2022-23 Shocker Non-Conference Record Prediction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022-23 Shocker Non-Conference Record Prediction

You have had the opportunity to see the team at Shocker Madness, read about the Not-So-Secret Scrimmage, and see them in action during Exhibition play, so what do you think the our Shocker record will be at the end of the Non-Conference season?
    12 Wins, (Hater’s gonna hate!)
    4.17%
    11 Wins, (Look’n a lot better than I thought!)
    4.17%
    10 Wins, (Not to bad!)
    12.50%
    9 Wins, (I’ll take it!)
    29.17%
    8 Wins or less, (Ugh! This season won’t end soon enough.)
    50.00%

The poll is expired.

Kenpom Rankings - WSU #83

Most Likely Win
    #332-Central Arkansas
    #334-Alcorn State
    #200-Tarleton State
    #360-Miss Valley State
    #305-Texas Southern

Likely Win
    #167-Longwood

Toss-Up
    #96-Grand Canyon (Hall of Fame Classic)
    #126/#101-UNI/San Francisco (Hall of Fame Classic)

Likely Loss
    #41-Missouri
    #30-Oklahoma State

Most Likely Loss
    #95-Richmond
    #77-Kansas State

I went with 8 wins or less. I'm thinking we will have to win out in Kansas City just to make that number.

Comment

This poll should go up after a couple of televised games. Most of us haven't seen them based on the attendance so far. Making a prediction based on hearsay of sports writers and potential talent of players is foolish unless you have a proven coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post
        This poll should go up after a couple of televised games. Most of us haven't seen them based on the attendance so far. Making a prediction based on hearsay of sports writers and potential talent of players is foolish unless you have a proven coach.
        and IMO IB is the biggest mystery of all - - I do believe there are some nice pieces if he can coach them

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post
          But then someone might start a thread besides Reaper

Comment

I think 8 wins will be a struggle. Having 6 cupcakes helps, but outside of those it's going to be difficult to find wins.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I am measuring this team against the 2018-2019 team in terms of expectations. That team had similar turnover and took a while to gel, but eventually made the NIT semifinals. The 2018-2019 team finished the non-con at 7-5. The 2018-2019 non-con was harder than this year's schedule so I would say 8-9 wins should be the expectation.

Comment

Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                I am measuring this team against the 2018-2019 team in terms of expectations. That team had similar turnover and took a while to gel, but eventually made the NIT semifinals. The 2018-2019 team finished the non-con at 7-5. The 2018-2019 non-con was harder than this year's schedule so I would say 8-9 wins should be the expectation.
                That team had a hall of fame coach.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

That team had a hall of fame coach.
                  Indeed it did! However, I don't think the expectations should be lowered if we want to maintain a winning culture at the school. If HCIB can't show improvement over the course of the season then he probably isn't the coach for this job.

Comment

Based on a schedule including Mizzou, KState, OSU, and Richmond and knowing how the coach and team handled game time situations last season (dribble out shot clock and take late, distant 3 ball), adding the inexperience of new players and coaching experience, WSU has to win every other game besides these 4 just to reach 8 non conf wins.

My hope is that the team can play smart basketball, can treat most (not all) possessions like "they need this", play together and find a way to reach 9 non conference wins. If they do better than 9, then these things all happened, and that will be icing on the cake.

Going into the season, Shockers need a legitimate scorer (not just a threat) (15-20 pts), somebody to rebound consistently (6-7 per game), and a stingy active defense. With all the new faces I will certainly enjoy watching the early part of the season. My hope (since there are so many new faces) is this will be like Jason Perez's freshman year when things looked kind of, meh, and then he kind of took over leadership duties in a road game at KState.

Comment

My homer, overly optimistic prediction is 9 wins. We'll beat everyone we should and steal one of the other four (hopefully KSU). I would not be shocked if we actually end up at 6.

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
                        Kenpom Rankings - WSU #83

Most Likely Win
                        #332-Central Arkansas
                        #334-Alcorn State
                        #200-Tarleton State
                        #360-Miss Valley State
                        #305-Texas Southern

Likely Win
                        #167-Longwood

Toss-Up
                        #96-Grand Canyon (Hall of Fame Classic)
                        #126/#101-UNI/San Francisco (Hall of Fame Classic)

Likely Loss
                        #41-Missouri
                        #30-Oklahoma State

Most Likely Loss
                        #95-Richmond
                        #77-Kansas State

I went with 8 wins or less. I'm thinking we will have to win out in Kansas City just to make that number.
                        We will drop 2 of the gimme games, maybe more. We might win 1 or two of the others.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Comment

Not one word about addressing that poor practice effort by running the ever living snot out of them at any point this week. Maybe it just wasn't mentioned, but the coaching staff clearly didn't do anything to fix a problem that should have been obvious.

And the whole "we didn't take our opponent seriously" schtick should also result in the need for a few puke buckets at the start of the next practice. Leave that weak-ass mindset in high school. This team hasn't earned a damn thing to think they can coast against anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                              Not one word about addressing that poor practice effort by running the ever living snot out of them at any point this week. Maybe it just wasn't mentioned, but the coaching staff clearly didn't do anything to fix a problem that should have been obvious.

And the whole "we didn't take our opponent seriously" schtick should also result in the need for a few puke buckets at the start of the next practice. Leave that weak-ass mindset in high school. This team hasn't earned a damn thing to think they can coast against anyone.
                              Please....tell me how you really feel.

Comment

Working...
                              X