STL Officiating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockRef View Post
    The whole crew was caught off guard and I'm sure the post game tape break down was an interesting event.
    Hello SR,

Questions: Do the refs/league head of officiating typically watch the tape and recap their performance? If so do they watch the entire game film from start to finish? Finally, how many games a season would you guess someone like Higgins or Self officiates?

Thanks and I'll hang up and listen off air.

Comment

Case in point - On the play where DK hustled to tip the ball off of an ISU player, Self was over ruled by Higgins.

John did not handle it well, running in & blowing his whistle 3 times and vigorously pointing in the other direction.
      He 'Big Timed" Self, who was obviously a bit embarrassed by the miss.
      At what point in the game did the "Big Timing" happen? If it was later in the game, instead of "Big Timing" couldn't it also have been that Higgins was pissed to hell that his drunken partner had miscalled so many lopsided fouls that he was just pissed and making a point to get the zombie to snap out of his idiocy?

When your partner is continuously f'ing up it's got to be frustrating.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

ShockRef, can you give us some insight in what is discussed, if anything, at the half between the officials?

Comment

Absolutely

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
          Hello SR,

Questions: Do the refs/league head of officiating typically watch the tape and recap their performance? If so do they watch the entire game film from start to finish? Finally, how many games a season would you guess someone like Higgins or Self officiates?

Thanks and I'll hang up and listen off air.
          Boston,
          Absolutely!

Each game is reviewed both by the Supervisor of Officials (Eddie Jackson for The Valley) and each official.

KS works quite a bit around 70, JH even more. Each game they work is listed on line.

I go over every game I officiate, usually the same night. It's SOP to either receive a DVD or pull up the game on the site afterward.

I am required to pick at least one game a year, break it down and send in to each of my Supervisors. I am required to explain every one of my calls (and my partners too). It is a condition for employment.

We have a saying regarding videotaping - "The eye in the sky never lies."
          Above all, make the right call.

Comment

On a side note, did anyone see the horrendous no-calls at the end of West Virginia and UCONN? I'm wondering of Buggy bear gets a "reprimand" from what he might say.

Comment

Personally, I feel that if a coach can be "publicly reprimanded" for making only insinuations about what was obvious, so should officials be publicly reprimanded/suspended for shoddy, unprofessional work that provoked it. I know this happens on occasions, but pardon me if I don't hold my breath on this one. It over, done, and swept under the carpet. And the MVC front office wonders why WSU's fan base feels the way it does.

Comment

You do a nice job monitoring the recruiting forums. Stick to it.

SR
                I read your posts with amazement. I hope you are not representative of NCAA refs.
                Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Marshall probably gave the league office some negative feedback about Self from the game at Drake. I find it really odd that Self would be assigned to a WSU game in St. Louis if there is a known issue between a coach and an official. Officiating is always criticized by fans after a loss, but it seems to be a bit too much of a coincidence to see the amount and types of complaints that occurred in 2 WSU losses - and both had Self as an official.

If Jank had any indication that Self was not a WSU-friendly official (which he may have known from watching film of the game at DU), that may have influenced the style of game IlSU played.

I don't like Elgin. That may influence my opinion that he wasn't exactly innocent in all of this.

On the other hand, the Shox did not respond well to thuggery, name-calling, and a team seeing jut how far they could go and then going past that point. Maintaining composure can be done, but the Shox didn't do that.

I had contacts with some football players at Hillsboro when DeAngelo Evans played for Collegiate. Evans was ejected from the games against Hillsboro in both his Jr and Sr seasons. The players at Hillsboro found that he was sensitive to comments about his sister, mother, and some other things I'd rather not go into here. I've been told of some of the conversations in piles before Evans came up swinging and got ejected. I absolutely do not approve of saying things like that, but players have to learn to ignore things that are being done to take you out of your game on a mental level. The Shox did not achieve that - and that's what I think cost them the game. IlSU went all "physical thuggery" on the Shox and the Shox let it get into their heads.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Kelly "I often play with my" Self schedule this year:

Comment

Referees

The bottom line with me is what Illinois State was allowed to do to Stutz. Stutz said after the game that the ref's warned No 30, twenty times. I can see warning someone at the 5th grade level in recreational basketball, but not at this level. In another thread, someone said they reviewed the game using their DVR and saw how No 30 was kicking Stutz in the back of the knees. What this amounts to is that the Illinois State Coach went too far. The old axiom applies here - doing anything to win at any cost. I think that was disgusting and their coach ought to be reprimanded for it by the MVC, so much so that I sent a note to Doug Elgin today and told him so.

Comment

Originally posted by SpanglerFan316 View Post
                        I read your posts with amazement. I hope you are not representative of NCAA refs.

Why not??

Comment

Anybody stating that fan behavior doesn't (or hasn't) influence(d) a zebra during a basketball game is either ignorant, or hopeful, or both. There are countless times where fans have influenced the decision-making process of a referee during a college basketball game. I have seen it happen many times at Koch Arena. Sometimes it's due to anger, sometimes confusion, sometimes deafness. The students rattled one of them so bad a while back, he had to go to the PA announcer and cry while threatening a technical against our team. Zebras are human, despite what they themselves might think. The day we replace them with robots is the day we will be assured no calls were biased.

T

...:cool:

Comment

There is a right and a wrong way to communicate with an official Trop.

GM chose a wrong one.

GM should have went through the proper channels after the game to communicate his concerns regarding the officials.

GM chose the wrong one again.

You do a nice job monitoring the recruiting forums.

Stick to it.

SR
                            Ah, that was "big-timing" there. Not called for.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
                              ...What this amounts to is that the Illinois State Coach went too far. The old axiom applies here - doing anything to win at any cost. I think that was disgusting and their coach ought to be reprimanded for it by the MVC, so much so that I sent a note to Doug Elgin today and told him so.
                              Gotta disagree with you on this point and so does GM who on the coach's show said you got to give them credit for their game plan and trying to throw us off our game with physical tactics but being able to implement it is another thing.

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
                                The bottom line with me is what Illinois State was allowed to do to Stutz. Stutz said after the game that the ref's warned No 30, twenty times. I can see warning someone at the 5th grade level in recreational basketball, but not at this level. In another thread, someone said they reviewed the game using their DVR and saw how No 30 was kicking Stutz in the back of the knees. What this amounts to is that the Illinois State Coach went too far. The old axiom applies here - doing anything to win at any cost. I think that was disgusting and their coach ought to be reprimanded for it by the MVC, so much so that I sent a note to Doug Elgin today and told him so.
                                Nope, BostonWu. (X)azshox is right (so I quoted him here). ISU went too far. W****** should have been ejected when he backhanded Stutz on the nose. That was a punch.
                                Last edited by another shocker; March 7, 2012, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X