Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 Teams who have NEVER....

3 Teams who have NEVER....

........won the MVC Tournement in St. Louis!

Evansville - (No Surprise there)
    Bradley - (Kinda "strange" considering that programs rich history)

...and of course.................

WICHITA St. (Hmmmmmmmmmmmm - why)

So every other team in the conference has won at least 1 MVC Championship since the tourney has been played in St. Louis over these past 21 years.

What does that mean? I honestly don't know. BUT one thing I do know is...having watched and followed the Shockers and the MVC for 30 years....I have NEVER seen one ounce of goodwill treatment towards the Shockers in the Tourney. But whoa is me....I've certainly seen quite a few times where the other teams battling the Shockers have gotten some very.....VERY favorable "goodwill" from you know who.

Now I understand the obvious things like...the Shockers sucked in the 90's, and/or the Shockers just didn't play well enough to win. But Damn...seriously wth????? Wichita St. getting kinda shafted in the tourney in recent years is really REALLY not only disheartening, but also raises serious red flags to me as a fan regarding the MVC's "agenda". I'm so glad our Head Coach has the you know what to "hint" that there may be a problem.

In short...I think there needs to be some real internal questioning and action in the adminstrative dept. at Wichita St. The university needs to question if the MVC is in WSU's best interest for future conference affiliation. And on top of that...the Missouri Valley Conference needs to also do some HONEST internal questioning and ask themselves... does the MVC administration WANT Wichita St. to be apart of the MVC Conference in the future.
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Step away from the cliff. I stepped away yesterday and felt it to be refreshing.

Anyhow ... we are talking only, what, 21 years? 10 of those we absolutely sucked. 2 more of those years we partially sucked. 5 of those years we were mediocre.

So now you have 4 years left where we were truly strong enough to win it:

2006 - The Valley as a whole was at it's absolute peak. There were 4/5 extremely strong teams and you would be fooling yourself to think we would have had an expectation to win. Certainly as good an expectation as anybody else, but that was just the perfect storm for the Valley in strength and it was anybody's tournament.

2010 - We got beat in the championship game to a Sweet-16 team -- I don't remember hearing "agenda" when we lost that game -- we were gassed with a key player injured and it was obvious why we lost.

2011 - Indiana State beat us because we played mediocre and ISUb got hot. That wasn't on the refs.

2012 - Illinois State -- the refs sucked and so did our shooting. Hate it when both those things collide, but it does happen from time to time unfortunately.

The reality is we haven't been that strong that many of the past 21 years until now. If Marshall stays we will be a strong contender nearly every year from here on out. Big "if" though.

Edit: Lost my brain on the can't remember the 4 years comment, so removed it ... gotta run! "Anybodies" ... Sheesh I need to stop drive-by posting.
    Last edited by Kung Wu; March 8, 2012, 06:45 PM.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      Step away from the cliff. I stepped away yesterday and felt it to be refreshing.
      You think that's refreshing. You should try falling off the cliff. Wow! The wind in your face! The adrenaline rush!

Of course, the landings can be a little problematic at times. Fortunately, the cliff I fell off of was only 3 foot high.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        You think that's refreshing. You should try falling off the cliff. Wow! The wind in your face! The adrenaline rush!

Of course, the landings can be a little problematic at times. Fortunately, the cliff I fell off of was only 3 foot high.
        Hahaha, man I don't blame anybody for jumping after that last game, but the real tourney is coming sooooooon!!
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Just an "observation". This is the first time in 5 years I see our Head Coach "thinking" if you know what I mean.
          FINAL FOURS:
          1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
          1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
          #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
          Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

No. What do you mean?
            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

re:

We're not going to give an ounce of pi$$ about the MVC Tournament in about 48 hrs.

I already don't...

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
                No. What do you mean?
                "Thinking"...that this might not be the best place to be. I dunno...watching that post game interview was somewhat "telling". He was obviously very disappointed in the treatment his team got. In a multi-bid league...his job gets easier in that regard.
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

:banghead: :rolleyes:
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I agree. We dropped one spot in one poll, two spots in another poll. Another theory I have is that I'd rather see my team get the bad game out of their system before the tourney than after.

Yes, the ref's did shaft us, but we only lost by one point. IMO, one point is as more on the team than on the refs. One play, one defensive stop, one less foul, one less turnover.

So, it will hurt our seeding a little (certainly not more than 2 spots), but if the team learns from it and plays the way they did after the Drake game, I, for one, will be very happy.

Comment

Facts are, we had a 13 point lead, and blew it. Irregardless of the refs, we played a mediorce game, and got caught by it. We have to have all the pistons turning from here on out.

Who is going to Koch arena Sunday for Selection Sunday? I am.

Comment

More observations: We are subjected to the rules of the game 'tag' on our defensive end, and 'bloodsport' or 'UFC' on our offensive end. Tiresome.

Officials stopped the ILSU game several times to apparently 'review' action. It's quite curious that they didn't stop the game with 18 seconds left to review that last critical call that could have changed the course of the tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                          "Thinking"...that this might not be the best place to be. I dunno...watching that post game interview was somewhat "telling". He was obviously very disappointed in the treatment his team got. In a multi-bid league...his job gets easier in that regard.
                          Respectfully disagree. The MVC was a multibid league for 7 straight years, we just hit a little drought the last few. I think coach realizes that with how good us, Creighton, and Illinois State Penitentiary could be in the future, this league will start another run of multibid years this year.
                          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                            Respectfully disagree. The MVC was a multibid league for 7 straight years, we just hit a little drought the last few. I think coach realizes that with how good us, Creighton, and Illinois State Penitentiary could be in the future, this league will start another run of multibid years this year.
                            Actually the Valley was a multi-bid league for 9 straight years from 1999 to 2007. Getting 3 bids in 1999 and 2005 and 4 bids in 2006. Each of the other 6 years from 1999 to 2007 the Valley got 2 bids.

The Valley was a multi-bid league from 1994 to 2007 except for 2 years (97 and 98).

Actually the Valley has mostly been a multi-bid league since mutliple bids started in 1975 (getting 2 bids that very first year).

The Valley has had two dry patches since multi-bids started where we were a one-bid conference for awhile. The first bad period was from 1989 to 1993- the Valley went 5 years without an at large bid. The second one was the most recent 4 year run from 2008 to 2011. Other than those two periods, the Valley has pretty much been a multi-bid conference ever since multiple bids started in 1975.

Comment

Having met many people from Missouri who simply hate everything about Kansas, I would go out on the limb and assume in this situation that since the MVC is HQ'd in St. Lou that there is simply a bias against WSU. Who knows, it's possible. Either that or WSU just infuriated someone within the MVC many years ago, some how and the feud still exist to this day.

Comment

Working...
                              X