Redshirt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redshirt?

With the speculation of whom might redshirt this year, it brings up the question, with the new transfer portal should redshirting be eliminated except for medical reasons?

Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post
    With the speculation of whom might redshirt this year, it brings up the question, with the new transfer portal should redshirting be eliminated except for medical reasons?
    Why?

The portal doesn't really change that much other than making the moves simpler and more public to more people quicker. Not all kids are opposed to redshirting for various reasons. Some know that it can be beneficial, especially if there's some upperclassman talent at your position. You don't waste a year of eligibility to barely play.

Kids don't have to agree to redshirt. If they don't, and you still don't play them, they're going to transfer and no harm done. If they don't agree to it and you play them a few spot minutes here and there, they've effectively wasted a year of eligibility on their way out.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

It's pretty easy for a Fr to want to take a redshirt. Work out for a year with a D1 team to improve recruitment status and transfer without losing a year of eligibility. Probably beats taking a year of prep school. Ricks is taking a redshirt to get stronger. He can probably see room on the roster next year. When Eldridge discussed Abidde, he used the term "if he stays", which I found a little alarming.

Comment

I agree with you, WuTheOne. Taking Abidde before he goes to Prep school late in recruiting and redshirting him makes no sense to me. Then to possibly have him transfer next year I don't understand at all.

I see no reason WSU couldn't use him this year. This last weekend, Dennis was playing the 4.

Comment

I completely missed the “if he sticks around” comment about Abidde. Perhaps that’s just one of the reasons HCIB is interested in King although I think they bring different talents to the team and don’t see Abidde as a potential at the 5.

That being said, we never really know what kind of discussions the coaches have with these guys during the recruiting process but based on what the recent string of players have said about HCIB, he’s a pretty straight forward guy and, if I’m not mistaken (I often am), I thought I read somewhere that Ricks had planned to redshirt when he got here. I think it’s a valuable tool to have a RS option because a coach can grab a kid who has lots of potential, red shirt him and develop him for a season without losing eligibility. FHCGM was fantastic at building a deep bench and having 10 to 11 guys in the rotation. HCIB seems to be carrying on that tradition, but it’s hard to keep everyone happy with playing time with such a long bench.

Maybe Abidde is expecting to play right away but I thought he’s been banged up.

Comment

Curious drop in, at a minimum.

Comment

Working...
            X