• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today in Shockers Sports History: January 1st

For the day, the Shockers are:
    7 and 9

Regular Season (Games of Interest):
    2020 - (#24) WSU Beat East Carolina in Wichita 75-69. Jamarius Burton had 15 points for Wichita State while Tyson Etienne and Trey Wade added 11 each for the Shockers. Wichita State sophomore Dexter Dennis returned to the bench after taking a leave of absence from the team for personal reasons on Dec. 21. Dennis, a member of the American Athletic Conference's all-freshman team last season, had seen his playing time decline during the season, including a season-low 12 minutes against Oklahoma on Dec. 12.

2017 - Beat Bradley in Wichita 100-66. Shockers scored 38 points off turnovers. Landry Shamet and Darral Willis Jr. each scored 15 points to lead Wichita State to a 100-66 thrashing of Bradley on Sunday in a game where 16 Shockers got playing time. The game was never in doubt as Wichita State (12-3, 2-0) grabbed a 13-0 lead capped by back-to-back 3s by Markis McDuffie and Shamet.

2011 - Won at Bradley in Peoria, Ill. 79-63. David Kyles scored 13 points and Wichita State broke open a tight game in the second half to beat Bradley 79-63 Saturday night. Gabe Blair added 11 points and nine rebounds for the Shockers (11-2, 2-0 Missouri Valley), who won their sixth straight game. J.T. Durley scored 11 points and Ben Smith 10.

2010 - Beat Drake in Wichita 61-38. 3rd fewest points allowed all-time and held Drake to 14/61 (24%). Toure Murry scored 11 points and helped lead a stout defensive effort that sent Wichita State past Drake 61-38 on Friday night. Wichita State (12-2, 1-1 Missouri Valley) blocked nine shots and held Drake to 2-of-22 shooting from the 3-point line.

1948 - Won vs. Miami (Ohio) in Emporia 65-51

1940 - Won at Friends in Wichita (North HS) 38-34

1937 - Beat McPherson in Wichita 35-26

I remember the ‘37 game like it was yesterday. Ross and I were both playing for the McPherson based ‘Globe Oil Refining’ team and went to Henrion Hall to check out our Wheatshockers and bring in the new year. Ole Ross and I were local heroes and had played in the ‘36 Berlin Olympic Games (that story is for another day). We were yellin’ loud supporting our home boys and some of the McPherson folk didn’t take it too kindly. One ole boy called us ‘turncoats’ and said he was gunna put a whoopin’ on us after the game… him and his sidekick waited for us outside after the game. Words were exchanged and Ross gave him a quick knuckle sandwich and he went down like Frazier. I popped the other guy and he went down like a sack of potatoes; we hopped in my ‘30 Model A and got the heck out of doo-dah. ‘37 had started off with a bang.
    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

These were the days my friends...

On a more serious note, take the time to watch the video below and pay careful attention to the recorded comments from former Shocker coach Gene Johson. He coached 'WU' from about 1928-1933; ole Ross helped make him a house-hold name.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
      X