No announcement yet.

CAA "uninvited" from bracketbusters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've never been a big fan of BB but did see some of the positives. Hell, even this year there was talk about a lack of quality teams at the top to pair up. Taking the CAA out of it just makes it that much worse. That's a conference that could be relied upon, for the most part, to provide a few teams with quality records/RPIs. Now it's us and everyone else. Mostly, a bunch of one bid leagues. Maybe one or two of those conferences MIGHT get a 2nd team in if their top team doesn't win the tournament. But that's awfully slim. The Horizon appears to be the next best conference involved now and they're losing Butler. They still have a couple of programs with potential. But it's no CAA.

Most likely, we're going to get a few teams we could schedule on our own, and a few we wouldn't want to schedule because they'll be a flash in the pan type of team that we've faced plenty of times already. There aren't a lot of positives left. Nobody is going to want to tune in to these games other than the fans of the said teams and maybe a few conference fans. It is one more game on ESPN2/U but I'm not sure it's worth it.

Props to the CAA for going out there and getting a good TV contract. One that will put them on TV and pay them decently. I've heard rumors that Fox is going to start an all sports channel to compete with ESPN. That's a network that may actually be able to do it too. We'll see how that develops, but a little competition would be great for everyone
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

ESPN should not be making this type of pairing if at all avoidable:

Team A, one who will not make the Dance unless they win their conference tourney, even if they win against ----- Team B, who would make the Dance, win or lose, against a like rated team, but could become a bubble team (or worse) with a loss.

If the Valley has 2 or 3 of the best teams in the BB, but for TV purposes, ESPN takes the #2 Valley team and places them against the 5th team on the other side of the bracket to get better TV match-ups with some other teams due to location and/or market. The choice of quality teams had diminished and they should use the RPIs for match-ups.

Comment

I want to see a CAA/MVC Challenge. Screw BracketBusters
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
          I've been wanting to see that set up for about 6 years now.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by tropicalshox View Post
            hope I'm assuming correctly that our return game with VCU is still on.
            Yes. Looking forward to seeing you guys in our house.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
              They're not mutually exclusive.
              Originally posted by BleacherReport
              Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                Something that I think that is funny is that everyone has the BCS mentality, it's just at different levels. BCS schools won't play mid's because they say it's not worth their time, no upside for them. Now a lot of the uppertier schools involved in bracketbusters say BB is becoming worthless with all the teams involved.

We all have BCS mentality, it's just at different levels. I'm guilty of it.

I was unhappy with BB when they expanded to 160+. If CAA is not involved, it makes it even more of a dumb thing for the MVC to be involved with. I'd like to see what Elgin does, but I'd imagine since the MVC and ESPN has just finally agreed to air games last season with the ESPN360 network, and increased ESPN/ESPN2, that Elgin won't do anything out of fear that ESPN will take a dump all over the MVC with retaliation from leaving their BB event.
                This is the very reason I don't like participating in the BB. Like it or not in today's college basketball world, there are these perceptions of BCS or power conferences, quasi-power conferences and then the one bid conferences.

When I was a kid the Valley was agruably the best conference in basketball, but everybody was a one bid conference in those days. When the ncaa starting allowing extra bids to conferences (I think around 1975), the Valley was one of those conferences that usually got an extra bid. The Valley at that time was one of just seven conferences that had a regional TV contract.

Slowly over the years, the Valley has dropped in perception but it has almost always received extra bids. Until the last 5 years when the Valley has received just one bid 4 of the last 5 years. The worst thing that can happen is to get perceived as a one bid conference. Being a one bid conference is a killer. It is a killer for recruiting, it is a killer for holding on to coaches and frankly it is a killer for revenue.

The BB has evolved into an event of one bid conferences (and the CAA leaving only makes it worse). As Kai aptly points out everyone has this BCS type mentality. We don't want to be tagged as one of the one bid conferences.

The Valley obviously can't become a BCS conference, but it needs to be doing everything it can to be viewed as a quasi-power conference like the A-10, C-USA, and the MWC. Participating in the BB does not help the Valley do that.

Comment

Originally posted by shocker3 View Post
                  The Valley obviously can't become a BCS conference, but it needs to be doing everything it can to be viewed as a quasi-power conference like the A-10, C-USA, and the MWC. Participating in the BB does not help the Valley do that.
                  I agree with your last sentence - merely participating in the event does NOT help the Valley. However, having the MVC dominate their bracketbuster opponents on national TV would!

Comment

Originally posted by Ixiah View Post
                    I agree with your last sentence - merely participating in the event does NOT help the Valley. However, having the MVC dominate their bracketbuster opponents on national TV would!
                    Boy, do I agree with that! We can complain about bracket busters all we want (I know I have), but truth be told the Valley hasn't exactly been a BB power, nor has WSU for that matter. It's about time we and this stupid conference step up and show that we don't belong in it.
                    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

The everything to lose nothing to gain mentality, apparently, is not exclusive to KU..... hhhmmm....
                      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

I think that we can schedule better teams now than we would ever be paired with in bracketbusters. In that situation we not only are we forced to take a lower rpi team than we are this season, but probably a lower rpi team the next season also as a follow up game.

I think it's time to exit in favor of a better match up.

Comment

Originally posted by jocoshock View Post
                          The everything to lose nothing to gain mentality, apparently, is not exclusive to KU..... hhhmmm....
                          I'll back off my BB opinion when ESPN runs the BB for what they claim it to be, joco. They need to get their greedy little mitts out of making the matchups. CU should have played St Mary's and WSU should have played Murray St, no ifs, ands, or buts. Otherwise, it is a tourney based on bias and I want no part of it. No way WSU should have been playing an away game against a team 35-40 RPI points lower. Just what BB purpose did that amount to. I'll tell you, money.

As for you who say "just win", that's exactly what's happening.....easy to say, harder to do. I was extremely glad to see our boys get PO'd about the matchup they were handed as it would not have been unusual for a team to be down about it, especially on the road, and not play well.

Question, joco? You have the option of working for a company or not. They tell you what their business mission is, the fairness they believe of in treating their employees, and you like what they have to say so you go to work for them. After several years, you continue to find they're not true to their stated business mission, they show bias in how they treat employees, run quality people off just because they can (CAA), all of which makes you feel you have everything to lose and nothing to gain. Do you put up with this or leave?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                            Question, joco? You have the option of working for a company or not. They tell you what their business mission is, the fairness they believe of in treating their employees, and you like what they have to say so you go to work for them. After several years, you continue to find they're not true to their stated business mission, they show bias in how they treat employees, run quality people off just because they can (CAA), all of which makes you feel you have everything to lose and nothing to gain. Do you put up with this or leave?
                            I'd kick a hole in the speaker, pull the plug, then I'd jet. (Name that tune)
                            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Working...
                            X