Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A lot of talk here about switching conferences?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A lot of talk here about switching conferences?

What conference upgrade could WSU make? As a basketball only school, I dont c the MWC or CUSA being an option. The only upgrades in conferences with BO schools are the A-10 or gasp The Big East. The A10 does go as far west as St Louis but I dont c geographically it making much sense. Although they do have 14 teams and if they add CU as well they could make two 8 team divisions. The BE is losing Cuse and Uconn to ACC but I think they have already replaced those schools Boise and someone else. Geographically, at least, the BE would make sense but I just dont c it happening. The Horizon is the only other option but it is not an upgrade.

Another thread????? WSU plays a lot more sports than just basketball, FYI...

Comment

I just don't see how anything works.

Comment

Originally posted by martymoose View Post
        Another thread????? WSU plays a lot more sports than just basketball, FYI...
        No Chit and none of them generate real revenue.......Maybe you havent been following current events but Football is king followed by BB.....a distant 2nd. If a basketball program like KU was about to be banished to the MWC during the B12 realignment, then that should tell you where CBB ranks in the big picture of TV revenues. If a school doesnt have FB they dont have much to offer.

Comment

Not PC, but title IX is a killer

Comment

The question for those of us that want a football program is "What makes football programs for the size of WSU profitable"? Football is king and without it we are adrift in a turbulent sea but are we better off being adrift than sitting on a sinking ship (unprofitable football program that has to carry the women's sports)?

Go Shocks!
            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
              Yep.

Comment

Always wondered, how do schools like OSU, Mizzou, Iowa, etc., manage to have wrestling teams with Title IX? What do they end up cutting? The one thing Kansas has is an abundance of quality hs wrestling talent which ends up going out of state. Would be nice to see WSU have a program.

Comment

perhaps they offer D-1 Ladies mud wrestling as well.....

Comment

perhaps they offer D-1 Ladies mud wrestling as well.....
                    Well that's one women's sport that could generate some revenue..

Comment

Except for the Big East, the BCS conferences are "all sport" conferences (meaning all major sports played in conference...exceptions for wrestling, hockey, rifle, etc).

The smorgasborg approach of the Big East has also been their weakness...a weakness that has allowed conferences to siphon off Miami, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Pitt, Syracuse, and WVU. Having a "basketball league" populated with small private catholic schools and a football league completely separate, led to disatisfaction in some football school camps and made the conference the league for other conferences to raid.

I would not be surprised if Marquette, St. John's, DePaul, Providence, Seton Hall, and Georgetown break off from the football schools.

Comment

Most of them have at least one absence of a male sport...Mizzou, for example, has no men's tennis....Title 9 is a mixed bag of blessings, to be sure...

Comment

Originally posted by DUShock View Post
                          The question for those of us that want a football program is "What makes football programs for the size of WSU profitable"? Football is king and without it we are adrift in a turbulent sea but are we better off being adrift than sitting on a sinking ship (unprofitable football program that has to carry the women's sports)?

Go Shocks!
                          donors, buy in games, donors, and a sold out stadium every game would be a good start. And did I mention donors?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                              donors, buy in games, donors, and a sold out stadium every game would be a good start. And did I mention donors?
                              I agree and a portion of my meager athletic giving goes to Kansas State for football tickets. I know of several low to mid-range boosters who travel to KSU or KU for football. I also know several larger donors who do the same. I reference the larger donors seperately because we all recognize they are who make the world go around. As a side note I do know a couple of KU & KSU alums that are large donor to our basketball program. So I guess it likely evens out in the wash. No more football posts from this guy in our basketball thread!

Go Shocks!

Comment

Working...
                              X