No announcement yet.

Gregg Popovich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't I recall that IB's buyour is very low in the first couple of years? I recall something about thinking he had a couple of years to prove himself to get a decent buyout, but it wouldn't cost a lot to fire him if he didn't work out in the first couple of years.

Working 10 players into the roster in two years is an immense challenge, but if a coach can't get it done, it's time to move on. IB's ability to recruit players to WSU is deteriorating rapidly.

Comment

Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post
      Don't I recall that IB's buyour is very low in the first couple of years? I recall something about thinking he had a couple of years to prove himself to get a decent buyout, but it wouldn't cost a lot to fire him if he didn't work out in the first couple of years.

Working 10 players into the roster in two years is an immense challenge, but if a coach can't get it done, it's time to move on. IB's ability to recruit players to WSU is deteriorating rapidly.
      From article last spring:

“If WSU chooses to terminate Brown’s contract without cause in the first three years (before May 1, 2024), then the university would owe Brown the amount equal to the remaining balance on Brown’s contract. WSU would be able to buy Brown out of his contract in the fourth year or fifth year by paying half of his remaining salary.”
      78-65

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

“If WSU chooses to terminate Brown’s contract without cause in the first three years (before May 1, 2024), then the university would owe Brown the amount equal to the remaining balance on Brown’s contract. WSU would be able to buy Brown out of his contract in the fourth year or fifth year by paying half of his remaining salary.”
        Boatright should be fired for this alone but at least it will be doable at the end of next year. Coach should save his riches.

Comment

Charles Koch writing a 10 million dollar check to dump Brown and hire Pop? That's a serious suggestion?

Comment

Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post

Oh, crap, that's the opposite of how I thought it went. That's the dumbest thing I can imagine. DB had all the negotiating power and #1 paid too much, and #2 made it IMPOSSIBLE to make a change if IB didn't work out.

That's a "you don't have to win to stay hired" contract.

Comment

Could have signed IB for half the price with much lower buyout. Where was he going?

Comment

Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
                Could have signed IB for half the price with much lower buyout. Where was he going?
                ….and therein lies the happy medium and raises questions about DB with that decision alone.
                Last edited by shoxlax; January 1, 2022, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                  Charles Koch writing a 10 million dollar check to dump Brown and hire Pop? That's a serious suggestion?
                  If Mr Koch is gonna write checks ... Let's have him sign some NIL deals... We can get a lot of good players for the amount of buying out IB.

Comment

my thoughts at the time

Comment

Give IB a $100,000 buyour in years 1 through 3. If the coach isn't held accountable, then why hold the players accountable?

As long as winning and losing isn't a factor, let's just let everybody have a lot of fun. IB isn't going to run anybody off as long as they're having a good time. Why not let them do whatever they want? It's no skin off IB's back.

I lean toward the side of "a player's coach", but you've got to hold the coach accountable. The coach's job has to be on the line, or a "player's coach" is going to let the players get away with anything and everything.

This whole situation is like a perfect storm for letting IB do to WSU what Chris Lowry did to SIU.

Comment

He definitely wasn't going anywhere that was going to pay anything close to 1.5, or maybe half of that.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Other than Pop, other assistant coach possibilities include:

John Wooden, Red Auerbach, Coach Carter, Ken Reeves (White Shadow), and Shooter from Hoosiers.

Comment

$1.5 million/year is a ****ing joke.

Just confirms how big of a dipshit Boatright is.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                              Boatright should be fired for this alone but at least it will be doable at the end of next year. Coach should save his riches.
                              No. This season (1st year of contract) ends May 2022. Next year is May 2023. Third year ends May 2024.

Comment

Still to much but I thought his 5 year deal was worth $6 million which would be $1.2 million per year on average. Still too much and I think we are pretty much locked into HCIB for at least 3 years including this year and the next two.

I think they could have hired HCIB for a base salary of $500,000 with incentives to add significantly to that as selected goals or milestones are reached.

But that's not the way WSU operates.

Comment

Working...
                                X