• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today in Shockers Sports History: January 19th

For the day, the Shockers are:
    11 and 14­

Regular Season (Games of Interest):
    2013 – Beat (#12) Creighton in Wichita 67-64. The numbers just didn't seem to add up for Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall. His tough, gritty Shockers were 4 of 23 from beyond the arc. They shot a shade under 39 percent from the field. They were 9 of 19 from the free throw line, missing three critical ones in the final minutes of the game. Somehow, the numbers still added up to a win. Carl Hall had 17 points and 13 rebounds, Malcolm Armstead hit two key free throws in the closing seconds and Wichita State held on to beat Doug McDermott and No. 12 Creighton 67-64 on Saturday to forge a tie atop the Missouri Valley Conference. "I can't really explain it," Marshall said. "I'll take it and move on." The loss gave the Jays their first loss in Missouri Valley Conference (MVC) play as Creighton fell to 17-2 overall and 6-1 in the MVC. Wichita State, meanwhile, moved to 17-2 and 6-1 in MVC action.

2010 – Beat (#20) Northern Iowa in Wichita 60-51. Wichita State (17-3, 6-2 Missouri Valley) went after Northern Iowa at both ends in a solid first half and made up for a 3-for-18 night from 3-point range with scrappiness and stingy perimeter defense. The Shockers are off to their best start since opening 18-3 in 2004-05 and haven't lost in 12 games at Charles Koch Arena. Hannah had eight of Wichita State's 15 assists -- on 22 field goals -- and Hatch, a 6-foot-4 guard, had eight rebounds to lead the Shockers in what felt like a must-win game. "If they win here and they're three games ahead and we still have to go to their place, it's basically over," Wichita State coach Gregg Marshall said. "That's what I told the team." Northern Iowa (16-2, 7-1) had a miserable first half at both ends to trail by 12 at halftime, made several runs in the second half but couldn't make it all the way back to spoil the second ranking in school history.

2006 – Won at Evansville in Evansville, Ind. 69-62. Sean Ogirri scored 20 points, including four game-clinching free throws, as Wichita State (15-4, 6-2 Missouri Valley) beat host Evansville (5-11, 1-7) Thursday night.

2002 – Beat Evansville in Wichita 81-63

1991 – Beat Southern Illinois in Wichita 68-65

1989 – Beat Indiana State in Wichita 97-63

1985 – Beat Drake in Wichita 81-65

1963 – (#8) WSU won 8 at Drake Des in Moines, Iowa 68-60

1922 – Won at Bethel in Newton 27-23

1907 – Beat Southwestern (KS) in Wichita 41-27

2013 Photo Montage of Creighton at Wichita State

2013 Post-Game Inside the Locker Room of Creighton at Wichita State

KAKE Sports Minute - Creighton at Wichita State - (01-19-13)

For me this, this had to be one of the best conference games to be part of that year.
    Last edited by WuShock Reaper; January 19, 2023, 06:46 AM. Reason: Added KAKE Sports Minute

Comment

Every time I see that game/those highlights, I'm convinced Wragge's shot at the end was going in. Dude could really shoot.

Forgot about 'Cy.

Comment

Watched the locker room talk by FHCGM. Man, I am so glad we woke up and joined the righteousness and got rid of that cancer. It's so clear he did nothing positive and was a scourge on not only Shocker basketball, but all of humanity. He hated his players, especially the blacks as well as all student athletes and only cared about himself, never the kids. He deserved to be run out of town. Everything and everybody is better with him gone.

(FYI if you have no feel, I'm being sarcastic. **** you FADDB and EVERYONE that thinks his decision was correct)

Comment

Trivia question: 2010. Day of UNI game. Earlier in that day, Gregg attended a very somber event in the Wichita community. Anyone remember what that was?
          78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
            Trivia question: 2010. Day of UNI game. Earlier in that day, Gregg attended a very somber event in the Wichita community. Anyone remember what that was?
            There were lots of events for Haiti. Was that where he was at?
            People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

There were lots of events for Haiti. Was that where he was at?
              Not in this case. It was something VERY local.
              78-65

Comment

Another hint: multiple references were made at the game that night, both before and after.
                78-65

Comment

Fue?
                  "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                    Fue?
                    Not sure what that means but no.

Relates to a very important community member at the time...
                    78-65

Comment

George Fahnestock passed away. His family was brought into the locker room and presented with the game ball.
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                        George Fahnestock passed away. His family was bright into the locker room and presented with the game ball.
                        That is correct. Funeral was that day. I had another pregame event that evening so I didn't arrive until right at tipoff, but I heard that there was a moment of silence for George. After the win, I remember Gregg helping Eric climb over the railing to go back to the locker room with the team.

Sully's game article and Lutz's column both mentioned George, though I could only see a couple lines from the Google search preview since I don't have an Eagle subscription.
                        78-65

Comment

Working...
                        X