2022-23 National Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022-23 National Rankings

Arkansas Razorbacks are No. 1 in Way-Too-Early Top 25 college basketball rankings for 2022-23 - ESPN

Jeff Borzello, Staff Writer
    Apr 4, 2022

"After an NCAA tournament that featured a 15-seed in the Elite Eight, a Duke-North Carolina rivalry game with unprecedented stakes, the final game of Mike Krzyzewski's legendary career and as hyped a Final Four as we'll ever see, we all need a minute to catch our breath and recharge.

Done? OK, good. Hope you're refreshed, because it's already time to look ahead to the 2022-23 college basketball season...

Think that's it for now -- there are only 219 days until the season tips off, so it's time to dive in!

2. Houston Cougars
    Houston came one step short of back-to-back Final Fours, but it's clear Kelvin Sampson has found something that works and has turned the Cougars into one of the most consistently bankable teams over the past several seasons. Jamal Shead had a terrific NCAA tournament, and Marcus Sasser and Tramon Mark should be back healthy after having their seasons cut short due to injury. Jarace Walker adds some serious talent to Houston's frontcourt, and I'm of the opinion that fellow incoming freshman Terrance Arceneaux is one of the best pure scorers in the 2022 class. This team will have more scoring options than ever to go with its usual elite defensive and offensive rebounding prowess. Also of potential significance: The 2023 Final Four will be held at Houston's NRG Stadium.

Projected starting lineup:

Jamal Shead (10.0 PPG)
    Marcus Sasser (17.7 PPG)
    Tramon Mark (10.1 PPG)
    Jarace Walker (No. 9 in ESPN 100)
    J'Wan Roberts (3.2 PPG)

2022-23 T-Rank College Basketball Projections (all 353 teams)

07/17/22

Team - Rank
    Houston - #6
    Memphis - #36
    Tulane - #42
    Cincinnati - #52
    Temple - #63
    Central Florida - #99
    South Florida - #106
    Wichita State - #113
    SMU - #142
    Tulsa - #145
    East Carolina - #194

Comment

Is SMU really expected to be that bad in relation to the rest of the conference?
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        Is SMU really expected to be that bad in relation to the rest of the conference?
        They have a talented roster but a lot of the players don't have the college production (Bart Torvik is all about production once a guy has played a year in college) to warrant a high ranking. Could be a team to watch if they play to their potential.

Comment

love me some ron hunter...

Comment

Originally posted by abdullah_sharif View Post
            love me some ron hunter...
            Good catch. My eye skipped right over them. Good for him!
            Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

2022-2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball: Top-60 teams preseason rankings, No. 31-60 - SB Nation
              2022-2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball: Top-60 teams preseason rankings, No. 31-60 (msn.com)
              Sam Tyler - TillTheBitterEnd
              08/09/2211:00am cst

"...Here are the current depth charts and rankings of the top-60 NCAA men’s basketball teams for the 2022-2023 season:
              (Disclaimer: I may have completely forgotten, omitted or mis-depth-charted various players. Please DO let me know about factual or obvious omissions and errors both with regard to individual players and teams.)

I view this as a fun collective exercise: please offer your thoughts and critiques and do not be surprised if I change my rankings and depth charts based on your excellent input!

We will start with the bottom half of the top-60 rankings and tackle the top-30 teams in an upcoming separate post. Following each team, I provide my thoughts, questions and comments on that particular school.

Part One: No. 31-60

35. Memphis
              1 - Kendric Davis, Elijah McCadden
              2 - Emmanuel Akot, Jayden Hardaway
              3 - Johnathan Lawson, Keonte Kennedy
              4 - DeAndre Williams, Chandler Lawson
              5 - Malcolm Dandridge, Kaodirichi Akobundu-Ehiogu

Memphis should finish second in the American Athletic Conference. Gone are the headaches of the last two seasons. All that remains on Penny Hardaway’s team are team-first guys, and a couple of transfers (in Davis and Akot), who should solidify the offense. This team will not have the flash of the five-star players that Hardaway has courted the last few years, but it should build on the strong end to last season and actually gel and produce far better than it has overall in the past two seasons. Davis is a high-usage, efficient star, and Akot is an efficient secondary scorer and creator, with an NBA frame and athleticism. Kennedy, McCadden and the Lawson brothers should provide a good dose of athleticism and length, while Dandridge and Williams play lock-down defense in the post. Williams and Davis will drive the bus, and the rest will follow. This team will be tough and fun. Second-favorite in the AAC, and a strong bet to move up the rankings.

