Ten Year Anniversary of Final Four Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ten Year Anniversary of Final Four Team

It will be interesting to see how the Athletic Director and the players/coaches handle this milestone. Will they even have an event? If they do, who will attend from that team and who will not? Could this begin the healing process or generate even more anger over the 2020 nightmare and decision?

This is an under the radar legacy builder for Saal, in my opinion.

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    It will be interesting to see how the Athletic Director and the players/coaches handle this milestone. Will they even have an event? If they do, who will attend from that team and who will not? Could this begin the healing process or generate even more anger over the 2020 nightmare and decision?

This is an under the radar legacy builder for Saal, in my opinion.
    They HAVE to have a reunion, right? They just have to. This was the biggest moment in Shocker Athletics history (MAYBE other than 1989 Omaha).

Let's say WuDrWu and I are having a beverage in February 2018, celebrating the big win at Cincinnati. Imagine I make a comment that it's too bad that Gregg Marshall will never win another NCAA Tournament game and that there will not be a ten-year reunion for the Final Four team. To which local psychiatric ward would Doc have immediately sent me?
    78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

They HAVE to have a reunion, right? They just have to. This was the biggest moment in Shocker Athletics history (MAYBE other than 1989 Omaha).

Let's say WuDrWu and I are having a beverage in February 2018, celebrating the big win at Cincinnati. Imagine I make a comment that it's too bad that Gregg Marshall will never win another NCAA Tournament game and that there will not be a ten-year reunion for the Final Four team. To which local psychiatric ward would Doc have immediately sent me?
      Fact is, WuShock16, you'd have said something like that, I would have personally hide-strapped your ass to a pine rail and sent you up the Monon Line.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Fact is, WuShock16, you'd have said something like that, I would have personally hide-strapped your ass to a pine rail and sent you up the Monon Line.
        Leave the ball, will you, Doc?
        Last edited by WuShock16; October 13, 2022, 11:25 AM.
        78-65

Comment

The two biggest things at play here, in my opinion:

1. Marshall's relationship with the university/athletic department
          2. Marshall's relationship with Fred (and to a lesser extent, Ron)

The wounds of 1 may be still fresh for Marshall, even with a new AD. The unknown of 2 could be a make or break aspect of a potential reunion. I don't think there was really a huge faction of that 2013 team that went public with any frustrations they might have had, as far as I know.

As far as dates go, we have an away game the Thursday of All-Star weekend, and don't play again until next Thursday at home. So Fred may be out in terms of making an in-person appearance unless there's some other random date that works for him.
          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Even without the ten-ton elephant in the room, I think next summer's TBT would make the most sense. There are probably a few guys playing all over the world...and the other coaches (Heiar, Jans, Turner) busy with their own teams, so summer would make the most sense.

I seem to remember Mark going to KU's 15yr reunion of the 1988 team in the fall, probably for the same reason. Not be able to be able to get everyone together during the actual season.
            78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
              Even without the ten-ton elephant in the room, I think next summer's TBT would make the most sense. There are probably a few guys playing all over the world...and the other coaches (Heiar, Jans, Turner) busy with their own teams, so summer would make the most sense.

I seem to remember Mark going to KU's 15yr reunion of the 1988 team in the fall, probably for the same reason. Not be able to be able to get everyone together during the actual season.
              That's a really good point.

Comment

That year I had cancer surgery. I took my son to the WSU Evansville game in Evansville (we live in Atlanta). I had a WSU banner with me. After the game somehow my son was able to get in the WSU locker room, told them his dad was recovering from cancer surgery and got them all to sigh the banner.

Comment

Originally posted by atlwsu View Post
                  That year I had cancer surgery. I took my son to the WSU Evansville game in Evansville (we live in Atlanta). I had a WSU banner with me. After the game somehow my son was able to get in the WSU locker room, told them his dad was recovering from cancer surgery and got them all to sigh the banner.
                  Cannot even begin to tell you how many people Gregg positively affected with stories like that.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Cannot even begin to tell you how many people Gregg positively affected with stories like that.
                    For all of his faults, Gregg knows what matters.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

For all of his faults, Gregg knows what matters.
                      Gregg will forever be one of the most fascinating people I have ever met. The man certainly had his faults, but when he is in a good frame of mind, you would be hard-pressed to find someone so engaging, generous, and downright hilarious.
                      78-65

Comment

I dragged my 4 year old son to Atlanta. He is now in high school and telling us he is 100% sure he wants to be a Shocker -- and no, I didn't beat it into him (even though I retain that as an option if Unmentionable U were to ever come up). Anyway his memory is fuzzy but he still lights up about seeing the FF team. That experience plus sitting through a bunch of home games in his early years is definitely a big reason he knows he is a future Shocker.

Heck, to this day, his cousin has two geckos named Ron and Fred. Turns out one is a chick so now it's Ronella, but you get the point.

P.S. It wouldn't hurt if they would quickly get a men's soccer team together before he graduates from high school too. hint hint
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

We were in the coaches club for 10 years. We absolutely loved traveling with the team and being around coach and his staff. Nothing but awesome memories.

Comment

Lots of well thought out posts here.

Comment

What I miss about that team (those teams) was that they worked their asses off.

Comment

Working...
                              X