North Texas at Wichita State Game Thread 12-18-21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

Echenique I'm today's team would look great in the first half, but then never see the ball for 2/3 of the second.
    You mean would look good on the bench next to Kenny?

Comment

• This was such a terrible offensive game to watch in the second half for the Shockers. My goodness. I thought there were some changes being made and that turnovers wouldn't be accepted? HCIB continues to prove that he will ride with certain guys no matter what they do and it is hurting this team. TE should be coming off the bench at this point. He just isn't there mentally and it is painfully obvious. I love the kid and it is painful to say that but it is true. Coaches get paid to make these tough decisions and it is time. Council and Jenkins need to play more. Playing Kenny Pohto only 9 minutes in this game is a joke. Mo had a good game but KP needed to be in there more. Also, anyone still thinking that Grant should be playing PG over Porter or questioning Porter's importance to this offense?? What was it 11 minutes without a bucket after Porter went down? TE and Dex were a combined 4-16 shooting and 3-10 from three with five turnovers. TE, Dex, and Mo contributed 10 of the teams 15 turnovers. Where was the benching for turnovers coach?

This team continues to show a lack of discipline and BBIQ on offense. The shocking thing is it is coming from the supposed leaders on the team.

Comment

• Also, would it hurt to try this lineup? Couldn't be any worse than what I saw in the second half Saturday.

Mo Udeze
        Kenny Pohto
        RCIV
        Dex
        Porter

Comment

• The most glaring weakness in the 2nd half was Mo didn't get the ball...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
            The most glaring weakness in the 2nd half was Mo didn't get the ball...
            I'd say that was second to Porter injury exposing a major weakness at backup PG. Then third would be stupid rushed shots...yet again.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

I'd say that was second to Porter injury exposing a major weakness at backup PG.
              Let's call it a draw!
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Also, would it hurt to try this lineup? Couldn't be any worse than what I saw in the second half Saturday.

Mo Udeze
                Kenny Pohto
                RCIV
                Dex
                Porter
                I'm assuming DD at the 3? Otherwise, that's a waste of what DD does well even if he's not scoring (which, unfortunately is most of the time).

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

I'm assuming DD at the 3? Otherwise, that's a waste of what DD does well even if he's not scoring (which, unfortunately is most of the time).
                  Yes.

Comment

• This may be an unpopular opinion, but to me we clearly were a better team against North Texas, until the following happened:

* A North Texas player injured Craig Porter Jr. (15:22, 39-32) after Craig Porter Jr. blocked his shot
                    * The ref practically stood over Porter's body as he clutched his ankle, letting North Texas play 5v4 until they scored an easy 3PT jumper (15:05, 39-35)
                    * To prevent retaliation, refs then called two ticky-tack fouls they never called before or after that game (14:36, 14:28)
                    * North Texas hits an easy layup (14:23, 39-37)

The mojo of the entire game swung on that 59 second stretch. Not only did we go down to 8 scholarship players and 1 PG, this sequence of plays gave North Texas two ref assisted baskets and made absolutely certain that our players could not get 'fired up' in response to the loss. In a haze, we played incredibly shitty basketball with no clear direction or PG play. When did that change? When an injured Craig Porter Jr. limped back into game and assisted Udeze (5:25, 49-39). We didn't score a point with him off the floor.

While obviously both the players and coaches responded poorly, to me it was pretty clear that this was a game we would have won by 20 points had it been allowed to continue normally, and the breakdown in the 9 minute stretch he was off the floor was not at all indicative of what our team normally plays like. Even with the injury, if the refs had responded reasonably I feel like we could have got our bearings.

Thomas Bell should have instantly gotten a flagrant for grabbing Craig Porter Jr. on his way down, the play should have been stopped, and the Shockers should have gotten two FTs and the ball. This game goes differently if we start that stretch 43-32, and not 39-37 and in an 8-on-5 situation with no breathing room.

By the way, shame on the TV announcers for chocking up this to North Texas's greater 'toughness' when the game swung on Craig Porter Jr. literally getting injured (and he should not have re-entered). That is just such an incredibly improper comment in that context, and it was something that they said again and again throughout the last 5 minutes of the game. No, they aren't tougher just because they got to injure our player with no consequences and faced no adversity whatsoever. They were beneficiaries to the way the game played out.

Anyway, we win this game going away under normal circumstances and I'm not going to point fingers at the team for what happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
                      This may be an unpopular opinion, but to me we clearly were a better team against North Texas, until the following happened:

* A North Texas player injured Craig Porter Jr. (15:22, 39-32) after Craig Porter Jr. blocked his shot
                      * The ref practically stood over Porter's body as he clutched his ankle, letting North Texas play 5v4 until they scored an easy 3PT jumper (15:05, 39-35)
                      * To prevent retaliation, refs then called two ticky-tack fouls they never called before or after that game (14:36, 14:28)

The mojo of the entire game swung on that 59 second stretch. Not only did we go down to 8 scholarship players and 1 PG, this sequence of plays gave North Texas two ref assisted baskets and made absolutely certain that our players could not get 'fired up' in response to the loss. In a haze, we played incredibly shitty basketball with no clear direction or PG play. When did that change? When an injured Craig Porter Jr. limped back into game and assisted Udeze (5:25, 49-39). We didn't score a point with him off the floor.

While obviously both the players and coaches responded poorly, to me it was pretty clear that this was a game we would have won by 20 points had it been allowed to continue normally, and the breakdown in the 9 minute stretch he was off the floor was not at all indicative of what our team normally plays like. Even with the injury, if the refs had responded reasonably I feel like we could have got our bearings.

Thomas Bell should have instantly gotten a flagrant for grabbing Craig Porter Jr. on his way down, the play should have been stopped, and the Shockers should have gotten two FTs and the ball. This game goes differently if we start that stretch 43-32, and not 39-37 and in an 8-on-5 situation with no breathing room.

By the way, shame on the TV announcers for chocking up this to North Texas's greater 'toughness' when the game swung on Craig Porter Jr. literally getting injured (and he should not have re-entered). That is just such an incredibly improper comment in that context, and it was something that they said again and again throughout the last 5 minutes of the game. No, they aren't tougher just because they got to injure our player with no consequences and faced no adversity whatsoever. They were beneficiaries to the way the game played out.

Anyway, we win this game going away under normal circumstances and I'm not going to point fingers at the team for what happened.
                      Coach Brown?
                      Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Also, would it hurt to try this lineup? Couldn't be any worse than what I saw in the second half Saturday.

Mo Udeze
                        Kenny Pohto
                        RCIV
                        Dex
                        Porter
                        Exact same one I suggested about three games ago when we had time to experiment
                        and I asked what phase of the game TE had been performing better at than RC ?

Comment

This may be an unpopular opinion, but to me we clearly were a better team against North Texas, until the following happened:

This might have had a small impact and was complete bullsh!t that the ref allowed that to happen. However, it was not the sole reason and to say the Shox would have won the game going away had this not happened is wholly inaccurate. Good teams and coaches overcome that kind of adversity.

Comment

This might have had a small impact and was complete bullsh!t that the ref allowed that to happen. However, it was not the sole reason and to say the Shox would have won the game going away had this not happened is wholly inaccurate. Good teams and coaches overcome that kind of adversity.
                            Agreed. Doesn't say much if one guy goes down and we go on an 0-20 drought.

Comment

I agree with the opinion we probably win w/ Porter on the floor and the refs **** the bed over the entire incident, but we, including the staff and the players have to respond better because crazy stuff like that happens. The most disturbing things is our non reaction to it and zero offense ran when Porter was out of the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X