "But I don't know -- we've just grinded it out. It was a tough game."

2016 – (#RV) WSU Won vs. (#17) Arizona in Providence, R.I. 65-55. NCAA First & Second Rounds (Providence, R.I./Dunkin’ Donuts Arena). It didn't take long for Wichita State to send a message to Arizona that the Wildcats were in for a long night. After Wichita State's Fred VanVleet and Ron Baker dived to the floor for a loose ball at Arizona's end in the first minute of their NCAA tournament game Thursday night, Wildcats coach Sean Miller called a timeout. It was evident from the outset that Wichita State's in-your-face defense was going to be a huge factor again. "That was kind of a statement from the get-go that we were going to start the game playing hard," Baker said. The Shockers' senior duo of VanVleet and Baker combined for 29 points and Wichita State's swarming defense did the rest in a 65-55 first-round victory. Arizona entered the game averaging 81.2 points. "Big-time effort, big-time game plan," said VanVleet, who finished with 16 points and five steals. "Obviously, I was able to have some success early."

1927 – Won vs. St. Joe (Mo.) Boosters in Kansas City, Mo. 37-26. 3rd-round AAU National Tournament (Kansas City, Mo.)

2016 - FULLGAME: 2016 NCAA Tournament - First Round - Wichita State vs Arizona

Comment

2017 - GAME HIGHLIGHTS: Wichita State vs. Dayton

Comment

Unfortunately, it was a loss, but today is also the anniversary of the 2004 Florida State NIT game. It was the first big game I ever saw at The Roundhouse. What a nutty atmosphere!
        78-65

Comment

[QUOTE=WuShock Reaper;n1385409]2016 - FULLGAME: 2016 NCAA Tournament - First Round - Wichita State vs Arizona

Taylor Eldridge has a great look back at this game on Twitter today. Complete with shots of Sean Miller sweating through his shirt. We held them scoreless for ten minutes. The very definition of tough defense.

Comment

All I think of when Insee this is Sean Miller back at Xavier who won their first round game while Arizona lost theirs.

Comment

Working...
            X