• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today in Shockers Sports History: February 14th

For the day, the Shockers are:
    15 and 15

Regular Season (Games of Interest):
    2015 – (#15) WSU Won at Illinois St. Normal, Ill. 68-62. Struggling to make shots from the field, No. 15 Wichita State had to find another way to win Saturday. So that's what the Shockers did. Ron Baker scored 19 points and Wichita State overcame poor shooting with fierce defense in holding off Illinois State for a 68-62 victory. Fred VanVleet added 15 points and Evan Wessel scored 12 for the Shockers (23-3, 13-1 Missouri Valley Conference), who shot only 36.7 percent (18 of 49) from the floor. Wichita State was much better at the free throw line, making 27 of 32. "That was a pretty good ballgame," Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall said. "There was a lot of fight in both teams tonight. We certainly didn't shoot well, but neither did they. In the end, it didn't matter." The Shockers are 46-10 on the road since 2010-11, the best record in the nation. They won a modern MVC-record 13 straight road games before losing to No. 18 Northern Iowa on Jan. 31. ... Wichita State has held opponents to 55.8 points per game this season, which ranks eighth in the country.

2010 – Beat Missouri State in Wichita 66-64, Toure Murry scored 15 points and had seven rebounds to lead Wichita State to a 66-64 victory over Missouri State on Sunday night. Clevin Hannah also scored 15 points for the Shockers (21-6, 10-5 Missouri Valley), who maintained sole possession of second place in the conference by improving to 15-0 at home. Wichita State was 29 for 39 at the free-throw line while Missouri State was 7 of 14.

2009 – Beat Northern Iowa Wichita 69-61. Clevin Hannah helped Wichita State get off to a fast start and finished with 14 points as Wichita State upset Northern Iowa 69-61 Saturday. Wichita State (13-13, 7-8 Missouri Valley) never trailed in winning its seventh in nine games. Northern Iowa trailed 48-32 with 14 minutes remaining before climbing back. Koch scored seven points in a 15-6 run that cut Wichita State's lead to 54-47 with 5:03 to play. The Panthers would not get closer until Kerwin Dunham's 3-pointer with 42.6 seconds remaining that made it 66-61 Shockers. But Wichita State made three of its next four free throws to help seal the victory. Wichita State took control of the game with a 15-2 run midway through the first half. The stretch was capped by Reggie Chamberlain's 3-pointer -- one of seven the Shockers hit in the first half -- that made it 29-13 Wichita State.

2006 – Beat Creighton in Wichita 62-61 (OT). Matt Braeuer nailed a three-pointer with 0:00 for the Shocker win.

1983 – (#16) WSU Won at Drake in Des Moines, Iowa 80-65

1976 – Beat Southern Illinois in Wichita 65-64

1970 – Beat Loyola (Chicago) in Wichita 82-76

1959 – Beat North Texas in Wichita 87-62

1933 – Won at Washburn in Topeka 51-23

1916 – Beat Southwestern (KS) in Wichita 26-23

Missouri State at WSU - Audio (02-14-10)

Comment

Creighton at Wichita State Audio (02-14-06)

Wichita State vs. Creighton 2-14-06 - YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
        Creighton at Wichita State Audio (02-14-06)

Wichita State vs. Creighton 2-14-06 - YouTube
        Top 25 game of all time at Koch?

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Top 25 game of all time at Koch?
          Let’s just say that the list of games that were better than this is very short.

78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Let’s just say that the list of games that were better than this is very short.
            I’m talking Koch-Levitt which a lot of predates both of us. I might put together a list of Top 25 since Harry Miller era.

Comment

I’m talking Koch-Levitt which a lot of predates both of us. I might put together a list of Top 25 since Harry Miller era.
              Sully did an overall Top 100 list during COVID. You could extract The Roundhouse games from that.

EDIT: Never mind. It was a Top 50 list of 3G wins when he reached 300 WSU wins in 2019.
              78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Sully did an overall Top 100 list during COVID. You could extract The Roundhouse games from that.
                Good, I can do mine and compare when done. I may have some low key sleepers.

Comment

Good, I can do mine and compare when done. I may have some low key sleepers.
                  See edit
                  78-65

Comment

Working...
                  X