We have good shooters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We have good shooters

No, really, we do. They may not be the best in the valley, but I'd bet if our top 5 shooters played a game of H-O-R-S-E with the top 5 from MSU, it would't be all that lopsided (not as lopsided as the outcome of the game anyway). The problem is entirely do to the lack of ability to run any kind of effecient offense. If we were getting the looks that MSU was getting, we'd have been knocking down a much higher percentage. The goal of the offense is to put your players in an area where they are comfortable shooting the ball and have some amount of space to get that shot off. The offense right now is just not creating that many open opportunities for our good shooters. Hopefully, they can figure this offense out at some point this year, but I am starting to wonder. This system obviously worked for him at Winthrop, but I guess we just don't have the 'type' of player needed to run coach M's particular style. And, I guess he isn't willing to try something different; something more suited for the players we do have this year.

I don't think it's Coach...I am confident I can shoot better than 50% from the free throw line.

I don't see the focus and intensity.

Not to mention many of our players look timid and afraid to attack.

Comment

Shooters

I think it is definitely a mental thing. They appear scared. Afraid to make a mistake. Possibly they are mentally beaten down. I don't know if we have great shooters, but we should have better shooting from everyone than what we have shown so far.

Comment

we just dont have one solid shooter. for the past 2 years we've had ogirri. pj gets hot for a while but then it dies down. I think if matt ever really does play again, he's still not a great guy for much else expect pounding it into the paint. Last night gal would waste a good 10 seconds before he got to the three point line, and try to find an open three first. We never hit the paint before 15 seconds, which rushes our shots, and then we end up getting fouled or we have to kick it out for a not so pretty lookin 3
        "Say it slowly and savor it..."
        Nothing worse than sCUm/sKUm

Comment

We continue to miss open shots in the flow of the offense. The problem is not the system.
          Wear your seatbelt.

Comment

Four months into your tenure you can't forsake your system. If you do, that sets you back going into next year. They have to learn it sometime - that's what this year is for. If the returnees are struggling to execute this time next year then you can consider a change. Not now.

The amazing thing is how consistently they miss the many good looks they get. When they get bad shots it's because they aren't executing the plays due to effort or mental lapse (or plain old good defense).

Marshall's first team at Winthrop won 12 straight games from mid-Jan into Feb. If he, as a young head coach at the time, can take a group of guys who won 7 games the previous season and deliver that kind of streak that doesn't say much for the players here if they fail to "get it" real quick.

Comment

I don't think we are taking as gooda shots as we did earlier.

Comment

Yeah, the shooting was putrid last night as it has been in previous games. But there is a major difference in the ability to make a 4-30 foot field goal and constantly missing open shots right under the basket.

There were at least five to seven times various Shocks had the ball and all they had to do was go up and put it in. But they hesitated, were timid, or dribbled, or just did not react fast enough, and the defense collapsed on them. The TV commentators even commented that the Shocker players needed to take it up hard when they were in that position. MSU players certainly did.

Unfortunately our poor shooting appears to be affecting our intensity in all aspects of the game, both offensively and defensively.

By no means am I indicating that anyone has given up, but we definitely need to get some spark and confidence back in our game.

Comment

Being a great 'practice' shooter does you no good if you can not bring it to game time. If they really can shoot good, then that tells me there is something inside of them emotionally that prevents them from finishing through the bucket, or our opponents are getting to them before they can be set to release a shot.

Gris and Ellis are way too timid on Offense, and they haven't really shown us any 'moves' that are good for scoring. Preadom is useless on Offense.
                  Durley can finish on Offense. Hatch has some Offensive moves. Gal can not do it all by himself, and PJ has been so erratic in games lately, besides he is not a 2, he doesn't shoot good enough consistently. He is much more effective as a 3, especially around the basket. (compare last year stats with this years).

We have to have more players creating than just Gal and PJ, and we have to have more players scoring consistently. Coach needs to work on Offensive plays. I have not been enamoured with the zone defense so much, it leaves the perimeter open too much, and teams will 3 shoot us to death, but we are not as fast, so I understand the reasoning, but at least
                  keep them at 22 feet from the basket around the perimeter.

Comment

Working...
                  X