X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Article about HCGM!

Sorry if this has been posted already.

Lots of good things in that article!
    Last edited by Shockthemonkey; March 10, 2012, 11:31 PM.

Just read it LOVE it....I hope some of this holds true. Coach stays he can have a real lasting legacy here.

written by Fred Mann

GO SHOX!
    "Valley-shaking, nation-waking 29-game win streak." - Paul Suellentrop, The Wichita Eagle

Comment

Awesome article!
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Apparently it was written by Fred Mann not Paul.
        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

"Kresse and other friends who stay in touch with Marshall said he is happy at Wichita State. Kresse said he told Marshall two weeks ago he’s got such a great thing going at WSU that he ought to retire there.

“Why not stay there and keep prospering and enjoy the people and friends he’s now gained?” Kresse said."

Think I like John Kresse very much and hope Marshall listens to him.

Comment

NICE!!!!!!!
            Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

Great article!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shox21 View Post
                "Kresse and other friends who stay in touch with Marshall said he is happy at Wichita State. Kresse said he told Marshall two weeks ago he’s got such a great thing going at WSU that he ought to retire there.

“Why not stay there and keep prospering and enjoy the people and friends he’s now gained?” Kresse said."

Think I like John Kresse very much and hope Marshall listens to him.
                Yeah, his advice sounds like the complete opposite that Larry Brown gave to Turgeon a while back. That being said, I have thought that Marshall was a better fit here from day 1 so the change was good for us. He doesn't feel inferior being here and seems to coach much tougher teams.

Comment

Fred Mann has always been a fantastic journalist, and that article is a brilliant example of why.

I was fortunate enough to meet Coach Kresse. He and Coach Marshall are similar in many ways, and I can promise you 2 things; Gregg absolutely listens and completely respects the opinion of John and 2)Gregg will make up his own mind.

Comment

Great article.

Comment

correct on Fred Mann...very good journalist, very nice man...no pun intended!

Comment

Great Read. Especially;

“I don’t have a safety net,” Marshall said. “If I fail, it’ll be like falling out of a plane. I’ll hit the ground and I’ll have to start over.

“I’m not an NBA name; I didn’t play in the NBA. My father isn’t a college coach. I don’t have a guy that is my college roommate that is a big-time coach now who’s going to hire me if I get fired.

“Maybe it’s because I’ve had a hardscrabble ascent that I’m very leery of the descent.”

3G's words are typical of those who worked hard for what they have. He's grateful, and not so willing to let it go.
                        "Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

Originally posted by ripemupshocks View Post
                          “I don’t have a safety net,” Marshall said. “If I fail, it’ll be like falling out of a plane. I’ll hit the ground and I’ll have to start over.

I really don't like talking about this....I really don't. It's not for me decide in any way, shape or form. Everyone has to do what's right for themselves, and in all sincerity, I want people to do whatever makes them happy, regardless of what I want, or what other pressures are applied to them.

That being said, I'll reiterate something I mentioned a few days ago.....This afternoon would be a WONDERFUL time and opportunity to express your appreciation for what Coach Marshall has accomplished and to let him know exactly how much he is loved, right here at HOME.

Gregg knows he can win here and has proven it. He also knows he can be a top 15 program, earn an excellent seed and have a LEGITIMATE chance to win a National Championship. He is loved and revered and he owns this program.

And to Athletic Director Eric Sexton, it seems to me in these times of uncertainty, that safety and certainty just might carry the day. The kids are out of high school in 5 years. Seems to me a really nice graduation gift would be a nice fat annuity....say in the $5 million range? Another one after college just might cement things.

Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            That being said, I'll reiterate something I mentioned a few days ago.....This afternoon would be a WONDERFUL time and opportunity to express your appreciation for what Coach Marshall has accomplished and to let him know exactly how much he is loved, right here at HOME.
                            +1000 Today is a perfect day to go to Koch and support HCGM and this team.
                            Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

I was just thinking today about his salary and how it compares to upper upper end college bb coaches. How much does our successful program bring in not only in gate receipts and donations but donations to
                              saso and other departments at WSU. If you lose a coach like HCGM even if you get another comparable one you still lose continuity within the program and the inertia created already. I would think an additional million dollars would be on the low side compared with the national exposure such a program generates. I'm not saying that he should get a million dollar raise but our basketball program sure generates alot of good will through out the University. A great showing today would show him where we stand as fans.

Comment

Working...
                              X