• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today in Shockers Sports History: January 21st

For the day, the Shockers are:
    16 and 11

Regular Season (Games of Interest):
    2020 – (#RV) WSU won at South Florida Tampa, Fla. 56-43. Tyson Etienne registered 13 points as Wichita State topped South Florida 56-43 on Tuesday night. Wichita State went nearly six minutes without a point to start the game, but rallied to take the halftime lead at 25-23 when Etienne made a long 3-pointer just before the buzzer. Dexter Dennis made a 3-pointer in transition to increase Wichita State's lead to 46-35, and cap a 10-0 run, as USF went scoreless for seven-plus minutes. Dennis had 12 points for Wichita State (16-3, 4-2 American Athletic Conference).

2017 – Beat Indiana State in Wichita 84-58. Shaquille Morris scored 24 points, Markis McDuffie scored 16, and Austin Reaves added 11 in Wichita State's 84-58 rout of Indiana State on Saturday. Conner Frankamp and McDuffie each had 3s, and Reaves had a pair of 3s as the Shockers built a 22-4 lead in the game's first 10 and a half minutes. Wichita State led 37-22 at halftime, and C.J. Keyser's layup extended Wichita State's margin to 30 points (80-50) with 4:04 left to play. Wichita State (17-4, 7-1 Missouri Valley) never trailed and has won 19 of its last 21 meetings against Indiana State (7-13, 1-7), including 10-straight. It's the fourth consecutive year the Shockers have swept Indiana State, and Wichita State now has 45 Missouri Valley Conference sweeps of its opponents in the last eight years.

2015 – (#14) WSU won at Missouri State in Springfield, Mo. 76-53. Wichita State's three-guard tandem was too much for Missouri State to handle. Ron Baker made five 3-pointers and finished with 15 points to lead the 14th-ranked Shockers to a 76-53 victory Wednesday night. Tekele Cotton and Fred VanVleet also scored 15 apiece for the Shockers (17-2, 7-0 Missouri Valley Conference), who have won 25 consecutive conference games dating to last year. VanVleet added seven assists against the Bears. The Shockers' 44-9 road record since 2010-2011 is the best in the nation. Nine teams have 40 or more road wins in the past five years.

2004 – Beat Creighton in Wichita 77-62. Jamar Howard scored 21 points to lead Wichita State to a 77-62 victory over Creighton (No. 24 ESPN/USA) on Wednesday. The Shockers made 10-of-12 free throws in the final 3:07 to help decide the game. Until then, Wichita State had shot just 4-of-11 from the free-throw line. Wichita State (11-6, 4-3 Missouri Valley Conference) bolted to a 39-22 lead at halftime and Creighton (13-2, 5-2), which lost for the second time in its last three games, played a game of catchup throughout the second half.

1993 – Beat Creighton in Wichita 68-47

1982 – Beat at West Texas State in Amarillo, Texas 73-72

1980 – Beat Creighton in Wichita 81-77 (OT)

1978 – Beat (#16) UNLV in Wichita 87-83

1954 – (#11) WSU won at Fort Hays St. in Hays 102-50

1920 – Won at Emporia State Emporia 41-6

My papa, myself and my good buddy Ross made the road trip to Emporia to see the ‘20 game. We had some trouble with the model T on the way to ‘E’ town and arrived late with the score already 30-zip; the Shockers were hitting on all cylinders that day. I told papa, “one day soon, I’ll be playing for the mighty Shockers.” Ross was a year older and at that point, was still testing the waters; old Phog-man and his ilk were in his ear.
    Y’all know the rest of the story.
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
      My papa, myself and my good buddy Ross made the road trip to Emporia to see the ‘20 game. We had some trouble with the model T on the way to ‘E’ town and arrived late with the score already 30-zip; the Shockers were hitting on all cylinders that day. I told papa, “one day soon, I’ll be playing for the mighty Shockers.” Ross was a year older and at that point, was still testing the waters; old Phog-man and his ilk were in his ear.
      Y’all know the rest of the story.
      Did you make that trip because you were both running moonshine and that trip happened to intersect with a delivery?
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

2004. WSU was picked to win the Valley and went to Christmas break with a solid 8-2 record…but stumbled afterwards, losing 4 of the next 6, capped by Indiana State’s anal exam on Randy Burns that the ref thought counted as a legit tie-up.

Mark told the team that they’d start a second season. Forget the past. Let’s just go forward from here. Probably cliche, but it kinda worked. The Shockers started it well by punking Creighton pretty good.

That 10-6 record would eventually turn into 20-9 headed to Arch Madness with a tie for second place in the Valley. A heartbreaking semifinal loss in STL (stop me if you’ve heard that one before) ended NCAA hopes, but a trip to the NIT and an epic showdown with Florida State showed that a sleeping giant was indeed awakening.
        78-65

Comment

Working...
        X