Fire Isaac Brown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

My guess is that if Mo comes back, Kenny finds a better gig. That would absolutely suck.
    All teams outside of the power 5 are in danger of becoming stepping stones for players now that transfer and nil deals can be made.

It used to be that way for coaches only. Not anymore though. The gates will open in April.

Comment

• Pretend you are IB and need to replace some players. This is not a prediction, just throwing some names out. You need to replace Monzy (obvious), Jenkins (fairly obvious), Pohto, Etienne, and Council. It could be any group of names, I just threw some out there.

Are you going to try to replace those guys with HS players, JuCo players, or D1 players coming out of the portal? There's a reason there isn't much activity in the Recruiting Forum.

This could be a good time to go after some HS guys that may be above the level the current Shox could expect to recruit. P5's are going to stockpile HS players so other schools can't get them, like the NBA already does. There are going to be some decent HS players that are available because teams have filled their schollies out of the portal.
      Last edited by WuTheOne; March 5, 2022, 11:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
        Pretend you are IB and need to replace some players. This is not a prediction, just throwing some names out. You need to replace Monzy (obvious), Jenkins (fairly obvious), Pohto, Etienne, and Council. It could be any group of names, I just threw some out there.

Are you going to try to replace those guys with HS players, JuCo players, or D1 players coming out of the portal? There's a reason there isn't much activity in the Recruiting Forum.
        Any D1 transfers he could get will be guys who rode the pine at good programs.
        I would go after a couple high school kids and hi level JC kids. Then scrap together whatever you can get to fill out the roster.
        In other words, not much hope for the future. Sad to say it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

Any D1 transfers he could get will be guys who rode the pine at good programs.
          Not necessarily. Any more, there are numerous reasons why a guy would transfer. Look at all the guys who have left WSU in recent years. You can find really good players in the portal. You just have to be savvy enough to get them.

Whether IB can do that remains to be seen.

78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Not necessarily. Any more, there are numerous reasons why a guy would transfer. Look at all the guys who have left WSU in recent years. You can find really good players in the portal. You just have to be savvy enough to get them.

you believe in second chances, cause he failed at this last year

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

Last year was recruiting by video and Zoom. I have no reason to think that this year will be better for bringing in talent. I'm not going to critique last year too heavily because there were limited opportunities to evaluate talent.

Comment

Dude, I’ve been VERY critical. I’m far from a sunshine pumper.

I’m just saying that the blanket statement of “Guys who transfer are guys who rode bench” isn’t always accurate. There is a plethora of reasons to cause a guy to transfer.
                78-65

Comment

• Combining the good discussion from the ECU thread, it seems like many are aligned with the following three points:

1. We have good players and coaches who will find some success in life past WSU.

2. The players were not given the people, system, or training to be successful.

3. #2 is 100% on the coaches, not the players.

Comment

• Recruits can be categorized in the following groups:

1. HS kids
                    2. Juco players
                    3. Bench warmers at P5 programs looking for playing time
                    4. Bench warmers at non P5 looking for playing time
                    5. Good players at non P5 looking to move up in competition
                    6. Good players at P5 looking for Top 10 programs/NBA draft
                    7. Players below D1 level looking for D1 opportunities

I would go hard after #3, #5 and then #2. HS kids would probably be low priority at this point. The problem with HS kids is that they all want to play and will bolt after a year of sitting on the bench. Transfers will be locked in.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

While true, the good programs will get the good transfers, I believe. I can't put WSU in that category anymore regretfully.

Comment

• I figure as of this moment today Isaac brown is here at least next year. If there’s some kind of intergalactic shift in the force and we somehow win the conference tournament, he’s completely back indefinitely. He buys a 4th year.

Its hard for me to tell if there’s not hope or if a lot about this year is just weird. It almost feels like we were as unlucky with the bounce in close games as we were lucky last year. Law of averages maybe. And we are def the averagest team ever so it tracks.

I’m not mad at him and I think he still may be able to finish out his contract with WSU usually at least 6th or better but that’s not exactly what you’d hope for. It’s tough to pull the plug on him quickly for all kinds of reasons.
                        Last edited by Dave Stalwart; March 6, 2022, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• I had a conversation with another ‘old timer’ at half time yesterday. We discussed IB following a ‘legend’ and how difficult that can be. Maybe the IB choice wasn’t too bad considering the circumstances. We didn’t have a lot of luck replacing Krusty (Gene Stephenson) and had to settle with our 3rd or 4th choice until Wedge came along.

Sitting in Koch Arena the past few games has given me some hope (hope is a good thing) about the future. There were 9000 people there yesterday bringing it for a 14-12 (15-12) team likely going nowhere.

I believe IB will eventually be forced to step-down and head to the Juco ranks to build his resume. I will be forever grateful to him for stepping into a no-win situation. I can’t imagine following coach Marshall and having to deal with a pandemic… that’s a lot to ask from anyone.

The Shockers still have a National following and a great fan base… we will rise again. IB is simply a placeholder.

No, I haven’t been drinking… yet!

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                            I had a conversation with another ‘old timer’ at half time yesterday. We discussed IB following a ‘legend’ and how difficult that can be. Maybe the IB choice wasn’t too bad considering the circumstances. We didn’t have a lot of luck replacing Krusty (Gene Stephenson) and had to settle with our 3rd or 4th choice until Wedge came along.

Sitting in Koch Arena the past few games has given me some hope (hope is a good thing) about the future. There were 9000 people there yesterday bringing it for a 14-12 (15-12) team likely going nowhere.

I believe IB will eventually be forced to step-down and head to the Juco ranks to build his resume. I will be forever grateful to him for stepping into a no-win situation. I can’t imagine following coach Marshall and having to deal with a pandemic… that’s a lot to ask from anyone.

The Shockers still have a National following and a great fan base… we will rise again. IB is simply a placeholder.

No, I haven’t been drinking… yet!
                            Valid points but they are kind of excuses that would be used by DB as well. No excuse for the long term contract/buy out.
                            Last edited by Atxshoxfan; March 6, 2022, 11:22 AM.

Comment

• 1. Some fan hits the lottery and buys HCIB out.
                              2. We are stuck with him for the next 3 years or so and we don't win very many games in an increasingly weaker conference.

Comment

1. Some fan hits the lottery and buys HCIB out.
                                2. We are stuck with him for the next 3 years or so and we don't win very many games in an increasingly weaker conference.
                                3. IB pulls some recruits out of thin air and learns from his mistakes this year and are slightly better next year.

Comment

Working...
                                X