So how do you feel after the BU game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how do you feel after the BU game?

Encouraged by the win or scared of the impending collapse against even a marginal team?

Confident that the ship is righted or fortunate that we caught a reeling Brave team at exactly the right time?

Excited that the team can play that well in the second half or sickened knowing they are capable of playing that poorly in the first?

Completely in HCGM's corner after the pasting he administered Jim Les or nervous that the coaching in the Valley is still a bit beyond him at this point remembering DU and ISU?

Re-energized at the thought of a decent Valley season or still searching the schedule for win #2 (and hoping Ruffin will still be out for their return trip to the Chuck)?

Personally, I am tetering between being excited about a road win that I never expected to get at the start of the year and crushed that if we could shoot some damned free throws that we should be 2-1 and in decent shape even WITHOUT 1 of the 2 people we could NEVER lose and expect to replace.

Discuss

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Nothing has changed for me. After every game this year, I've felt this team can either win or lose every single game they play. They could finish the season on a great streak if certain things go their way, but they could also finish with a terrible season if certain things don't go their way.

Comment

I'm right with you Doctor

It was nice though being on the verge of a loss and then coming back to win for a change though. :good:

Comment

Originally posted by AndShock
        Nothing has changed for me. After every game this year, I've felt this team can either win or lose every single game they play. They could finish the season on a great streak if certain things go their way, but they could also finish with a terrible season if certain things don't go their way.
        Come on man....get off the fence!!! ;-)

Comment

Even though the results weren't on the scoreboard, does anybody think that our coach was out game planned or bench coached by any of the first three opposing Valley coaches?

Not I. He put the perfect strategy together with the cards he was dealt to win all three. He can't shoot free throws or wide open threes from the bench.

Now what happens the rest of the year is anybody's guess. Like ISASO said this team is a bad sequel to Me, Myself and Irene. But I don't think Coach Marshall will be guilty of lack of game preparation or failing to make adjustments.
          Because Denny Crane says so Dammit!

Comment

I think this team will be up and down all season. As was previously mentioned, they could win the next 8 games or they could lose 8. It's a tough team to figure out. I guess the good news is, that they are just as capable of doing something like they did last night in the second half. Also, we hang pretty tough with the current to MVC front-runners (Drake and Ill. State) despite terrible shooting in those earlier games.

The valley is wide open, and you could roll the dice and come up with about as accurate of precitions on how our team will fare.

We have a great coach. Through all this, he has never ceased to impress me. You really see the character of people in the BAD/trying times, and while I can understand him being frustrated, and I can understand him giving the team a very 'animated' locker room talk last night, he's represented WSU and the team in a completely classy way. All this, and the best is still yet to come too!

Comment

Personally, I think this team is utterly run on motivation. we've won a few of our big games, and we've seemed to look past some of our lesser games. I think they'll be fine on TV against MoSt. The real test will come when there are no tv cameras or big names. I will wait and see how Marshall motivates in the small scenarios down the stretch...
              Deep in the heart of couldn't give a crap about college basketball-land and I miss the SHOX.
              Students > Alumni
              If you EVER want to open your damn mouths about Selection Sunday, READ THIS FIRST: http://www.midmajority.com/p/1296
              The ONLY document that means ANYTHING: http://www.bbstate.com/schools/WICH/sheet

Comment

To me, success in the MVC season is gravy. IMO the season is just training for the MVC tourney and, hopefully, the NCAA tourney. I expect lots of bumps this year and I hope Gregg worries more about molding the team than about wins and losses. For example, we need a "new Sean" and Hatch might be that guy, someone who can beat Seton Hall and Syracuse from outside, and the regular season is the time to test and mold him for the MVC tourney. If Mantas can get over his mental issues, he could also be important. Gal needs to learn to be point guard because I don't see him being replaced at pg next year, at least by a freshman.

To me, your question is unimportant. Sometimes you learn more from a loss than from a win. Marshall likes to change defenses and disguise the offense; this is the time to work out the kinks. I take wins and losses in stride. Player and team development is much more important.
                Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Encouraging signs:

1) Mekel can play PG. It's only one game, but PG appeared to be outside of Mekel's skill set and mentality.

