Pre-Game Thread: vs Missouri (11/29/22)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    CP is a very good basketball player. He’s just not what you want as a tight ball handler and facilitator at the PG. His handles are too loose, as 3G would say. Watching on TV you can see defenders constantly sneaking up behind him to swat the ball away or luring him into a double team. It’s exactly what i would do if I were game planning against him.
    So should we play two kids with little to no D1 experience 30-35 minutes at the PG positon? You think that would lead to better results? Right now Scott is playing 11 minutes per game so you don't really know how he would handle playing 32 minutes per game, but my guess is the results with respect to TO wouldn't be much better than Porter.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I put part of the blame on the players and coaching staff.

Back when Ross and I played at the "U", our teammates were supposed to yell "WOLF!" when someone was coming up from behind to swat the ball away. I believe the term is still used today, but I sit pretty low in the arena and haven't heard it used by CP's teammates or our couching staff. It drives me nuts when I'm the only person yelling "WOLF!" when CP is about to be 'picked'. I also get some funny looks from people around me.

From a simple Google search...

"Whenever our point guard has the basketball and is advancing up court, and one of our team realizes that there is someone coming from behind, we'll yell “Wolf”, and that is his cue to switch hands, or to look around his shoulders to realize there is a guy coming who is ready to knock the ball away."
      Maybe we are no longer the basketball team that says "WOLF" we are the basketball team that say "ekki-ekki-ekki-pitang-zoom-boing"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I put part of the blame on the players and coaching staff.

Back when Ross and I played at the "U", our teammates were supposed to yell "WOLF!" when someone was coming up from behind to swat the ball away. I believe the term is still used today, but I sit pretty low in the arena and haven't heard it used by CP's teammates or our couching staff. It drives me nuts when I'm the only person yelling "WOLF!" when CP is about to be 'picked'. I also get some funny looks from people around me.

From a simple Google search...

"Whenever our point guard has the basketball and is advancing up court, and one of our team realizes that there is someone coming from behind, we'll yell “Wolf”, and that is his cue to switch hands, or to look around his shoulders to realize there is a guy coming who is ready to knock the ball away."
        I agree. I can't understand why nobody is letting the guards know when there is a player coming from behind. Happens every game.
        I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
          The hate on Porter is freaking laughable. This dude has carried this team this season despite an incompetent coach. He has an efficiency rating of 18.25 which is really good. I see a lot of complaining about his ball handling. His A/TO ratio is 1.18 which while it could be better is not terrible considering the lack of structure and guidance on offense by the coaching staff. The guy is averaging 7.1 rebounds per game as a 6'2" gaurd for f*cks sake. Not to mention shooting 50% from FG and 38% from three. But wait, there's more, at 6'2" he is averaging 2.3 blocks per game. Unbelievable!! There is a lot of blame for the inconsistent play this season, but Porter should be the last guy on that list.
          Your love for Porter is equal to your disdain for the coach....

Comment

So should we play two kids with little to no D1 experience 30-35 minutes at the PG positon? You think that would lead to better results? Right now Scott is playing 11 minutes per game so you don't really know how he would handle playing 32 minutes per game, but my guess is the results with respect to TO wouldn't be much better than Porter.
            well, they are in D1 so either play them and let them get experience or play Porter at PG 35 min a game and have the same problem next year with no experienced PGs. Sorry to say it, but at this rate, we're not playing for an NCAA tourney invite.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

You're right. What's not to love about the player who is leading the team in every relevant statistical category? Forgive me for not being completely swallowed up by the one statistic he is not performing well in and focusing on the positive.

As for IB, what is there to love more? Maybe I am missing something.

Comment

well, they are in D1 so either play them and let them get experience or play Porter at PG 35 min a game and have the same problem next year with no experienced PGs. Sorry to say it, but at this rate, we're not playing for an NCAA tourney invite.
                So you are in favor of not playing Porter or playing him out of position? Based on your logic, the starting five should be: Scott, Flanagan, Ricks, Abidde, Ballard.

Comment

So you are in favor of not playing Porter or playing him out of position? Based on your logic, the starting five should be: Scott, Flanagan, Ricks, Abidde, Ballard.
                  wow, you need to just take a breath for a minute. I can see the smoke coming out of your keyboard.

Comment

What makes you think that might not be the outcome either way? Gotta love that portal.

Comment

wow, you need to just take a breath for a minute. I can see the smoke coming out of your keyboard.
                      No smoke here buddy. Doin just fine. Takes bigger things than basketball and a message board to really rile me up. Thank you for the concern though...

I will take your lack of a response on the starting five as confirmation that is what you think should happen.

Comment

No smoke here buddy. Doin just fine. Takes bigger things than basketball and a message board to really rile me up. Thank you for the concern though...

I will take your lack of a response on the starting five as confirmation that is what you think should happen.
                        Oh hey, you’re still here? Did I mention I like M&Ms? In your world that means I prefer M&Ms over steak for dinner.

Comment

Oh hey, you’re still here? Did I mention I like M&Ms? In your world that means I prefer M&Ms over steak for dinner.

Comment

• Can't believe Porter is even being discussed as an issue. Bottom line is we only have 3 maybe 4 decent players and a clueless coaching staff. Porter and Walton clearly standout over everyone else. The three centers combined translate to average overall. Okfafor is beginning to show promise. IMHO, that's about it unless another player or two start to perform well. Shooting guard and coaching are our biggest issues and the coaches are not suddenly going to become much better. Teams are going to stress stopping Porter with their best defenders and double teams. He needs help!

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

Molly definitely isn’t a players’ poster.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                                Can't believe Porter is even being discussed as an issue. Bottom line is we only have 3 maybe 4 decent players and a clueless coaching staff. Porter and Walton clearly standout over everyone else. The three centers combined translate to average overall. Okfafor is beginning to show promise. IMHO, that's about it unless another player or two start to perform well. Shooting guard and coaching are our biggest issues and the coaches are not suddenly going to become much better. Teams are going to stress stopping Porter with their best defenders and double teams. He needs help!

Comment

Working...
                                X