Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, I'm done for now...

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

I just wanted to pose a few questions and then play devil's advocate for a while... ;-) ;-) ;-)

I'm of course a huge HCGM fan but am a little mystified by the current situation. Someone who walked into a dead program and turned it around in one season should at least be able to make us competitive with the quality of players we have... I guess it's better to ask these kind of questions after the entire season is over.

T

...8)

STFU

Royal - can you delete these dumb@@@ threads

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound
      STFU

Why? Isn't this what message boards are all about?

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
        Originally posted by NCAABound
        STFU

Why? Isn't this what message boards are all about?
        NCAABound is just a little upset. I was having some fun with him...

T

...8)

Comment

Oooo....you got me there Cold

Comment

I'm starting to think the Big South wasn't anywhere near as competitive as the MVC--even in a 'down' year. At least, that first year Marshall was at Winthrop anyway. Who knows for sure, but it sure looks that way.

Comment

What was the excuse for the second half of last season? Was it Turgeon's?

It's his first year. Actually, it hasn't even been a year yet, barely half a season. It takes time to adjust with a lot of new players and new styles all happening at the same time.

Surely you don't expect us to consistently be in the Top 10 every year at this point, do you?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by shockar25
                I'm starting to think the Big South wasn't anywhere near as competitive as the MVC--even in a 'down' year. At least, that first year Marshall was at Winthrop anyway. Who knows for sure, but it sure looks that way.
                Yeah, I even said that myself last week. Too many good coaches in this league.. well, hmmm... we lost to Burrah, Illinois State's first year coach, and Drake's new coach... :(

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever

It's his first year. Actually, it hasn't even been a year yet, barely half a season. It takes time to adjust with a lot of new players and new styles all happening at the same time.

Surely you don't expect us to consistently be in the Top 10 every year at this point, do you?
                  Just competitive.. merely competitive. We weren't competitive tonight and we weren't playing Duke. The cupboard was not bare when we started this season.

T

...8)

Comment

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded

Just competitive.. merely competitive. We weren't competitive tonight and we weren't playing Duke. The cupboard was not bare when we started this season.

T

...8)
                    I thought you were done? :lol: Seems like you've only just begun!
                    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
                    -- Yogi Berra

Comment

Any coincidence we got swept in 3 games by Burrah last year.. and it was with a different coach?

Any coincidence that Drake and Illinois State are both unbeaten in conference and are arguably the two best in the Valley right now? (BTW, we also lost to both teams last year as well).

So what's the difference this year other than we actually have a coach with a bit better of excuse this year.. (first year, transition year, new players, injuries, etc.)..?
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by BA2929

T

...8)
                        I thought you were done? :lol: Seems like you've only just begun!
                        I'm sorry. I'm just soo nervous after this national performance...

Okay, I will leave the site now!

Everybody can :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

l8r

T

...8)

Comment

T

...8)
                          We've been competitive in 3 of our first 4 conference games this year. I remember last year being uncompetitive in quite a few, and even a couple during our sweet 16 year.

Again, it happens. But this year, our coach has a few more better excuses to use than our previous coach had.

It's called transition. I thought we expected to be a play-in team this year going in?
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Whoa, whoa, everybody. Let's chill out here.

I see where Cold is coming from, but what has to be realized is that there is one, precisely ONE problem with this team right now: SHOOTING. We're getting open looks, but for whatever reason we just can't knock them down right now. I'm sure that by this point everybody on the team is nervous about their shooting, and as any shooter knows, thinking about shooting is THE WORST thing you can do; as soon as you think about it, you start bricking.

In the areas of defense, toughness, and even low-post play (which is a big surprise) we're playing pretty darn well, but when you're shooting 28% game after game after game .... it's got to be frustrating to be playing so well and still lose.

(Note: I didn't see any of tonight's game, and only heard the first half of the first half on radio, but to that point it sounded like we were playing well - as always - but just were 2-20 from the field - as always.)

According to all reports, the guys have been doing little else but practicing shooting for the last week, but they might be working on a collective mental block right now.

So, to speak directly to the question, Cold, WSU is playing very well, but happens to be caught in the most bizarre kind of shooting drought. Even players we KNOW can shoot are slumping. Also, with all due respect to our Winthrop fans reading, doing a one-season turn-around in the Big South is probably a little easier that doing the same thing in the MVC (especially when this happens to be the year that the ISUs and Drake decide to play out of their minds). Someone else on SN posted it before: Coach can't shoot 3's from the box.

Let's also look at the scenario where the Shox break their shooting slump and get a roll going heading into the MVC tourney. I'd much rather have a Marshall-coached team in the conference tourney than the previous administration.

Let's all cool out, folks. Save your anger for Dana-Boy this weekend. It doesn't matter what has or hasn't happened to this point: Saturday is CREIGHTON. Bring your best Pig Sooey chant and bring it often.

:clap: :wsu_posters: :yahoo: :clap:

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyShock
                              Whoa, whoa, everybody. Let's chill out here.

I see where Cold is coming from, but what has to be realized is that there is one, precisely ONE problem with this team right now: SHOOTING. We're getting open looks, but for whatever reason we just can't knock them down right now. I'm sure that by this point everybody on the team is nervous about their shooting, and as any shooter knows, thinking about shooting is THE WORST thing you can do; as soon as you think about it, you start bricking.

In the areas of defense, toughness, and even low-post play (which is a big surprise) we're playing pretty darn well, but when you're shooting 28% game after game after game .... it's got to be frustrating to be playing so well and still lose.

(Note: I didn't see any of tonight's game, and only heard the first half of the first half on radio, but to that point it sounded like we were playing well - as always - but just were 2-20 from the field - as always.)

According to all reports, the guys have been doing little else but practicing shooting for the last week, but they might be working on a collective mental block right now.

So, to speak directly to the question, Cold, WSU is playing very well, but happens to be caught in the most bizarre kind of shooting drought. Even players we KNOW can shoot are slumping. Also, with all due respect to our Winthrop fans reading, doing a one-season turn-around in the Big South is probably a little easier that doing the same thing in the MVC (especially when this happens to be the year that the ISUs and Drake decide to play out of their minds). Someone else on SN posted it before: Coach can't shoot 3's from the box.

Let's also look at the scenario where the Shox break their shooting slump and get a roll going heading into the MVC tourney. I'd much rather have a Marshall-coached team in the conference tourney than the previous administration.

Let's all cool out, folks. Save your anger for Dana-Boy this weekend. It doesn't matter what has or hasn't happened to this point: Saturday is CREIGHTON. Bring your best Pig Sooey chant and bring it often.

:clap: :wsu_posters: :yahoo: :clap:
                              no problem with the discussion...just the way some people ride in on their white horse acting like they know all the answers!

Comment

Working...
                              X