Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pre-Game Thread: at Kansas State (12/03/22)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
    As IB noted before the game, to win we must play well for 40 minutes.
    Very insightful of him! I don't think any coach ever thought that before HCIB.

Comment

• I’m not sure I’ve felt this way in 10 years, but we got flat out homered by the refs. That video review was clearly wrong and flipped the momentum of the game with a minute left. I just cannot believe they changed that call at that point in the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
        I’m not sure I’ve felt this way in 10 years, but we got flat out homered by the refs. That video review was clearly wrong and flipped the momentum of the game with a minute left. I just cannot believe they changed that call at that point in the game.
        I had no issue with that call or the officiating in general.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

We gave up 55 points. They didn't really burn us much at all, to be fair.
          No, that's true. But you have to admit, they had way more uncontested and easier looks than us. They were about as bad as we were on offense.

Comment

You won't start making shots unless and until you start taking good shots.

Still a poor ball handling team. But with Scott in more, it's a little better.

Walton in foul trouble then hurt....No Kenny (sick) no JP (also sick?) then no Walton.....yet we lead with a little over a minute and basically the entire game against a 6-1 P5 on the road?

Gotta give them credit for something, at least the effort.

Our end of possession/clock/halftime/end of game execution might be the worst all time in the game of basketball, any level.

Still have to applaud the effort. Dang it...make free throws and we're no worse than 6-2.
            Are you or anyone else in this quandary? If IB turns this around, maybe even just a little, does that just prolong the inevitable? Does anyone think IB is the correct long-term answer? Has anyone else resigned to accepting the L's because it hastens the change in coaching?

Comment

• 1 FG in the last 8 minutes won’t win you many games, even in the YMCA 40+ games.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I guess we’re going to have to agree to disagree on this. I can’t think of even one remotely questionable call that went out way the entire game.

Comment

• Shox held a P5 opponent to 55 points. And SN is blowing up with criticism of the D. I doubt we would have held KSU to 45 points by running more M2M.

There actually is an offense. I've watched some teams that run similar offenses and I can see it setting up, but it is executed so poorly that it has no chance to succeed. Screeners sort of casually move to the screen spot. Ball handlers miss the screener by 2 or 3 feet. the screener breaks away from the screen to soon and casually strolls toward the basket, leaving the ball handler double teamed and the play blown up.

Then a wing or PF sets a screen so the ball handler can reverse and get open moving AWAY from the basket! What? It seems like the screening game is being run to create mismatches rather than to get looks off the screens, but the weaknesses in how the screening sets are executed don't give the ball handler a clear path to get the ball to a player with a mismatch.

UGLY offense has been a characteristic of teams that stress D for a very long time. In SIU"S glory days, their offense consisted of getting the ball to a shooter with a few seconds on the shot clock and seeing if he could hit a shot. There is only so much practice time. Devoting most of it to D results in ugly O unless you have a team loaded with some real dawgs. VanVleet could break down a defense, Baker could slide to an open spot because of that breakdown and VanVleet would find him. We don't have an NBA All-Star PG or an NBA SG on the roster, so don't expect that.

The execution of the offense looks like they do walk throughs in practice to learn the sets and then run them that way in games.

Dribble, dribble, dribble, pass, dribble, dribble, jack a 3 existed before IB became the coach. High player turnover rates contribute to the offensive ineptness. When just about every player has to learn a new system and the emphasis is on learning D, the offense is going to be f****** UGLY.

If it's true that IB went out and recruited a bunch of shooters, then why would he try to convert them to defensive stoppers? If you're recruiting scorers, then perhaps you should try to outscore opponents. If you want to limit opponents scoring, then go out and recruit defenders.

Lots of signs of inexperience in recruiting and game-planning.
                  Last edited by Aargh; December 3, 2022, 11:22 PM.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

The calls were frustrating but I though they were good calls for the most part. Rojas charges were all definitely charges. I felt they overlooked a couple over the backs on Kstate though.

Comment

I did. 6 charges to zero. 2 reversed calls, both against us. No issue with the halftime call, but I can't believe the last one (not that it may have gone off CP, it may, but it wasn't indisputable needed to reverse, and I would have said the same thing if the original call was the other way). Also, swallowing the whistle caused at least one of the reversals.

We got jobbed, throughout the game. Still should have won, but we got jobbed.

Comment

I did. 6 charges to zero. 2 reversed calls, both against us. No issue with the halftime call, but I can't believe the last one (not that it may have gone off CP, it may, but it wasn't indisputable needed to reverse, and I would have said the same thing if the original call was the other way). Also, swallowing the whistle caused at least one of the reversals.

We got jobbed, throughout the game. Still should have won, but we got jobbed.
                        I thought call would stand until they showed that last angle from behind Craig where it pretty clearly showed that it went off of him last.
                        78-65

Comment

• They missed a lot of travels on K State. Both reviews were correct

Comment

• Bring me the knife!

Comment

• Was at a function and couldn't watch or listen. Checked the box score occasionally. We had 5 assists? the entire game? 16 TO's again. Damn

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

I thought call would stand until they showed that last angle from behind Craig where it pretty clearly showed that it went off of him last.
                                This is true. You could see the balls change in direction when Nowell tipped it then another slight change as it glanced CPs hand.

Comment

Working...
                                X