Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wichita State vs District of Columbia

Full game video less commercials

December 1981. Shockers won game 100-76 before a packed house. DC was a powerhouse D-II school who had Earl Jones, a former HS All American.

There.

Comment

That is just a great find shoxlax . That early charge call against Greg is fantastic. That might be an F2 the other way today. The ref (check out the Flying Nun collars on those guys) running it out to nearly the hash mark is fantastic as well. Don't let anyone tell you Higgy mugs for the camera these days....look at the attention circa '81 refs commanded.

It's amazing how fast that game moved with almost no dribbling. Look at the WSU offense vs the zone. Pass, pass, pass, pass....make the D move around until you find a hole. Very little dribbling. And that's packed in D with zero fear of the 3 (what's a 3??).

Also, check out Greg's footwork. You don't see that kind of coordination today from a big man that's just a freshman. At least not very often. You'd be hard pressed to find a college team with a better front court.

The game has changed so much. There's SO little contact allowed back then. Listen to the band playing during play. Check out old Wu and the skirt etc. What were media timeouts then....anyone remember? Did they even exist in 81?

Earl Jones got the press, but Michael Britt was the Xavier McDaniel of that team. Dude was tough as nails and one hell of a baller. I'd have taken him every day and twice on Sunday over Earl.

Comment

Anyone who said Gene was just a “roll out the ball” coach need to watch games from his era.

Comment

At about the 2-minute mark the PA announcer, during gameplay, says " . . . in the tunnel area. Grant's parents, please come get him."

Comment

Amazing how much better officiating has become. Watching games from this era is like another sport with different rules.

And I particularly mean charge calls. While I am a zealot in believing that any charge call with a secondary defender coming over is always bogus, even these guys make you think twice about taking the ball to the hoop.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
              Amazing how much better officiating has become. Watching games from this era is like another sport with different rules.

And I particularly mean charge calls. While I am a zealot in believing that any charge call with a secondary defender coming over is always bogus, even these guys make you think twice about taking the ball to the hoop.
              And how much worse players' acceptance of that officiating has become. I had almost forgotten the days where if you were whistled for a foul you raised your arm.

I also loved how quickly a defender grabbed a rebound and made the outlet pass to initiate the transition game. That was some fun-to-watch basketball!

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                Anyone who said Gene was just a “roll out the ball” coach need to watch games from his era.
                I made a post that could have been construed as that, but I never thought that he was limited to that.
                While he did have great team play in the half court, He also had the studs to just roll the ball out and he did just that in many games. His teams had great fast break skills which I'm positive he also coached on how to use the 3 lanes most effectively.

The 3 point shot and shot clock have changed the game more than anything until the new transfer portal and nil. All have been negative moves in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                  And how much worse players' acceptance of that officiating has become. I had almost forgotten the days where if you were whistled for a foul you raised your arm.
                  No joke. It's gotten so bad at every level, where very player is demonstrative after a call that doesn't go their way.
                  "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Just a few minutes in and some observations:

1. Mike Jones airball. Hahahahaha.
                    2. Dude. Aubrey could just stroke it.
                    3. We were loaded with studs. I forgot how good Cliff and AC were together.
                    4. Greg was large. So funny to think of him as a Shocker.
                    5. I love the crisp play.
                    6. The band leading low brass during gameplay is so funny. That is awesome!

Comment

I started to watch this, but then I realized I'm going to need something fun to watch around 6:30 or 7:00 tonight.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Getting embarrassed now.

Comment

Two missed dunks unbelievable!!

Comment

Working...
                          X