Winning is secondary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winning is secondary

Who is the portion of the fanbase that is happily cheering the team no matter the outcome or more importantly what the product looks like? At the same time they're chastising all the naysayers for not saying something nice. Seriously who are these people? Old knitting ladies? Cougs? PC police (to put it nicely)?

These same folks were perfectly fine with Cohen, Thompson, mtxe2. Suppose they're someone's useful idiots.

I hung through the bad years, holding season tickets from 1980- 2000 when I moved to Austin for career reasons.
    I wasn't old during those years and I wouldn't say I particularly enjoyed the bad years. But I enjoyed the game itself. I enjoyed watching the guys play team ball.
    Even during the bad years, they made some good plays and won a few games. Things to cheer about.
    Forward to today's game, where the focus is on 3 point shooting, few if any midrange good shots. They now throw up those runners. Run bad offenses and now to top it off, they don't seem to develope and they lose.

Kids move around from one team to the next so there's no real team chemistry like there used to be.
    I think college hoops has seen it's glory days come and go. But I'll continue to support WSU basketball in hopes of better days ahead. Could be years to come.
    so I guess I'm someone's useful idiot as described above.
    Last edited by Atxshoxfan; January 20, 2022, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Oh ....MTXE began in gene Smithson era. What was wrong with that. Those were some of the most fun games I can remember. Yes even more fun than the final four year.

Comment

Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post
        Oh ....MTXE began in gene Smithson era. What was wrong with that. Those were some of the most fun games I can remember. Yes even more fun than the final four year.
        Look closer

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Look closer
          Gotcha... MTXE 2.
          I'm old and blind now, or maybe my astounding speed readings fault.

Comment

i do much less cheering and have become an observer of the team/games. I hate that it is like this, it also happened in baseball when Stephenson was fired and I no longer follow the baseball program.
            I used to get really upset when we would lose and it doesn't really affect me now, which is a bad sign. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Apathy is what will kill the program.

Comment

Look at the Shocker Faithful group on Facebook, that's who. Nothing against them. I just think that reinforces the idea that subpar performance doesn't really matter.

There is cheering and there is blindly cheering. I cheer for the team but I'm also going to be critical when expectations aren't met.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                i do much less cheering and have become an observer of the team/games. I hate that it is like this.

I used to get really upset when we would lose and it doesn't really affect me now, which is a bad sign. I'm sure I'm not the only one. Apathy is what will kill the program.
                Just talking about the same thing with my father the other day.

We know several others that share the same sentiments as well.

Scary times.
                The Assman

Comment

Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                  Look at the Shocker Faithful group on Facebook, that's who. Nothing against them. I just think that reinforces the idea that subpar performance doesn't really matter.

There is cheering and there is blindly cheering. I cheer for the team but I'm also going to be critical when expectations aren't met.
                  These are the same people who have raise the spoiled, entitled, soft generations we see today.
                  The Assman

Comment

Not familiar with the Shocker Faithful group, but I am one who supports the programs through good and bad.

Why? As long as these young men and women are giving their all (not always the case), is it their fault they aren’t as good as other teams? The answer is no. It is on the coaches.

FYI: It is ok to support the program AND want change.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                      Not familiar with the Shocker Faithful group, but I am one who supports the programs through good and bad.

Why? As long as these young men and women are giving their all (not always the case), is it their fault they aren’t as good as other teams? The answer is no. It is on the coaches.

I think your last sentence is where a majority of SN sits.

Comment

Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post

I think your last sentence is where a majority of SN sits.
                        Yup... If you only support a team when they win.... Thats a bandwagon fan. I'm sure they also recently traded all their Patriots gear for Buccaneers gear too.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

This is a truism lost on far too many.

Comment

Right on. Having passion and not wanting to accept mediocrity does not mean you do not support the team, players, and program. It simply means you care enough to want things to at a minimum be competitive. I effing hate losing more than anything on the planet. It p!sses me off. But, I support the kids on this team and the program and always will.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                              I effing hate losing more than anything on the planet. It p!sses me off.
                              I know this thread is discussing something different, but this attitude is what’s missing in our program right now.

I generally like Tyson. He seems to be a great young man off the court who I’d love for my son to emulate. However, on a couple different occasions, I’ve heard him downplay losing. Something to the effect of “You can’t win every game. We’re going to be okay.”

Meanwhile, I remember Fred’s team winning a game right after losing at home to Northern Iowa his senior year. He was on the radio after the win and said “We don’t lose here. It kinda pisses us off.”
                              78-65

Comment

Working...
                              X