43. Oklahoma State
              1 - Avery Anderson, John-Michael Wright
              2 - Rondel Walker, Chris Harris, Caleb Asberry
              3 - Bryce Thompson, Russell Harrison, Quion Williams
              4 - Tyreek Smith, Woody Newton
              5 - Moussa Cissé, Kalib Boone, Bernard Kouma

A year after getting a four-seed in the NCAA Tournament (before losing in the second round in 2021), Oklahoma State was abysmal last season. Finishing 15-15, the Cowboys lost seven of those games either in overtime or by two possessions or fewer. In other words, if this team had a closer or a way to get easier buckets in crunch time, then it might have finished inside the top-25. Anderson, Walker, Thompson, Cissé, Smith, Boone and Newton all return to the same roles they had last season, and Oklahoma State adds in a potentially significant scoring punch in the form of Wright, who served as High Point’s gunner for the last few seasons — I expect his efficiency to improve with more attention on others, and that blending of scoring ability with the Cowboys’ returners should combine to benefit all parties. If Anderson, Walker and Thompson can get north of 35 percent from three-point range, then this team will be cooking with grease

48. Cincinnati
              1 - Rob Phinisee, Mika Adams-Woods
              2 - David DeJulius, John Newman
              3 - Landers Nolley, Jeremiah Davenport, Daniel Skillings
              4 - Jarrett Hensley, Josh Reed
              5 - Kalu Ezikpe, Viktor Lakhin, Ody Oguama, Sage Tolentino

In the chase-group in the American Athletic Conference, Cincinnati and Memphis are the clear second-tier teams behind Houston. Cincinnati is behind Memphis because despite the talent-ceiling being high on offense (with the addition of Nolley), the defenses cannot compare. Nolley, DeJulius, Phinisee, Adams-Woods and Newman should form a solid scoring group, but the front-court looks like a major area of concern.

51. Tulane
              1 - Jalen Cook
              2 - DeVon Baker, Sion James, Tre Williams
              3 - Jaylen Forbes, Jadan Coleman, Collin Holloway
              4 - Tylan Pope, RJ McGee, Oton Jankovic
              5 - Kevin Cross, Nobal Days, Percy Daniels

Tulane returns its entire nine-man rotation from a team that finished in the top-100 of Kenpom’s ratings. Ron Hunter’s Green Wave lost 15 games, but nine of those were by two possessions or fewer. Almost every guy on the team can shoot or score on offense, but the lack of size (only two guys at 6-foot-8 or 6-foot-9 returning) has to be solved on defense. The answer is an even-higher-pressure/more-steals defense, and a lot of really fun-to-watch basketball. This team is a safe bet to exceed expectations in the American Athletic Conference and trend toward the NCAA Tournament bubble. This is a group that will deserve an at-large bid over an eighth-place Power Five conference finisher. I am pulling for this team. Top-four AAC team.

Comment

Thank you Coach Marshall:

Comment

And more...

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                    And more...

Houston, we have a problem.
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

These kinds of accolades will be coming to a quick halt very soon. After which, who knows how long it will be before we return (if ever).

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                        These kinds of accolades will be coming to a quick halt very soon. After which, who knows how long it will be before we return (if ever).
                        I feel a little more optimistic each time I read or listen to new ADKS; he sure 'appears' to be the 'real deal' and I have confidence he'll make the necessary decisions if/when they are needed.
                        I don't think mediocrity is in his vocabulary.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I feel a little more optimistic each time I read or listen to new ADKS; he sure 'appears' to be the 'real deal' and I have confidence he'll make the necessary decisions if/when they are needed.
                          I don't think mediocrity is in his vocabulary.
                          I'm not discounting ADKS.

We have been in several types of "Group of Top Winning Programs" over 10 or so years for a while now. However, over the last 3 years, an 81-24 (.771) record has drop off, while we added a 54-27 (.666) record. As of now, we are getting near or at the bottom of these "groups". Over the next 3 years, another 93-15 (.861) record will drop off. Even Marshall was having some problems keeping the Shocks at "that high level" (45-23 .662) his last 2 years. 20-win seasons will not cut it for these types of accolades. We did not drop under 25 wins for a 9-year period with three 30 or better win seasons sprinkled in.

I'm not saying better, even great days may not be ahead. However, even this coming season may very well put a big dent in a future "10-year accolade" group for some time to come.

Comment

North Carolina No. 1 in AP's preseason men's basketball poll - Associated Press
                            2022-23 Men's College Basketball Rankings for Preseason | ESPN
                            10/17/22, 11:18 AM CT

Houston has its highest preseason ranking since 1983, when the third of the Cougars' Phi Slama Jama teams reached its second consecutive title game.

#3 Houston
                            #40 Memphis

Comment

2022-23 T-Rank College Basketball Projections (all 363 teams)

Updated: 10/17/22

Team - Rank
                              Houston - #6 (Previous - #6)
                              Memphis - #29 (Previous - #36)
                              Tulane - #42 (Previous - #42)
                              Cincinnati - #53 (Previous - #52)
                              Temple - #60 (Previous - #63)
                              Central Florida - #109 (Previous - #99)
                              South Florida - #118 (Previous - #106)
                              Wichita State - #126 (Previous - #113)
                              SMU - # 150 (Previous - #142)
                              Tulsa - #166 (Previous - #145)