• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today in Shockers Sports History: January 5th

For the day, the Shockers are:
    10 and 14

Regular Season (Games of Interest):
    2014 - (#8) WSU Beat Northern Iowa in Wichita 67-53. Fred VanVleet scored a season-high 22 points and No. 8 Wichita State beat Northern Iowa 67-53 on Sunday as the unbeaten Shockers extended their winning streak to 15 games. Cleanthony Early had 18 points for the Shockers (15-0, 2-0 Missouri Valley), who established a school record for consecutive wins and extended the best start in school history. The previous record winning streak of 14 games came in 1953-54.

2008 - Won at Bradley in Peoria, Ill. 80-73. P.J. Couisnard and Gal Mekel each had 19 points to lead Wichita State to an 80-73 win over Bradley on Saturday night.Phillip Thomasson added 15 points for Wichita State (8-6, 1-2 Missouri Valley), which came back from a 37-29 halftime deficit on 69 percent second-half shooting. Wichita State dominated the boards, outrebounding Bradley 38-22. The Shockers also held Bradley without a field goal for the last 3:08 of the game

1989 - Beat Iona in Wichita 78-58

1974 - Beat Drake in Wichita 70-66

1967 - (#10) WSU Beat Bradley in Wichita 83-69

1959 - Won at North Texas in Denton, Texas 85-78

1952 - Beat Detroit in Wichita 58-47

1946 - Won at Creighton in Omaha, Neb. 33-32

1943 - Won at Emporia St. in Emporia 42-35

1929 - Beat Northwestern Okla. in Wichita 43-27

2008....Phillip Thomasson...totally forgotten about him!

Comment

2008. Story was that Gregg ripped...and I mean RIPPED the team at halftime...and they responded well. Gregg later admitted that he knew that he couldn't go to that well too often because it loses its effectiveness.
      78-65

Comment

I wouldn’t mind going back to 08.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

There's really not much to say about the '29 Northwestern Oklahoma game. They came back to Wichita with big aspirations for an upset, but their big guy sat out with an ankle injury. Ross had his way with them early; he secured the opening tip to himself, took the pumpkin' to the house. Ross scored the first 15 points of the game and the 'WU' cruised to an easy victory.

Ross McBurney:
          Total points = 30
          Total rebounds = 15

Note: Ross nearly had a perfect game, but he 'clanked' one at the charity stripe.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
            2008. Story was that Gregg ripped...and I mean RIPPED the team at halftime...and they responded well. Gregg later admitted that he knew that he couldn't go to that well too often because it loses its effectiveness.
            Probably would have to define what 3G meant by "ripped" and what was considered by him to be "too often".

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Probably would have to define what 3G meant by "ripped"
              ripped

adjective

ˈript

1. slang : being under the influence of alcohol or drugs : HIGH, STONED

2 slang : having high muscle definition

3 slang : to pass gas

4 slang : to yell at someone loudly

I would go with Number 4.

Comment

I think he went with 3.

Comment

Working...
                X