2) Hatch can be a role player at wing.

3) Michael can go a couple of minutes to give a breather at PG.

4) 60%+ FG shooting is an aberration, but it lends some hope that 20%+ FG shooting was also an aberration.

Discouraging signs:

1) Griskenas is progressing, but at a pretty slow pace. It could be that learning the system has him thinking about where to be and what to do and is interfering with his ability to just play the game.

2) Durley doesn't seem to be progressing. 6 minutes in a game where inside play was emphasized isn't encouraging. Durley has a great physical aspect to his game. Unfortunately there are other aspects to the game.

3) I wasn't counting on much from Ellis this year. That's probably going to be the result. Lots of upside, but I'm not optimistic we'll see much of it this year.

4) Turnovers. Even with a W, 25 TO's doesn't cut it for a team that's been prone to To's all year.

I think the Wichita fan contingent will do wonders for the revenues of hotels in St. Louis on a Thursday night in March.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Feel the same way I did before.

HCGM is a great coach, waiting for his recruiting classes to show up....

Doing the best he can with the cards he was dealt when he got here....

Playing to build the team for February and March... winning the Valley Tourney is the only ticket that will get punched for the big dance....

Valley is wide open.. winning the regular season would be nice, but won't get us in the big dance....

Players will be up and down... we just have to watch what we eat before we get on the roller coaster (before each game) ... this year....

:goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks: :goshocks:
                    Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Re: So how do you feel after the BU game?

Originally posted by WuDrWu
                      Encouraged by the win or scared of the impending collapse against even a marginal team?
                      Yes.

Confident that the ship is righted or fortunate that we caught a reeling Brave team at exactly the right time?
                      Yes.

[quote]Excited that the team can play that well in the second half or sickened knowing they are capable of playing that poorly in the first?

Yes.
                      Completely in HCGM's corner after the pasting he administered Jim Les or nervous that the coaching in the Valley is still a bit beyond him at this point remembering DU and ISU?

The one thing I have been impressed with this year is HCGM's coaching and game management. He can hold is own with any of the MVC Coaches.
                      Re-energized at the thought of a decent Valley season or still searching the schedule for win #2 (and hoping Ruffin will still be out for their return trip to the Chuck)?

Don't see us winning the MVC. Looking forward to the post-season tournament to make our run.

:goshocks:

Comment

I think were moving forward! This tough year will pay dividends in the future! :wsu_posters: 8)
                        I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

This team gives me a headache.

I think we need more cow bell!!!
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

What a great question Doc.

I think it was a big win that portends good things for the next 2 months.

Clearly winning either or both of the games vs. Drake and Ill St were possible. We could be 3 - 0.

I am in the positive group thinking we will have a winning record in the MVC.

I think the ship is righted, though we still have to bail some water and work hard at doing that.

RE HCGM, he is showing what he can do. I do think the MVC is tougher than folks think. I remember being told by a friend of MT's that he was surprised that the MVC was as tough as it was. I am sure that applies to GM too.

HCGM seems to be a guy who was bred blue collar but worked his way to white collar. He did it by himself without a coaching tree, legacy or any other handout. That, to me, is Wichita State.

(readers, please use the terms blue collar and white collar very loosely. I am not saying this literally, i.e. union vs. management)

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                              What a great question Doc.

I think it was a big win that portends good things for the next 2 months.

Clearly winning either or both of the games vs. Drake and Ill St were possible. We could be 3 - 0.

I am in the positive group thinking we will have a winning record in the MVC.

I think the ship is righted, though we still have to bail some water and work hard at doing that.

RE HCGM, he is showing what he can do. I do think the MVC is tougher than folks think. I remember being told by a friend of MT's that he was surprised that the MVC was as tough as it was. I am sure that applies to GM too.

HCGM seems to be a guy who was bred blue collar but worked his way to white collar. He did it by himself without a coaching tree, legacy or anyother handout. That, to me, is Wichita State.
                              (readers, please use the terms blue collar and white collar very loosely. I am not saying this literally, i.e. union vs. management)
                              Wow, this is so spot on it's beyond scary.

:wsu_posters: :goshocks: :posterwu: :posterwsu:

Comment

Working...
                              X