Butler to A-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butler to A-10

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--butler-has-moved-to-a-10--and-league-looking-to-get-even-stronger.html;_ylt=AuGc2l256VT58ODfKyfHt9XevbYF

D
    ont know if this was mentioned anywhere, but I know there has got to be a handful of people scratching their heads wondering why we don't make a move like this, but I guess that's why we post on the board and not get paid the big bucks of college sports. Great move for the Butler, gives them better competition and better chance of dancing on a consistent basis.

Mentioned here yesterday. We can't make a move like that without an invite. Probably considered to be too far West for the A10. And without football, there's really little that we fit into that could be considered a better situation
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I've always scoffed at the idea of global warming, much less harmful manmade global warming, but if the Atlantic has reached St. Louis and Indianapolis, maybe those sea levels really are rising. Who's to say they can't reach Wichita (or Omaha?) next?

Comment

Question is, why in the F is the MVC not being aggressive and trying to get some good programs?

Comment

Why? It's more fun to go golfing every day instead of going to work.

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
            Question is, why in the F is the MVC not being aggressive and trying to get some good programs?
            Agreed. This type of thread usually spawns a lot of pie in the sky talk about forming ultimate conferences that span the globe. I know it's fun for some to speculate and dream about ideal scenarios while talking **** on the valley but in all reality I think we're in a decent situation at the moment. The MVC is a solid top 10 conference that is vastly underrated by "the media". With a few small tweaks I really believe it could equal the A-10 as far as depth and power of the league in basketball.

I think the best scenario for WSU and the MVC is to slightly tweak the existing formula. Is that likely to happen? Probably not, but I would like to see it.

Comment

The A-10 passed the Valley a few years ago and is now lapping them.
              In the fast lane

Comment

Creighton has asked the A-10 and Big East to consider them if they consider expansion. WSU needs to do some asking also.
                In the fast lane

Comment

I've also seen talk elsewhere that Butler would have been interested in the MVC a few years back but that they never reached out. I was under the belief that Elgin had at least explored that option. Maybe in his mind it was only if they could get SLU as well to make it 12. If Butler really was interested, we should have added them and either ORU or Milwaukee to make 12. Solid programs that could have been brought along with a prize like Butler.

The MVC is a solid conference right now. But it's not going to last. Creighton will get an invite somewhere and when that happens, we take a major hit as a conference. If Bradley gets things turned around, I could see them getting an invite due to their location. Especially if the BE loses a couple and poaches from the A10. Illinois State I believe is capable of being solid if they get the right leadership and invest and can keep a coach that's worth a crap. But they're also exploring moving to FBS and could be gone in the not too distant future.

If all three were to leave and if we were stuck, things would not be pleasant. Elgin would look to add the XDSUs, ORU and may even be stupid enough to go after UNO. But at that point, our poor sisters to the east would probably be begging for the likes of IUPUI, Valpo and IPFW or whatever they are.

The A10 is creating a lot of distance and may be able to position themselves ahead of the Pac12.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                    The A10 is creating a lot of distance and may be able to position themselves ahead of the Pac12.
                    The Atl-10 is basically balancing their book of teams with the future loss of Temple. We should give more "credit" to the Pac-12.

What's really frustrating to me, is that the power teams in the Atl-10 is in their western area....Xavier, Dayton, maybe St Louis, and now, Butler. Personally, those four teams, WSU, CU, Ill St, another MVC team or 2, Murray St, and pick 1 or 2 from 4 Horizon teams make a much better basketball conference and that footprint isn't much larger than the Valley right now.

Edit: You might even attract DePaul and Marquette with the best of that lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                      The Atl-10 is basically balancing their book of teams with the future loss of Temple. We should give more "credit" to the Pac-12.

What's really frustrating to me, is that the power teams in the Atl-10 is in their western area....Xavier, Dayton, maybe St Louis, and now, Butler. Personally, those four teams, WSU, CU, Ill St, another MVC team or 2, Murray St, and pick 1 or 2 from 4 Horizon teams make a much better basketball conference and that footprint isn't much larger than the Valley right now.

