• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today in Shockers Sports History: February 15th

For the day, the Shockers are:
    24 and 11

Regular Season (Games of Interest):
    2018 – (#19) WSU Beat Temple in Wichita 93-86. As his teammates headed to the locker room after allowing 56 first-half points, Wichita State senior center Shaquille Morris witnessed their frustration. And he saw opportunity. Would No. 19 Wichita State allow Temple to beat the Shockers for a second time in 15 days? Or would Wichita State storm back? After the Shockers' 93-86 victory Thursday, thanks in large part to Morris' 23 points and 13 rebounds, he had his answer. "Tonight defined our team," Morris said. "We've gotten better. "We needed a game like this, especially being down second half and showing resilience." Darral Willis had 24 points for the Shockers (20-5, 10-3 American Athletic Conference). Morris and Willis, senior big men, were combined 18 of 21 from the floor. "We rode them," Shockers coach Gregg Marshall said. "When they play like that, you can ride them." Austin Reaves scored 11 points for Wichita State, and Landry Shamet and Conner Frankamp each scored 10

2017 – (#RV) WSU Won at Southern Illinois in Carbondale, Ill. 87-68. Conner Frankamp scored 14 points to lead a balanced offense as Wichita State led wire-to-wire and defeated Southern Illinois 87-68 on Wednesday night. Landry Shamet and Markis McDuffie each scored 13 points, Shaquille Morris and Rauno Nurger added 12 apiece as Wichita State made 35 of 63 shots (56 percent) and 10 of 16 3-pointers. The Shockers (24-4, 14-1 Missouri Valley Conference) notched a ninth-straight win in their pursuit of a fourth consecutive conference championship. Wichita State has not lost since falling to MVC co-leader Illinois State Jan. 14. Shamet led Wichita State with six assists, McDuffie and Rashard Kelly led with nine rebounds each.

2016 – (#RV) WSU Beat New Mexico State in Wichita 71-41. Ron Baker scored 13 points to move up Wichita State's career scoring list and the Shockers beat New Mexico State 71-41 Monday night in a rare February non-conference matchup. Baker moved into 12th place in program history with 1,503 points. He also became the fifth Shocker to reach 100 career wins. Fred VanVleet added 12 points with seven assists for Wichita State (19-7), which rebounded after having its 43-game home winning streak come to an end last Saturday. The Shockers forced 20 turnovers and held the Aggies to 16-of-40 shooting. Conner Frankamp nailed a deep 3-pointer with two seconds left before halftime to extend Wichita State's lead to 37-24. Pascal Siakam recorded his 22nd double-double of the season with 17 points and 10 rebounds for New Mexico State (18-9), which had its nine-game winning streak halted. The game was originally scheduled for Dec. 28 but it was postponed when winter weather caused travel issues for the Aggies.

2012 – (#24) Beat Missouri State Wichita 73-58. The Shockers (23-4, 14-2), who were playing their first game as a ranked team since 2006-07, clinched at least a tie for the Missouri Valley Conference title. Ben Smith had 14 points and David Kyles added 12 for Wichita State, 10 coming in a decisive second-half run. Wichita State has won 13 of 14, the only loss coming in triple-overtime at Drake.

2011 – Won at Evansville in Evansville, Ind. 80-74. Ben Smith came off the bench and scored 17 points to help Wichita State hold off Evansville 80-74 on Tuesday night. The Shockers (22-5, 13-3), who registered their school-record eighth straight conference road victory, retained a share of the Missouri Valley lead with Missouri State. Joe Ragland scored 13 for the Shockers, Garrett Stutz 12 and Graham Hatch 10. J.T. Durley's 11 rebounds helped give Wichita State a 46-22 edge on the boards. Wichita State led 54-45, but Evansville regained the advantage 58-57. The Purple Aces' last edge came at 64-62 with 6:53 to go before the Shockers used a 6-0 run to break a 68-68 tie and seal the victory. Wichita State swept the season series from Evansville, which fell to 11-3 at home.

2003 – Beat (#12) Creighton in Wichita 80-74

1979 – Beat Drake in Wichita 125-96

1968 – Beat Bradley in Wichita 112-97

1965 – Beat (#9) Loyola (Chicago) in Wichita 80-77

1964 – (#6) WSU Won at Cincinnati in Cincinnati, Ohio 59-58 (OT)

1927 – Won at Bethel in Newton 36-25

1921 – Beat McPherson in Wichita 58-17

Reaper, do you have access to the box score from the ‘27 game? My memories a little sketchy, but I recall Ross having a quintuple-double that afternoon… 11-11-11-11-11. 11 points, 11 assists, 11 rebounds, 11 steals, and 11 blocks. He was stuffing the stat sheet and ‘thrashing the Threshers’. His feat might still stand in the all-time collegiate record books.
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
      Reaper, do you have access to the box score from the ‘27 game? My memories a little sketchy, but I recall Ross having a quintuple-double that afternoon… 11-11-11-11-11. 11 points, 11 assists, 11 rebounds, 11 steals, and 11 blocks. He was stuffing the stat sheet and ‘thrashing the Threshers’. His feat might still stand in the all-time collegiate record books.
      Did the Mennonites at least put you all up for the night in their spare bedrooms? They are big on hosting guests as opposed to making them stay at hotels.
      78-65

Comment

2016: Fred (referring to losing previous home game to UNI two days earlier): "We don't lose around here very often. It pisses us off."

Tyson last year: "I know that they're used to going undefeated around here, but it's okay. You can't win every game."
        78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Did the Mennonites at least put you all up for the night in their spare bedrooms? They are big on hosting guests as opposed to making them stay at hotels.
          Always great hosts, but we had to milk cows the next morning at 4am.

They’re kinda like the Amish…

“And I've been milkin' and plowin' so long that
          Even Ezekiel thinks that my mind is gone
          I'm a man of the land, I'm into discipline
          Got a Bible in my hand and a beard on my chin
          But if I finish all of my chores, and you finish thine
          Then tonight, we're gonna party like it's 1699.”

“There's no phone, no lights, no motorcar
          Not a single luxury
          Like Robinson Crusoe
          It's as primitive as can be…”

Comment

Sounds like Gilligan's island to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post
              Sounds like Gilligan's island to me.
              Weird Al. Amish Paradise. Fantastic musical composition.
              78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Weird Al. Amish Paradise. Fantastic musical composition.
                One of my best buddies (no, not Ross) was Old Order Amish; he loved this song…

RIP Isaiah

Comment

“There's no phone, no lights, no motorcar
                  Not a single luxury
                  Like Robinson Crusoe
                  It's as primitive as can be…”
                  This part was on the Gilligan's island theme song originally. But the Amish song used it much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

This part was on the Gilligan's island theme song originally. But the Amish song used it much better.
                    Pretty good entertainment back in the day...

Comment

Pretty good entertainment back in the day...

MARY ANN !!

Comment

Working...
                      X