Jaykwon Walton is a Shocker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

"And dieing in your beds many years from now would you be willing to come back here for 1 chance, just 1 chance to tell our enemies you can take away our lives, but you can never take away our freedom. " GO SHOCKS

Comment

After years of waiting, Jaykwon Walton ready to fulfill potential at Wichita State - Wichita Eagle
      After years of waiting, Jaykwon Walton ready to fulfill potential at Wichita State (aol.com)
      TAYLOR ELDRIDGE
      October 13, 2022, 6:00 AM

"It’s been more than three years since Jaykwon Walton has been able to play a full season of basketball. Injuries derailed his time at Georgia, where he signed out of high school as a top-100 recruit in the 2019 class. He planned to transfer to Mississippi State last season, but then the head coach was fired and Walton instead spent half a season at Shelton State, a community college in Tuscaloosa, Alabama....

It’s not hard to imagine Walton being an X-Factor for the Shockers’ success this season. If WSU is to surprise outsiders, Walton reaching his potential as a mismatch nightmare for defenses and filling up the stat sheet at small forward would be a good start. But he knows before any of that can happen, Walton has to earn his playing time with his defense. “It’s all about stops,” Walton said. “I want to get stops every time. I take pride in my defense. I mean, who wants to be scored on? I definitely don’t. So I take a lot of pride with how I guard and I want to help my teammates out on the floor.”

Comment

Comment

I could see Walton being a Lan Man Shamet type player. Even though I don't see Craig Porter losing the PG spot like Frankamp did, moving Shams to PG was what got that team rolling. Those extra inches to see over the D is why Shamet was so plus at feeding Shaq and the crew of bigs down low.
          IIRC, Shamet was pretty Aces at a well timed backdoor cut as well.
          If nothin else, having a 2nd ball handler, and one who can make a team pay on a fast break, I can def see Porter and Walto making the Memphis frenzy D, and even the Houston get up in ur grill defenses have to back off a jive or 2.

And now you know,
          The rest of the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocknroll33 View Post
            I could see Walton being a Lan Man Shamet type player. Even though I don't see Craig Porter losing the PG spot like Frankamp did, moving Shams to PG was what got that team rolling. Those extra inches to see over the D is why Shamet was so plus at feeding Shaq and the crew of bigs down low.
            IIRC, Shamet was pretty Aces at a well timed backdoor cut as well.
            If nothin else, having a 2nd ball handler, and one who can make a team pay on a fast break, I can def see Porter and Walto making the Memphis frenzy D, and even the Houston get up in ur grill defenses have to back off a jive or 2.

And now you know,
            The rest of the story.
            I personally think Frankamp was handcuffed in that offense. Had we had Shamet as the 2 guard with Frankamp being given more freedom to play his game, we may have had even more success. That team with Shaq in the post and McDuffie at the 3/4 could have been really special.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post

I personally think Frankamp was handcuffed in that offense. Had we had Shamet as the 2 guard with Frankamp being given more freedom to play his game, we may have had even more success. That team with Shaq in the post and McDuffie at the 3/4 could have been really special.
              That team could have been special if they chose to play defense.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Shaq would have been special if he woulda had Fred/Ron/Evan/TC work ethic. Probably would be the team the AAC thought they were getting, too.
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

1st team all conference was pretty good, I thought. Probably his ceiling.

Comment

Yeah, the offense ranked something like 4th nationally. I do agree with the point that it held back Conner a little but I think that was for the best...nothing against him, but it would have hurt the offense overall to have him as the focal point instead of Shamet.
                    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

That team was still Really Special,

Except for these two ratings.
                      >Defensive Rating of 139th, and
                      >losing to 13th Seeded Marshall.

Have we ever been 7th in our Offensive Rating before or after? Not our best seed, but really high. We were also within a last second shot of being AAC Champs.

Record: 25-8 (14-4, 2nd in AAC)

Coach: Gregg Marshall

PS/G: 82.8 (16th of 351)

PA/G: 71.6 (152nd of 351)

SRS: 16.58 (20th of 351)

SOS: 5.46 (74th of 351)

ORtg: 117.3 (7th of 351)

DRtg: 101.5 (139th of 351)

Preseason Odds: Championship +2700

NCAA Tournament: (#4 seed in East)
                      Lost East First Round (81-75) versus #13 Marshall

But at least we didn't have a Rebounding rating of 250 out of 351 like we've had for the past two years.

Comment

Frankamp and Morris had too many "migraines" for that team to be special. They were good, should have been better. And Morris should be making serious money playing ball, but again, "migraines."

Comment

Originally posted by mattdalt View Post

Frankamp and Morris had too many "migraines" for that team to be special. They were good, should have been better. And Morris should be making serious money playing ball, but again, "migraines."
                          It's also everyones elses fault that Shaq didn't have the success he should have...

Comment

Working...
                          X