• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today in Shockers Sports History: March 15th

For the day, the Shockers are:
    7 and 5

Regular Season (Games of Interest):
    2019 – Won vs. (#RV) Temple in Memphis, Tenn. 80-74. American Athletic Conference Tournament (Memphis, Tenn./FedEx Forum). Markis McDuffie had a career-high 34 points plus 12 rebounds as Wichita State topped Temple in the American Athletic Conference Tournament quarterfinals on Friday night. McDuffie hit 12 of 13 foul shots. Dexter Dennis had 19 points and 11 rebounds for Wichita State (19-13).

2016 – WSU (#RV) Won vs. Vanderbilt in Dayton, Ohio 70-50. NCAA First Four (Dayton, Ohio/ University of Dayton Arena). The Shockers outscored Vanderbilt 20-2 over the final 8:38 to turn a tight game into a rout and advance out of the First Four... After an 0-for-5 first half, WSU's three-point shooters locked in, hitting 7-of_14 down the stretch... The Shockers survived a 37% shooting night by buckling down defensively. The Commodores hit just 3-of-19 from outside and finished up at 30.2% overall. Ron Baker narrowly missed a double-double with 14 points, nine rebounds. Fred VanVleet collected 14 points to go with seven assists and committed just one turnover... Anton Grady -- a graduate transfer from Cleveland State -- came up big off the bench with 11 points and seven rebounds in his first taste of NCAA Tournament action.

1981 – Won vs. (#13) Iowa in Wichita 60-56. NCAA Midwest Sub Regional (Wichita, Kan.) Knotted at 56, 13th-ranked Iowa called a timeout with 17 seconds left in overtime to set up a play for forward Kevin Boyle. He missed, and WSU's Antoine Carr was fouled as he grabbed the rebound with less than five seconds to go. Iowa coach Lute Olson asked for a timeout (with none left) drawing a technical foul. Carr missed the front end of a one-and-one, but WSU's Randy Smithson hit both technical shots to put the Shockers up 58-56. WSU received the ball out of bounds, drew a foul and hit two more free throws to pad the margin... Wichita State had trailed by 15 points early in the second half but drew energy from a vocal Levitt Arena crowd. The Shockers held the Hawkeyes scoreless for nearly nine minutes and tied the game with a 15-0 run.

1927 – Won vs. OKC Sterling Milk in Kansas City, Mo. 54-29. 1st-round of the AAU National Tournament (Kansas City, Mo.)

1926 – Won vs. NENBOKC (AAU) in Kansas City, Mo. 26-17. 1st-round of the AAU National Tournament (Kansas City, Mo.)

1922 – Won vs. L.A. Athletic Club in Wichita 29-17

1918 – Won vs. Friends at the Forum in Wichita 23-14.

1981 - MTXE Rewind (March 15, 1981)

Comment

2016 - First Four: Wichita State tops Vanderbilt

Comment

2019 - Men's Basketball AAC Championship Highlights - #6 Wichita State 80, #3 Temple 74

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
          1981 - MTXE Rewind (March 15, 1981)
          I’ve attended nearly every game in the arena and that was the absolute loudest it has ever been… it was deafening. Had we played with Ozell Jones (he was ruled ineligible before this game), we likely would have another Final Four or even a National Championship banner hanging in the rafters next to the other greats (of course one all-time great is still missing)... we ended up beating KU, but really missed the big-man when we played LSU. I’ll never forget the majority of Superdome fans chanting “Tiger Bait, Tiger Bait” in unison… it was intimidating for a young team, but a memory I’ll never forget.
          Last edited by WstateU; March 15, 2023, 12:21 PM.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
            1927 – Won vs. OKC Sterling Milk in Kansas City, Mo. 54-29. 1st-round of the AAU National Tournament (Kansas City, Mo.)

1926 – Won vs. NENBOKC (AAU) in Kansas City, Mo. 26-17. 1st-round of the AAU National Tournament (Kansas City, Mo.)
            There wasn’t a NIT or NCAA tournament back in Ross and my day, it was the AAU National Tournament, where all the best teams in the country played for the national championship. If you were an AAU All-American, you were one of the very best players in the entire country.

Ross wrote the All-American criteria… he was an All-American in every way.

Hang his jersey! Hang his jersey! Hang his jersey!
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I’ve attended nearly every game in the arena and that was the absolute loudest it has ever been… it was deafening. Had we played with Ozell Jones (he was ruled ineligible before this game), we likely would have another Final Four or even a National Championship banner hanging in the rafter next to the other greats (of course one all-time great is still missing). Of course, we ended up beating KU, but really missed the big-man when we played LSU. I’ll never forget the majority of Superdome fans chanting “Tiger Bait, Tiger Bait” in unison… it was intimidating for a young team, but a memory I’ll never forget.
              I think Doc once told me that the Fire Marshal was on vacation on that day 42 years ago.
              78-65

Comment

Many new friends were made on that warm & sunny Sunday in March.

Comment

1981- 3 future NBA players followed by 4 the next year. All bigs who made big impact on the NBA as well.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

I think Doc once told me that the Fire Marshal was on vacation on that day 42 years ago.
                    There were so many people in that building. I remember literally feeling claustrophobic in F 12. Worse for the Iowa band that appeared to have around 30 members squeezed into maybe 10 seats. GA was so overpacked its not even funny. 10,666 was the number back then, and there were AT LEAST 11,200 in the building. People sitting and standing in every aisle up high. And yeah it was deafening, especially down 40-25 when the good guys started to comeback. There were a bunch of really good players in that regional.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

There were so many people in that building. I remember literally feeling claustrophobic in F 12. Worse for the Iowa band that appeared to have around 30 members squeezed into maybe 10 seats. GA was so overpacked its not even funny. 10,666 was the number back then, and there were AT LEAST 11,200 in the building. People sitting and standing in every aisle up high. And yeah it was deafening, especially down 40-25 when the good guys started to comeback. There were a bunch of really good players in that regional.
                      After the game ended. Noone left for what seemed like 10 minutes. Everyone just stood at there seats and kept the noise going.

Comment

Working...
                      X