ECU at Wichita State Pregame Discussion 3-5-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECU at Wichita State Pregame Discussion 3-5-22

ECU (15-13, 6-10 AAC) at WICHITA STATE (14-12, 5-9 AAC)
    SATURDAY, MARCH 5, 2022 | 2:00 PM CT
    WICHITA, KANSAS| CHARLES KOCH ARENA
    TV: ESPNU
    RADIO: KEYN 103.7 FM https://www.radio.com/keyn/listen
    SERIES: Wichita State leads 5-0 (2-0 in Wichita)
    LAST MEETING: January 1, 2020 in Wichita (WSU, 75-69)
    GAME RECAP:

An all-around effort from The Process helped No. 24/23 Wichita State outlast East Carolina, 75-69, in a New Year's Day matinee at Charles Koch Arena.

The Process posted team-highs across the board for the Shockers (12-1, 1-0 American), finishing with 17 points, nine rebounds, five assists, five steals and a block.

Wichita State won its sixth-straight game and extended its home winning streak to 12 games.

Jamarius Burton added 15 points and Trey Wade and Tyson Etienne finished with 11 points and six rebounds apiece.

Jayden Gardner, the conference's leading scorer, put up 20 of his game-high 29 points in the second half to lead ECU (6-8, 0-1 American), which had won four-in-a-row coming in.

ECU shot 49.2 percent – best by a Shocker opponent this year -- and became only the second opposing team to out-rebound them, winning the battle of the boards 36-33.

Wichita State connected on 43.9 percent from the floor, including 9-of-27 from distance, but struggled from the foul line. The Shockers attempted 20 more free throws than ECU but hit just 16-of-29 (.552).

Helped by 12 steals, the Shockers finished plus-six in takeaways (17-11) and outscored the Pirates 13-6 off turnovers.

The Shockers led for 39 minutes but never comfortably. They scored the game's first nine points but struggled to sustain any momentum.

Down 37-30 at halftime, ECU rallied to take its only lead, 45-44, with 12:46 to go.

The Process helped turn the tide with a three-pointer and a free throw that keyed a 6-0 Shocker run. He scored 10 of his 17 points over the last 10 minutes of the game.

Etienne, who entered the week ranked 15th nationally in three-point percentage, missed six of his first seven attempts to start the day but hit back-to-back in a span of less than 40 seconds during another 8-0 spurt. Wade's dunk made it 65-54 with 6:38 to play.

Gardner took over for ECU over the next five minutes, pulling the Pirates to within three with under a minute to play.

Morris Udeze (nine points and four rebounds) made two key defensive plays on consecutive possession, blocking a shot and then stealing an entry pass. Two trips later, The Process added a steal of his own. The Shockers sank five free throws over the final 41 seconds to seal the win.

Last time we played them was New Year’s Day 2020? That seems eons ago. If we only knew then what we know now.
    78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
      Last time we played them was New Year’s Day 2020? That seems eons ago. If we only knew then what we know now.
      And we were ranked! Ugh

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
        … and the ‘Processed’ cheese was still on its cracker.
        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

… and the ‘Processed’ cheese was still on its cracker.
          I was trying to think of a way to convey that exact thought, but yours pretty much nailed it.

78-65

Comment

I think we win this one. We suck, ECU sucks more.

Arrrrrg: 56
            ????? (Does Wushock make a sound?): 62

Comment

Nope the Shocks will not be able to compete with ECU. They beat Memphis and we all know what Memphis did to the Shocks. This is what we will see:

MU will throw the ball away and not be able to handle a double tea. Spin move for a strip or traveling call. Clangggggggg missed layup. It's been that way for 4 years. Don't expect a change now.

DD clangggggggg several wide open 3 pointer missed and several blown layups. A total liability on offense.

TE another brain fart. He will throw the ball away and kill momentum by making another stupid 1 hand pass. Does anyone really believe he is in the class with the good guards of Cincinnati, SMU, Houston,, and Memphis. But hey he is going pro..

KP will be eaten alive by the tough front line of ECU. This is a man game. KP is just not ready. He is soft as Charmin.

MJ and RC4 will constantly lose their man on defense and will be backed door for layups and dunks. The lack of basketball IQ is atrocious for those 2.

I can't wait for the 8 minutes were we go without scoring. This will be a game for MTXE. More turnovers and errors. Basketball IQ is underrated. I hope I am wrong.. I doubt it. Go Shocks

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post
                Nope the Shocks will not be able to compete with ECU. They beat Memphis and we all know what Memphis did to the Shocks. This is what we will see:

MU will throw the ball away and not be able to handle a double tea. Spin move for a strip or traveling call. Clangggggggg missed layup. It's been that way for 4 years. Don't expect a change now.

DD clangggggggg several wide open 3 pointer missed and several blown layups. A total liability on offense.

TE another brain fart. He will throw the ball away and kill momentum by making another stupid 1 hand pass. Does anyone really believe he is in the class with the good guards of Cincinnati, SMU, Houston,, and Memphis. But hey he is going pro..

KP will be eaten alive by the tough front line of ECU. This is a man game. KP is just not ready. He is soft as Charmin.

MJ and RC4 will constantly lose their man on defense and will be backed door for layups and dunks. The lack of basketball IQ is atrocious for those 2.

I can't wait for the 8 minutes were we go without scoring. This will be a game for MTXE. More turnovers and errors. Basketball IQ is underrated. I hope I am wrong.. I doubt it. Go Shocks

Comment

SMU beat Memphis TWICE and we all know what we did to SMU ... Memphis has no chance vs us ... .wait ....Transitive property is fun.

Comment

Memphis is a damn good team with a terrible coach. Imagine the outrage here if we had Top 5 talent and were a bubble team.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      Memphis is a damn good team with a terrible coach. Imagine the outrage here if we had Top 5 talent and were a bubble team.
                      I would take it over what we currently have. Non top 5 talent and no post season possibility without winning the AAC tournament.
                      I won't tolerate rude behavior

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        For WSU to have Top 5 talent, the coach would have to recruit. But he’s too busy being concerned about hurting other player’s feelings.

Comment

Got a pretty good chuckle out of this… unfortunately hits too close to home.

Comment

This is just the cutest and most clever post I have ever read,

Hoping you write another next year when you graduate out of Diapers.

Comment

Here's the deal. We will win by a 3 pointer by Kenny P. at the buzzer. That's all I got.

WSU 71

ECU 68

Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Working...
                              X