Draft Express Article On Stutz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft Express Article On Stutz

An interesting read on the prospects of Stutz in the NBA.

NBA Draft scouting reports, mock drafts, articles on NBA Draft Prospects. Extensive high school, NCAA and international NBA draft coverage.

It was written on March 22nd. It is pretty much the way I see it as well. He will get a chance and I imagine will play on a Summer league team this summer. From there, who knows. He will get a look though.
    Shocker fan since December 28th, 2005!

I think that is a very good, honest assessment of Garrett's strengths and weaknesses.

I think his weaknesses on the athleticism front will keep him out of the NBA at least for now. Several years down the road if he can develop more athleticism has he moves into his mid-20's who knows. But the atleticism in the NBA these days is pretty much off the charts.

In any case, Garrett should be able to play professionally overseas and see the world.

Comment

I would love to see Garrett develop a 10-14 foot short, mid-range shot to compliment his low post and on occasion 3-point game. Jack Sikma played a long time in the NBA with a simple turn-around shot with the ball never falling below his chin before he cocked it behind his head and launched it through the net. With his great touch I always scratched my head on why the coaching staff never helped Garrett develop that range of shot.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
        I would love to see Garrett develop a 10-14 foot short, mid-range shot to compliment his low post and on occasion 3-point game. Jack Sikma played a long time in the NBA with a simple turn-around shot with the ball never falling below his chin before he cocked it behind his head and launched it through the net. With his great touch I always scratched my head on why the coaching staff never helped Garrett develop that range of shot.
        Would have liked to have seen a shot like that at the end of a certain semifinal game in St. Louis.

Comment

Originally posted by SHOXMVC View Post
          Don't disagree with your analysis except that I don't know about the last sentence. Do you have reason to assume that the coaching staff never helped Garrett develop the medium shot? Have you spoken to someone that knows something, or do you not think that the coaching staff is weak and doesn't develop players? What facts do you have for this statement? One fact that we know is that he is an 80% + free throw shooter which is developing a mid range shot albeit a free shot. What other facts do we know?

Comment

IIRC correctly the shot Jack Sikma made his living of off was an 8-12 foot baseline step back shot. A little bit of a fall-away, but the step back was what got him open.

Comment

Pretty fair look at him, I think.

The lack of elevation mentioned has always been something that confused me with him. For a guy that was usually 4" taller than every player set to guard him, with I believe one or two exceptions in the Valley, he never really seemed to take advantage of it. He always played like the 6'8" post players he was usually up against, if not smaller. His size was a factor in rebounding, but almost never in his offensive game.

He'll get the NBA to look at him. Hard to have his size and even a decent game and not get a look. If he can keep learning, he might be an NBA role player. More likely I think he'll have a year or two in the NBA D-league and end up overseas. He'll still make plenty of money, though.

A strong shooting 7' should be very attractive upside-wise. I think he's got to get a lot more athletic to make the NBA, though.
              Originally posted by BleacherReport
              Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

Actually, one of the most effective shots the game has ever witnessed was Kareem's skyhook. I'm not sure anyone has really ever been ever to really duplicate that shot. I don't know if it is from a lack of trying or if it is just too tough to master. Kareem wasn't exactly a skywalker, but I don't ever remember seeing that skyhook blocked.

Comment

Watching Blake Griffin dunk...that's pretty hard to block as well.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                    Don't disagree with your analysis except that I don't know about the last sentence. Do you have reason to assume that the coaching staff never helped Garrett develop the medium shot? Have you spoken to someone that knows something, or do you not think that the coaching staff is weak and doesn't develop players? What facts do you have for this statement? One fact that we know is that he is an 80% + free throw shooter which is developing a mid range shot albeit a free shot. What other facts do we know?
                    First of all, I don't have to have personal, intimate or factual knowledge of shite to make a reasonable observation. He either backed an opponent to within 0-6 feet of the basket, or shot a 3 ball...nothing in between. At 7-feet tall nobody would block a shot from 10-14 feet. He has such a good touch, that type of shot would have made him harder to defend. I don't know if the staff tried to help him develop that shot...it doesn't look like it though, does it? Maybe big-man coaching isn't a strength of this staff. Remember HCGM made some statement when he recruited Garrett that if he didn't average 20 points a game by the time he was a senior, he didn't do his job (or something to that effect). Now, was he partially kidding...yes...but still...Believe it or not, not every coaching staff can be great at teaching every aspect of the game. Nobody is perfect, nor am I asking that to be the case with this staff. All-in-all, it is a good staff and I am glad we have them.