Edit: You might even attract DePaul and Marquette with the best of that lineup.
                      Those last two wouldn't leave the BE. Creating a new conference isn't desireable though as I believe you have to wait 5 years or so before you get an autobid and you lose out on NCAA monies from current conference payouts.

I don't disagree that a conference of Creighton, Wichita, SLU, Bradley, Illinois State, Butler, Dayton, Xavier, Murray State, Milwaukee and Detroit wouldn't suck. Would also put you in some decent markets. And if you could pull off Marquette instead of Milwaukee even better.

The A10 loses Temple and Charlotte and has added Butler. The next addition will be interesting. VCU has taken a step back and is reevaluating things. Also hear they may start football up. Mason has come out and said they're not leaving the CAA. Also heard some rumors they may be looking into football. So the A10 may not make sense.

But the CAA may be losing ODU and potentially JMU and maybe even Delaware as those two schools may be looking at FBS as well.

Back to the A10, there's been some talk about UMass maybe having to make a decision in the not too distant future about where they'll be. The MAC could tell them they have to join for all sports or take their football program elsewhere. Would they downgrade to the MAC in basketball so football has a home? Or would they risk going independent or dropping back down to FCS in order to stay in the A10?

We can hope that the A10 looks west. And far enough west to add both Creighton and us. But you know Creighton would be chosen over us by them.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Here's a what if type of thing I mentioned in the NCAA forum....

With the WAC crumbling and other members looking to bolt, would the MVC be willing to, or should they even consider, adding New Mexico State for everything but football? They have few option remaining. I don't think the Belt wants them, but may offer a football only membership at some point. They're not getting into CUSA or the MWC because of UTEP and UNM. I don't think they could get into the Big West even if they wanted to. They're a solid basketball program, but not sure what else they have or how good they are at them.

I used to defend the 10 team format that we have and how great it is to decide a true conference champ, but I believe it's time to move to 12 for safety and potential strength. NMSU may be able to even improve their basketball standing being in a stronger conference like the MVC as opposed to the WAC. You could balance their addition with Milwaukee and I think it'd be ok. Both are at least upper half types of schools with more potential in a stronger conference. I'm wouldn't put them on par with Wichita or Creighton or even UNI right now, but I do think they could compete fairly quickly with the rest.

If certain teams would invest and reach their potential, I could see the MVC rivaling the A10. Creighton, Wichita, Illinois State and Bradley could all be strong players. UNI somehow does consistently well. I'm not sure what kind of potential ISUb has. I'm not sure SIU will ever get back to where they were and don't think Drake will ever really rise up. That leaves MSU. If you talk to them, they think taking chances on young assistants every four years will continue to be successful. I think it's going to bite them in the ass in the near future.

Anyway, a conference of Wichita State, Creighton, Bradley, Illinois State, New Mexico State, Milwaukee, Northern Iowa, Missouri State, Southern Illinois, Indiana State, Drake and Evansville doesn't look all that bad to me.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
                          Honestly, and in all fairness to Elgin and the MVC office, the problem is geography. There really isn't anybody in our footprint to add - they are already in better conferences or they aren't worth adding.

SLU has been approached, but they aren't interested. They prefer the A10 because it allows them to recruit east coast kids for undergraduate admissions. There is some speculation thrown out about Butler, but I've heard that they don't have (and haven't had) interest. To Butler, the MVC is just barely above a one bid league and it isn't worth leaving a one bid league unless you are going to a league that perennially gets multiple NCAA tourney bids.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum View Post
                            Honestly, and in all fairness to Elgin and the MVC office, the problem is geography. There really isn't anybody in our footprint to add - they are already in better conferences or they aren't worth adding.

SLU has been approached, but they aren't interested. They prefer the A10 because it allows them to recruit east coast kids for undergraduate admissions. There is some speculation thrown out about Butler, but I've heard that they don't have (and haven't had) interest. To Butler, the MVC is just barely above a one bid league and it isn't worth leaving a one bid league unless you are going to a league that perennially gets multiple NCAA tourney bids.
                            Hey, "I liked" a BJ post! :)

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

There's absolutely nothing wrong with expanding the footprint. In fact, if we're going to add, that's what we should be looking to do.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                              X