Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It looks like MWC and CUSA might remain seperate conferences.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It looks like MWC and CUSA might remain seperate conferences.

The lawyers have narrowed down the options to two seperate plans. They had to figure out a way to maintain our exit fees from schools departing and keep our NCAA tourney credits.

There will be some kind of cooperation between the two leagues, but it's not sure in what form.

Anyways, it sounds like the MWC might be operating on our own in expansion with the idea of association to come later.

What I would love to see

MWC football ten

Hawaii
    Fresno
    Nevada
    UNLV
    CSU
    AFA
    Wyo
    UNM
    Utep
    Tulsa

MWC basketball twelve

Utah State(basketball only invite to offset Hawaii's football only status)
    Fresno(they might be going Big East so it could be SJSU instead)
    Nevada(already accepted invite, start next year)
    UNLV
    CSU
    AFA
    Wyo
    UNM
    Utep
    Tulsa
    Creighton
    Wichita State

I think something along these lines might be in the works, because the expansion is starting to hit basketball leagues like the WCC(Pacific is going that way) and the A-10(lots of rumors). It seems like other basketball leagues are getting ready for the MWC/CUSA to drop the bomb.

F the alliance though. Give me the above league and screw the alliance with CUSA.

So it is essentially go all the way to the east coast or go all the way to the west coast. Honestly, I think the difference in travel is probably negligible between the two options.

I can honestly say, I don't think I've ever been so frustrated about living in the middle of the country.

Comment

Trips to the West coast would be minimal though. Hawaii is football only so you would never have to worry about the cost of getting there.

Still, that basketball lineup would almost gaurantee a minimum of four NCAA tourney teams every year. The MWC had four this year in an eight team league.

Comment

Been discussed http://shockernet.net/forum/showthre...-Up-2.0/page16

Our best hope right now is that MWC football joins with CUSA and that the MWC becomes a nonfootball conference. Get to 12 teams and split it East and West to help with travel costs. As I mentioned in the other thread, something like the following could be attractive.

East:
        Wichita
        New Mexico
        Air Force
        Colorado State
        Wyoming
        UT-Arlington

West:
        UNLV
        Nevada
        Fresno
        San Diego State
        BYU
        Long Beach State

Other possibles would be Denver, UTEP (if they'd be allowed to keep football in CUSA), San Jose State and Utah State.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

The initial option would allow for 6 Teams in the MW to be a division with the Travel being fairly minimal really. WSU, Tulsa, CU, CSU, AFA are all quite close and Utep isnt that far, now is Wyoming if it came to that. Would be a great league to see come to fruition, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Best thing WSU and CU have going for themselves is eachother. Neither w/fb and both with solid athletics otherwise. Package deal would make sense hopefully.
          -Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind-

GO SHOX!

Comment

I'm convinced that CU will end up in the A10 in the not too distant future. We don't have a lot of options in the Midwest or to the East.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by Slalomshocker View Post
              The initial option would allow for 6 Teams in the MW to be a division with the Travel being fairly minimal really. WSU, Tulsa, CU, CSU, AFA are all quite close and Utep isnt that far, now is Wyoming if it came to that. Would be a great league to see come to fruition, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Best thing WSU and CU have going for themselves is eachother. Neither w/fb and both with solid athletics otherwise. Package deal would make sense hopefully.
              Hate to say it, but Colorado St, Air Force and UTEP aren't really much more exciting than the other MVC schools we play now. Tulsa is nice because they are closer, but the program has really fallen off since leaving the MVC.

Most importantly however, all of those schools have FB, which means there will be a certain amount of instability within the league as the FB members will always be looking for options to move up.

I'm also a bit wary as to how much decision making power basketball only schools will have in such a conference when everyone knows that Fb $ drives the bus....

Comment

I like stillcj's plan. That would definitely be an upgrade for the basketball programs. Plus baseball too, I'm assuming. Plus that would give WSU an option for a league for a football team IF they were to bring it back.

Comment

That leaves the possibility of SDSU and BYU returning for basketball or even the possibility of taking the best of the WCC down the road.

If CUSA decides to align with us after our expansion, and it sounds like that's still in the works, then they have any number of MVC teams they could add on their side.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleJayAlum View Post
                    Hate to say it, but Colorado St, Air Force and UTEP aren't really much more exciting than the other MVC schools we play now. Tulsa is nice because they are closer, but the program has really fallen off since leaving the MVC.

Most importantly however, all of those schools have FB, which means there will be a certain amount of instability within the league as the FB members will always be looking for options to move up.

I'm also a bit wary as to how much decision making power basketball only schools will have in such a conference when everyone knows that Fb $ drives the bus....
                    The roadie to C Springs and Ft Collins is appealing. Hell Paso, not so much.

And we don't drive buses, we fly charter. Double Jay, have your RSVP'd to 3G's Golf Tourney and Auction yet? I kid.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                      I like stillcj's plan. That would definitely be an upgrade for the basketball programs. Plus baseball too, I'm assuming. Plus that would give WSU an option for a league for a football team IF they were to bring it back.
                      Tulsa won't go back West. UTEP maybe.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by StillCJ View Post
                        The lawyers have narrowed down the options to two seperate plans. They had to figure out a way to maintain our exit fees from schools departing and keep our NCAA tourney credits.

There will be some kind of cooperation between the two leagues, but it's not sure in what form.

Anyways, it sounds like the MWC might be operating on our own in expansion with the idea of association to come later.

What I would love to see

MWC football ten

Hawaii
                        Fresno
                        Nevada
                        UNLV
                        CSU
                        AFA
                        Wyo
                        UNM
                        Utep
                        Tulsa

MWC basketball twelve

Utah State(basketball only invite to offset Hawaii's football only status)
                        Fresno(they might be going Big East so it could be SJSU instead)
                        Nevada(already accepted invite, start next year)
                        UNLV
                        CSU
                        AFA
                        Wyo
                        UNM
                        Utep
                        Tulsa
                        Creighton
                        Wichita State

I think something along these lines might be in the works, because the expansion is starting to hit basketball leagues like the WCC(Pacific is going that way) and the A-10(lots of rumors). It seems like other basketball leagues are getting ready for the MWC/CUSA to drop the bomb.

F the alliance though. Give me the above league and screw the alliance with CUSA.
                        Check your PM, Still

Comment

Tulsa would be tricky. It all depends on how this CUSA association works. CUSA is already planning on sending Utep back west. I can't imagine they would be happy about losing Tulsa as well. There would have to be some kind of deal to send them over to the West.

I could see Tulsa being interested though, especially with CU and WSU involved. Our basketball would be light years better than anything CUSA could offer and our football league houses every non-bcs team to ever make a BCS game.

Even without Tulsa, you just plug Utah State in, and it's a far better basketball league then either conference has now.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
                            Double Jay, have your RSVP'd to 3G's Golf Tourney and Auction yet? I kid.
                            I hear its fixed. ;)

Comment

Dear god we have got to hurry the hell up and hire a President.

Comment

Working...
                              X