Comment

Paul Miller was good at the 15' jump shot but couldn't hit the 3 pt. shot. Everyone has weaknesses including Garrett. If he wants to play at a higher level, he'll have to continue to improve.

Comment

The analysis is right. Garrett often played like he was embarrassed to be 7 feet tall. What always frustrated me was that Garrett almost never showed a "beast mode". A mode where that special type of rage boils inside of you which you channel into a stretch of total domination of your opponent. The perfect case study was the two Creighton games. Garrett was soft in the first game and should have come into the second game with his hair on fire. We should have seen a double-double performance, complete with 3-4 dunks and several blocked shots. That's not what we got.
                        What I wanted to see at least once per game was a play that Creighton's GE had in the NCAA tournament against UNC. He had just gotten his shot blocked by Henson. The next time on offense he got the ball, backed Henson down, turned and threw down a one-handed jam right in Henson's face. That's the 'beast mode' of which I speak. I won't say he wasted his time at WSU, but it certainly wasn't what it could have been with a little "beast mode" mixed in.

Comment

Originally posted by ISASO View Post
                          The analysis is right. Garrett often played like he was embarrassed to be 7 feet tall. What always frustrated me was that Garrett almost never showed a "beast mode". A mode where that special type of rage boils inside of you which you channel into a stretch of total domination of your opponent. The perfect case study was the two Creighton games. Garrett was soft in the first game and should have come into the second game with his hair on fire. We should have seen a double-double performance, complete with 3-4 dunks and several blocked shots. That's not what we got.
                          What I wanted to see at least once per game was a play that Creighton's GE had in the NCAA tournament against UNC. He had just gotten his shot blocked by Henson. The next time on offense he got the ball, backed Henson down, turned and threw down a one-handed jam right in Henson's face. That's the 'beast mode' of which I speak. I won't say he wasted his time at WSU, but it certainly wasn't what it could have been with a little "beast mode" mixed in.
                          I agree with this for the most part. I think one thing to consider is a lot of guys grow several inches in a year (Garrett was one), and have to "adjust" to being that tall, and the responsibility it brings on the court. You're instantly expected to be a shot blocking nightmare in the paint, which I'd imagine is a whole new world for someone probably playing the 3-slot the year before. It's a shame we couldn't redshirt him, as it really seems he was catching on this season.

I mean, if you have a chance to see Paul Miller play now...he is a monster. Same with Rob somethingrather. Saw them come back after a year or two overseas and they were completely different players.

BTW: How you doin SASO? Haven't seen you in years. Still in the computer industry?

Comment

NBA-D league would be a great place for him to develop and get stronger and hopefully he could someday get a 10 day contract to prove himself in the league

Comment

Originally posted by RampageWSU View Post
                              I agree with this for the most part. I think one thing to consider is a lot of guys grow several inches in a year (Garrett was one), and have to "adjust" to being that tall, and the responsibility it brings on the court. You're instantly expected to be a shot blocking nightmare in the paint, which I'd imagine is a whole new world for someone probably playing the 3-slot the year before. It's a shame we couldn't redshirt him, as it really seems he was catching on this season
                              Not all players have to adjust when they have big growth spurts. Stutz was 6-5 as a high school junior and was 6-11 when he finished high school.

Anothony Davis of Kentucky was only 6-2 as a junior in high school, then had a growth spurt to what he is now (6'-10" or whatever it is). He didn't seem to have any problem "adjusting". Maybe he's an exception.

I think it had more to do with Stutz not be very athletic even as a 6-5 junior whereas Davis was athletic as a 6-2 junior.

Comment

Working...
                              X