Shockers-Redbirds Gamethread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
    Ok, XManCometh, you go back and watch, and tell we how many times we settled for jumpshots those last 6:30 of the game. Tell me how many attempted layups there were, outside of Toure's 1 attempt that was blocked by Carmichael (cleanly). Count them up. That will tell you why we lost the game. We weren't allowed to play the game. We were forced to settle for shots that were not falling. We were forced because there was no mercy in the lane. I'll send you pics of Toure's bruises on his arm, legs, and midsection from getting abused. After 33:50 of it, you learn that they aren't gonna call the game fair, and start settling for jump shots.

Take nothing away from ISUr, they made 1 more shot than they needed to. But this game, like yesterdays game was set to be given to ISUb, came down to the refs trying to take away WSU's game. ISUb couldn't make the shots needed to win with help. ISUr did.
    Why didn't we make 1 of those jump shots? That's all we needed. Just one. I just won't believe that our guys were so sore that they couldn't make one basket in 7 minutes. If that's the case, we're not very mentally strong and we might as well not show up for the NCAA tournament, because it's not going to get any easier. I've found that blaming someone else for your failure is the easy way out.

I'll say it again: 41 missed shots.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthroshock View Post
      Jankovich saying Wilkins got the 2nd tech because he was speaking French...Said "He was speaking the wrong language."

Whaaa?
      Yea... wrong language and wrong sport.

He wasn't speaking French, he was speaking "french". And he wasn't playing basketball, he thought we was in a wrestling match... c
      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Anthroshock View Post
        Jankovich saying Wilkins got the 2nd tech because he was speaking French...Said "He was speaking the wrong language."

Whaaa?
        What did he say after he got the technical, "Pardon my French"?

Comment

• Originally posted by KC Shox View Post
          I'll take a little of it. Many of us have all agreed that we believe our Shox are one of the better conditioned teams in the MVC. If this is true, then we should have sustained the brunt of their tactics with relative ease and comfort. Watching BCS games, the refs that officiate their games seem to let players 'play' more - meaning the game is more physical. If the Shox can get knocked off track by what ISU red did, then what are you going to expect when we meet a BCS team with BCS officials officiating the game?

I will try and take the high road again and hope this is a learning experience for the Shox and next time they encounter this much physical play, they will adapt quickly. I tip my hat to ISU. They played us twice and lost, they adapted and instituted a different strategy today that threw us off our game. Kudos to them. The Shox need to learn.

I need to go to Best Buy and buy a new tv and a sledgehammer.
          I've checked, and Best Buy doesn't sell sledgehammers. Hang in there.

By the way, what's your evidence that the NCAA wants "mid majors" gone? Do you seriously believe that they -- and the TV people -- weren't happy about the buzz generated by VCU and Butler last year, or by Butler the year before? I'm betting more people know who lost the last two championship games than can tell you which generic "power six" team lost the year before Butler made its grab at the brass ring.

Comment

• Originally posted by XManCometh View Post
            Why didn't we make 1 of those jump shots? That's all we needed. Just one. I just won't believe that our guys were so sore that they couldn't make one basket in 7 minutes. If that's the case, we're not very mentally strong and we might as well not show up for the NCAA tournament, because it's not going to get any easier. I've found that blaming someone else for your failure is the easy way out.
            You're right. Take away the officials factor, can any of us explain away the no baskets made for the last 7 minutes. Gotta knock them down. The 14th ranked team in the nation should not go without a FG for that long of time.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
              What did he say after he got the technical, "Pardon my French"?
              And Stutz said "hey." That must be a bad word in French.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker2012 View Post
                Did Hall do anything that entire game?
                4 fouls, 1 rebound, 1 missed shot.

Comment

• I'll say it again:

13 fouls on Carmichael. 13. that's 13 FT's if we shoot our average.

Yes, we needed one shot to fall, and didn't get it.

We needed one call to be called on Carmichael that wasn't called.

We needed Wilkins T (whatever he said was enough the ref's heard it) not to be called on Garrett for turning around, asking why, never lifting his hands above his waist, and never touching anyone, to be called correctly which should have given us 2 more FT's.

Why didn't we get those FT's? If we get those and make them, we win the game @XManCometh:.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post

By the way, what's your evidence that the NCAA wants "mid majors" gone? Do you seriously believe that they -- and the TV people -- weren't happy about the buzz generated by VCU and Butler last year, or by Butler the year before? I'm betting more people know who lost the last two championship games than can tell you which generic "power six" team lost the year before Butler made its grab at the brass ring.
                    Yes. I think the TV people have expressly said as much. A Kentucky/Indiana final, or something similar, is their big wet dream. This is all about money. Money is generated by TV revenue. TV revenue is generated by ratings. Ratings are generated by the teams with the biggest followings. I seem to recall a big discussion the Butler year about whether this would be bad for the TV ratings.

In professional sports they will consistently talk about what a windfall for the sport having two "major market" teams making the finals is.

Comment

• Time to move on. It's going to be a long two weeks for Shockernetters. But a needed two weeks for the team.

I said it in another post and I will say it again. The '81 team lost to Creighton in the tourney championship game. It didn't stop them from making the Elite 8. Tough loss, but in the long run, it may be the best medicine this ailing team could have received. Crappy refs or not...
                      Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post

It is an observation simply on my part. We'll check out this year's bracket to either confirm or deny by observation. I am of the belief that the Power 6 has a tremendous amount of influence in the NCAA committee. I also believe that the TV higher ups would rather see a Kentucky versus Duke championship match-up rather than a Wichita State versus North Carolina. TV companies only care about dollar signs and ratings, which differs from what the national audience like to see in your example, David versus Goliath.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerGorilla View Post
                          And Stutz said "hey." That must be a bad word in French.
                          Marshall said they both got T's because they went "face to face"

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                            Physical game, I want White in there. He doesn't take that nonsense.. he gives it right back, smartly.
                            Very good point.

Comment

• It's going to be this way as long as we are in the Valley. I hope that HCGM and the rest of the team continues to understand that it's us against 9 teams and the league. Every year. I don't give a **** if the Valley gets 3 teams in. I only care about WSU and my feelings on this get cemented more and more each year. Screw the Valley.

On to the NCAA. One extra day of rest and one less game for some other scrub team to cheap shot our guys.
                              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by tw805 View Post
                                Yes. I think the TV people have expressly said as much. A Kentucky/Indiana final, or something similar, is their big wet dream. This is all about money. Money is generated by TV revenue. TV revenue is generated by ratings. Ratings are generated by the teams with the biggest followings. I seem to recall a big discussion the Butler year about whether this would be bad for the TV ratings.

In professional sports they will consistently talk about what a windfall for the sport having two "major market" teams making the finals is.
                                c
                                Agreed. If you asked tv people whether they would like two "blue bloods" in the tournament vs a blue blood vs a mid major/cinderella, I know what they would always choose. They would always pick KU over WSU. Its all about the $$$.

Comment

Working...
                                X